Return Home

My Big Toe Forum

Discussion and Explanation of the Writings of Tom Campbell: The Paradigm Changes Here

To register for the forum, click here

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Diet
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My gosh, don't be so hard on yourself, be good to Nelly. I share your diet woes except for the soda, been off of that for years. Two cups of coffee and then water the rest of the day and night ever since finding out I have Hepatitis C in 2002. When I do have the rare soda like the Pepsi on the way home driving late last night, I feel it and it worked as I was tired. When I stopped smoking cigarettes in 2001 I used patches, when I put one on I felt it because nicotine has a physiological affect, it is psychoactive. When I eat chocolate I feel it but am not ready to give it up, nor payday candy bars at times. When I eat lifesaver brand jelly beans I feel it as it is all sugar and they are sooo good, it isn't good the next day, I still eat them, but I am eating them less often now. There is a physical and or physiological affect from everything we put in us because that is what we are made out of as our system metabolises it and makes protein, or us in the PMR. It is a slow process for me as I have to talk myself into stuff hard to get me to finally do anything. The sugar issue is slowly changing for me, I actually rejected a cinnamon role already in process when I had a thought during the experience of that being bad for me. It made me wonder about doing that for awhile, just having a taste but think it would be hard to have it in the house without eating it all. It is a slow process as I am finding out, but in only two months years and years of bad habits are being thought about being changed all the time. Eventually it gets through or something because my actions or choices are getting a little better, very slowly. Go for two C's next time and feel the power of choosing to do that, if you chose to do that. You can do whatever you put your mind to a little bit at a time.

Love
Bette

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nelly and Bette,

Sugar and caffeine are addictive psychotropic drugs. So expect to have the same reactions (addiction psycology) of any drug addict going off an addictive substance. You will experience cravings that push you toward the sugar bowl, may have physical discomfort, tension, or fidget issues, will likely get snappy/grumpy, will concoct a boatload creative excuses, will twist and turn every which way to justify another hit that is somehow OK, unintentional, or doesn't count.

It isn't easy. Just because an addictive psychotropic drug is so pervasive in our culture that it is not illegal or controlled, and its "high" (i.e. affect on consciousness) is therefore defined as "normal" does not make your interaction with it fundamentally any different than any other addictive psychotropic drug. All the same addictive responses hold. And we stuff that dope into our children and feel particularly good about it -- like we were doing them favors -- because we ourselves are so thoroughly addicted to being comfortably blotto on happy syrup -- living with a reduced awareness in a sweet, soft-focused, fuzzy reality. Yum! Yum!

Like any addictive drug, successfully getting free by tapering off gradually is in some ways easier and in some ways harder. That you live in an addictive culture just makes it harder.

This is a view from outside of your cultural belief system, so it will no doubt seem verry strange.

Tom C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Tom
Thank you as always. Maybe just cutting things out one at a time can help, that's sort of what I have been doing for a long time here. I'm such an addictive personality, I have figured to just try to aim my addictions towards less destructive things like education. Many people get addicted to Narcotics Anonymous when finding it, one of my good friends does this and he has been clean for a long time now. I tend to replace one addiction with another.

Love
Bette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Tom: because we ourselves are so thoroughly addicted to being comfortably blotto on happy syrup -- living with a reduced awareness in a sweet, soft, fuzzy reality. Yum! Yum!

That is sugar alright:-)
In my mind artificial sweeteners seem to be just as bad if not worse in a different way. They won't make you soft and fuzzy but wonky and throbbie ;-) I was told by a friend that a commercial Pilot he knew was told not to have any diet drinks before flying because of the affect they may have. That's not a tick of approval in anyone book.

Thanks,
Peter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Peter,

You are entirely correct. The artificial sugars are a little different but just as bad -- worse in some ways.

Bette: Being addicted to narcotics, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, or meth, and being "addicted" to education or watching TV represents two entirely different things. One is a literal physical addiction to a psychotropic (consciousness altering) substance while the other is only habit or attitude (sometimes figuratively called "psychological addiction"). Mixing the two together is part of that twisting and turning justification I was talking about.

Tom C

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ok, thank you Tom, as always.

Love
Bette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeap, it sure is an addiction; I even woke up this morning feeling like I almost OD on sugar. LOL

Note to self: Think Discipline!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is an interesting website on diets, addiction, etc. Dr. Bass website

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Geez... that was enlightening.

Now that I've completely, willfully and gladly dropped alcohol (and right before Christmas to boot), I guess I will now consider kicking the caffeine & sugar habit. Every day, large coffee, 2 sugar, 1 cream - ouch! I must be completely retarded wrt my consciousness awareness.

I suppose these are some of the necessary small steps required for the development of my own consciousness awareness. I had no idea how badly the foods we consumed could affect our awareness. Or maybe, I just never wanted to believe that this was the case. As Tom says, we live in an addictive society.

Regardless, I'm more motivated and committed than ever to pursue my own growth and to get back in touch with my consciousness. I have already noticed small significant changes in my attitude and behavior since I started MBT and there's nothing I love more than seeing, feeling and the tasting results (or pudding provided that it's sugarless of course).

-carle

Post subject: Re: Diet part#2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Also I meant to ask you Tom.. is garlic also a consciousness inhibitor ?

I remember watching a documentary with Dr Beck who insisted that garlic is a poison and that encephalograph results revealed clinically dead brain waves after ingestion.

Here's the video for those that haven't seen it. It's very interesting watch one way or the other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3gm1hLo ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am very happy I found this thread, but now it sounds like I have a terrible addiction to sugar that I have to address. I had no idea that it impacted consciousness so adversely.

There is no question that I feel slightly drugged all the time, and I often blamed sodium fluoride in the water as a possible agent, and some food preservatives. I knew sugar was unhealthy, but tasty so never considered removing it from my diet completely. Alcohol is something I still enjoy from time to time, but even that is not a big desire and a must have.

Clearing the body and the mind is something this thread is giving me lots of energy towards applying. My poor sweet tooth won't be happy. I'd much rather have a clearer consciousness then a sugar high any time of the day.

Are there any vitamins or key food items that are more beneficial to consciousness, such as certain grains, or vegetables? If we remove sugar, what foods empower our consciousness?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:56 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

On word - Stevia

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

YouAreDreaming,

I read that glutamine helps those who try to withdraw from sugar (or other addictions). We must take it when we have a rage for sugar. I never tried it, but I read that many had great success with it.

Recently, I heard from Julia Ross interview (author of Mood Diet and Diet Cure), that those who desperately need sugar to maintain a good mood have generally a poor protein diet. The brain want sugar those ease the pain from not having enough amino acid ( Tryptophan and Tyrosine) that are used to build serotonin and dopamine.

Very interesting. I'll surly buy one of her book to learn more that.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Kevin wrote:
On word - Stevia

Agreed! Just drank some tea with this "natural sweetener".

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

MySgMyLuv-
I empathized with your love of chocolate-I may have a solution. Find 100% chocolate Ghirardelli or Lindt (very bitter),and slowly melt it over hot water, adding a bit of agave nectar (27%glycemic index,organic and no blood sugar spike),pour onto a plate and let cool.Or, use organic milk,unsweetened pure organic cocoa, and a little organic agave to make hot chocolate.
Is this the first MBT recipe?

Donna

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next