My Big Toe Forum

Discussion and Explanation of the Writings of Tom Campbell: The Paradigm Changes Here
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 747 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

antispam: No
What is the sum of 3 and 2?: 5
Dear Sainbury.....thank you so much. Yes, this certainly addresses my question. So thank you for tracking the information down and posting it. You, Ted, Donna, Keith and so many others do so much to help and support us and most importantly aid and support Tom!!!! Which needless to say, benefits all of us....so very, very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:58 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think it has been a very positive step forward to initiate input from others into the Fireside Chat sessions....great idea folks! If I may make a suggestion to improve on the current process here are my recommendations for setting a few basic rules:

1. Questions should be composed so that they are as concise as possible....maybe set a limit of 25 words or so? I know I need to put more effort into structuring my own questions....long winded questions have close to zero appeal to everyone else.
2. This particular thread is not the place for back and forth discussion or banter on any particular topic....that sort of thing takes place in other sections of the forum.
3. If a particular question has been covered in detail by Tom previously, if someone has a link or other reference to that previous discussion, it is a good idea to include it....but leave it at that.
4. Providing that Tom does not get thousands of questions, I would leave it 100% up to Tom to review the questions in advance of the Fireside Chat and decide which ones 'he' would like to respond to.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:29 pm 
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Quote:
1. Questions should be composed so that they are as concise as possible....maybe set a limit of 25 words or so? I know I need to put more effort into structuring my own questions....long winded questions have close to zero appeal to everyone else.
I agree with you that questions should be concise. However some questions need a little backstory to put them into context. The fireside chats also offer a place for more "advanced students" to ask more "in depth questions" that they truly want a personal answer to. Although the fireside chats are broadcasted to everyone else, sometimes an advanced practitioner truly cares about getting a solid answer to a particular question regardless of anyone else's interest in it. This seems to be the particular forum / method for having that achieved.
Quote:
2. This particular thread is not the place for back and forth discussion or banter on any particular topic....that sort of thing takes place in other sections of the forum.
Definitely true. Although if someone posts a question on this topic that has already been effectively answered, it is OK to post the answer here in response to their question as Linda has done. Perhaps I'll split these mini question-answers into their own separate topics to keep things organized and flowing in this particular thread.
Quote:
3. If a particular question has been covered in detail by Tom previously, if someone has a link or other reference to that previous discussion, it is a good idea to include it....but leave it at that.
Very true as well. I'd also like to add that others should do their own research on this forum as well. Many topics have been covered in serious depth, and are easily accessible once you work your way around the "search" function on the forum. A tip for all is to put in Tom's board name "twcjr" as the author and then type whatever you are looking for in the subject line. Before posting a question here, please try a quick search to see if you can find your answer.
Quote:
4. Providing that Tom does not get thousands of questions, I would leave it 100% up to Tom to review the questions in advance of the Fireside Chat and decide which ones 'he' would like to respond to.
It is my understand that Tom does review these questions before answered them. Not to mention I don't think I've ever heard Tom not answer a question asked in an interview. Although, he certainly does get 1000's of emails weekly now I'm guessing, and it's completely impossible to answer all of them. It is also my understanding that Tom wishes to filter traffic to the forum, where many questions have been asked and answered thoroughly, and new questions can be answered by those with the understanding to do so.

Oliver - if you think it's helpful, I can split this topic up so that the question / answers contained in this thread can become their own topics, and this thread can remain strictly questions for the fireside chat. Let me know

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:12 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hi Adam,

as for as I'm concerned you don't have to split up the thread. The idea was to have it to collect questions and I simply scan it for new questions prior to each session to transfer the questions to a question list where Donna and Tom then both can review them.

I will also transfer a question even if it is answered here as long as I don't recall any other video where Tom answered it verbally already since not that many people will check this thread and if the question is interesting we can still discuss it during the Fireside chat. Actually for the session this Sunday we only have 4 new questions from forum users...

Best regards
Oliver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Hi Adam,

Actually for the session this Sunday we only have 4 new questions from forum users...

Best regards
Oliver
So Oliver,

are we past the deadline than for asking new questions that will be included in, ( I guess this is the March chat session ), this Sunday ?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:03 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Brian, you can post your question at any time, it might still make it in this session or it might get shifted to the next one. It always depends on various factors like how many other questions from direct participants we get, how much time it takes Tom to answer other questions and thus if we make it through the entire list before we have reached the end of the session...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:59 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

If there are only a few questions posted so far for Tom, I would believe that not only myself but many others would like to hear some more of his thoughts and theories on 'dreams' that has not already been covered. I have been studying and analyzing dreams, albeit only on a part time and occasionally basis, for over 40 years and I have heard countless explanations and theories...some good...some not so good. One thing that is very obvious to me, the dream puzzle is far from being complete...there are many pieces left off the board and what that picture really looks like is anything but obvious. Oops...that is more than 25 words....I will try to be more frugal with my words in the future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dave,

You might want to read this thread on: Aspergers, Dream reality as a VR,and a parsimonious computer which Brian50 started and make contact with Brian.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9232

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks Both Dave and also Ted..

I felt Dave's question up there to be an excellent 1st question to ask Tom about the dream reality frame.

I also think its a "fair statement" to suggest compared to the other topics that have been covered by Tom, that it is still an exciting area of MBT whereas there is still much to learn about this important reality frame which all of us here experience each night.

In this regard, I do promise to form additional more specific questions about the dream reality frame. Although I do think it is best to wait to hear Tom's reply on Dave's more generalized dream - question first before doing that.

thanks, Brian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I heard a question asked to Tom on a fireside chat about what the guide saw when Tom was stopped from exploring npmr as a child ( the guide looked shocked ). I think its in book one where Tom describes this.

Tom's answer was along the lines of different factions in npmr kinda like politics and Tom was part of one of these political factions.

Tom never really went into depth about it, I guess as it would maybe be to much info for average joe and would maybe give them fears or beliefs ?

But my question to Tom would be this : Tom when you refered to politics in npmr, is that like politics here, ie one parties ideas against another party as in how they want to run things ? And if so who decides which party is in charge ? And as we are all one all part of the LCS is it not like being in conflic with oneself ?

John

Last edited by turbo on Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tom, how does our individual consciousness feel physical pain in the virtual reality in which we are living, or anything derived from the senses, considering that physical pain requires the existence of a physical nervous system that informs the physical brain about the pain. Why is anesthesia placed in the painful zone block the pain. This is very difficult for me to understand.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dinah - this is one of the big hurdles of understanding MBT. It is a paradigm change in thinking. A digital reality has been explained by Tom over and over.

The best way to understand it is to look at one of the computer games like World of Warcraft. If your character falls in the river and drowns it is because of the rules of the game. There is no water in the game and there is no oxygen. But it is part of the ruleset. So if the character falls in the river and can't get out it drowns. If the game were programmed for characters to feel pain when injured and be incapacitated, then that is what would happen. World of Warcraft isn't programmed to the detail that our PMR is, but it is the same idea.

The ruleset of our Virtual Reality says that we as mammals have a certain kind of body that works a certain way. Part of that is that we have process by which a painful stimulus is relayed from the site of stimulation to the central nervous system.

Try reviewing this post from Tom on the rendering of virtual realities.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3043&p=6797&hilit=t ... land#p6797

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:56 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So the information of pain would be sent from our individual consciousness to our virtual nervous system, through which our individual consciousness which is the real one, would feel it back again as a boomerang, and our virtual brain would only reflect the pain, but would be unconscious to the fact that it is not the brain that is feeling, but instead it is our individual consciousness, and this as a part of the limits set upon our virtual brain??

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dinah,

Not exactly. Our IUOC is in many ways like a computer and is not conscious within itself. It receives incoming data in a stream that provides it with the experience of the VR. That data contains the full set of information that provides the experience of your body, the experience of the environment and the experience of interacting with someone which it then integrates with its memory of the past which tells it who you are and what you are like. If you look in a mirror, that image is sent to you (your IUOC) over the RWW for you to experience yourself looking in the mirror. Nothing that you see is physical, only virtual. Between what you see, hear and feel as provided in the data stream, integrated with and interpreted based on the past, your memory, is created the experience of being yourself here and now in PMR.

Unless some medical device is being used to 'show' your virtual brain, it does not even exist in the simulation. But if it had to be observed for some reason, your virtual brain would reflect what was happening to you in the PMR experience data stream. You are not your virtual brain nor your virtual body but your IUOC experiencing itself through the data stream coming from that part of AUM that we call The Big computer.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have an observation and thought experiment that I would like Tom to comment on.

For consciousness to express its free will intent and produce an effect within the boundaries of this VR, it seems the rule-set generally limits an IUOC to a single avatar. From the viewpoint of the little-picture, it should then appear that this avatar produces effects in the VR that can be traced back to a cause without a cause. For example, as an experiment, if the cause and effect chain of a human raising its right arm was traced back and examined at the greatest resolution possible, a boundary would be found somewhere at the quantum level in the brain. This causal boundary would disprove determinism, and could perhaps take quantum mechanics a step further than just random probability. Perhaps this is part of the reason why we have not come to a full understanding of how the human brain works. It is not just the Big Bang that appears acausal with a mystical beginning, but the workings of the brain as well.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 699 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 747 Next