Return Home

My Big Toe Forum

Discussion and Explanation of the Writings of Tom Campbell: The Paradigm Changes Here

To register for the forum, click here

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ASMR: Head tingles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hello all,

Does anyone else get these? I do, and I thought everyone does, but apparently not?!

http://theunnam3df33ling.blogspot.com/

http://www.asmr-research.org/

Ranger

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: ASMR: Head tingles
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Never heard of it. When my head tingles, I wash my hair. You sure this isn't just one of those weird 'Internet' things?

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When I first got into meditation I experienced these kinds of sensations inside and outside of meditation, not so much anymore. Back then I was learning a lot of new very expansive concepts that I had not considered before. I read many books! Some folks may consider this an indication of growing ones awareness, activating the crown chakra which are metaphors of course. I take it as simply data, something that may or may not indicate anything. As Ted says, perhaps you just need to wash your hair. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:54 am 
Normal User
Normal User

haha - I can assure you that what is left of my hair gets washed on a daily basis!

SLiVeR, this has also happened during meditation several times. Initially, I thought that everone experiences this from time to time, but after researching, apparently not.

I remember the first time this happened as a boy in infant school. I was in the playground and my shoelace came loose. As I tried in vain to tie a bow, one of the dinner ladies cam to my aid and tied it for me. Whilst she was doing so I got this ASMR thing.

Someone coined the term Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) in 2010. It has also been known as 'the unnamed feeling', 'head orgasm', and 'spingle', short for spine tingle. It is hard to explain, but it is like a tingle which starts in the scalp and may move down the spine. It is usually, in my case spontaneous, but can be controlled to some extent, and re-experienced shortly after an initial ASMR. The physical sensation can be accompanied with euphoria, and I suppose a lack of concentration - I assume due being engrossed in bliss - sometimes it is hard to snap out of.

I get something similar (but not as powerful) when listening to Monroe's focus 10 CD - the part where you relax your head and turn it inward, so it seeps into your brain.

For me, ASMR is triggered when

listening to certain people talk.
listening to someone whisper.
watching someone else perform a concentrative task.
listening to certain music.
Appreciating scenery.

These are a few, there are more. If you youtube 'ASMR' there are even ASMR trigger videos.

My theory? This happens moreso in individuals who utilize the right hemisphere of their brain more than the left, or when in a state of right brain domination. Its a guess, as I am a rightie.

I'm certain this is not an internet thing, and certain that I'm not crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ranger,

Interesting theory, and really neat stuff you shared! I felt it was a signal of sorts that had to do with expanding awareness, sorta like flexing a muscle that wasn't used much before. Now I do still experience this on rare occasions, but certainly not in the way you seem to. It's like someone is putting their hand on my head accompanied with a tingling electrical charge sensation, it never goes down the spine. The trigger is not as obvious for me, seems to relate to times where I am particularly contemplative.

What's important is what this experience means to you, and how you interpret it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:02 pm 
Consciousness will and can use various physical and physical like means of getting our attention. It sounds like when you interact with, experience, or perceive outer "fast vibratory" patterns, consciousness triggers a physical kind of reaction to get your attention.

I sometimes see a point flash of white light when i'm reading or writing/thinking something that is particularly spiritually expanded and more accurate than not. It's a "sign" by the guidance level of consciousness, a way of getting my attention, when i'm not listening enough to the more quiet and inward intuition that i'm normally tuned into.

I imagine there are various ways that this can happen. You are already doing what i would be doing with this particular kind of experience, you're paying attention and seeing if there are any patterns to be noted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My palms are tingling, sometime almost burning, when I send healing energy. This is very strong sensation. I feel movement like energy entering an upper part my head, so called Crown Chakra. When it just started, a sensation was so strong, that i felt my body was spinning. It comes like waves, and a strength of this can be different. With time this area on my head has expended, and includes a forehead, temples, in a back of my head it goes almost down to a neck. Sometime, for instance, right now, I have squeezing sensation around my head. Most of the time it means, that I an tired, nervous or something like that. It feels like a pressure, and it can go under my eyes, can spread on a low part of a back of my head. it can be combined with a wavelike feeling. When I am sleepy, it seems energy is pushing inside of a scalp.

Lena

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This happens to me whenever I watch something that I resonate with. It is just like in the description. I feel ecstatic when it happens and I'm overwhelmed by the good sensations. I think the expression "you gave me the shivers" came from this kind of exposure as described on the ASMR website.

I experimented with generating this sensation on demand while I watched a video. If I wanted to do it intellectually I did not get the sensation but if I just started feeling the emotions portrayed in the video with no caring about the result it would immediately start. I was able to repeat it 3 or 4 times one after another.

Now after reading this thread I did it again :). http://vimeo.com/21294655 is the video. The video is about pictures in motion with the aurora phenomena. I suggest to watch it just for it's awesomeness. I don't know if you would get the same effects as me but you may give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:48 am 

That's interesting..that happens to me too. Thought it was something that happens to everyone. What triggers my tingles most of the times is music...I feel an indescribable sensation of pleasure. Sometimes if happens spontaneously. Lately the sensations starts at the back right part of my head. Also I had some tingles sensations in my forehead...that started since I began to do some chakra work...focusing on the 6th one..the 3rd eye. Will investigate a bit more about it. Thanks for sharing it :).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I do have a physiological "thing" that happens that seems to be associated, or I have associated it anyways, with writing or doing homework. I don't have homework anymore, but this "thing" used to occur when I needed to write AND I would be a flow writer when I listen to it. Now it comes still with writing, but with the books I am working on. I just finished a book, a short story. It is the first book I have finished, and I know it isn't really finished. Well, I think I know that as I don't really know what happens next. But the "thing" I experience when I am able to get into flow writing is extremely itching hands. It is intense. I also have weird hand sensations since Arthur has been wringing my hands for years, plus I have carpal tunnel probably, and damage from a car wreck in 2005. But this itching hands is something unusual so may be what you all are talking about too. You think?
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:12 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Interesting. Whether this is physiological or met-physical is another question. Personally, I stick to the right brain dominance theory, because these tingles generally occur to music, scenes, etc. For instance, it is unlikely these sensations would occur (for me at least) in left brain mode e.g. after solving a maths equation - but more research is needed. it would be great to see EEG readouts during ASMR. Bette, it could be similar. generally ASMR occurs in and around the head, or at the base of the spine in my experience and is accompanied by a pleasent euphoria, or a feeling of well-being. I read somewhere that itchy palms are a result of energy or something?

Cheers

Last edited by Ranger on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

bette wrote:
But this itching hands is something unusual so may be what you all are talking about too. You think?

More importantly, what do you think? :-) Good that you are noticing a correlation between this event and activities surrounding it. I googled Reiki + itchy + palms and found some interesting things. Some say it might mean you would make a good healer. What Ranger said about energy was mentioned as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes this is a good sign....stay with it. For me, head tingles were a handshake to let me know that I was connected to the reality wide web.You are connected.It may eventually move to other parts of your body. For me it was the physical saying that it is ready to give support for where ever the mind leads. Try to guide the sensations down around both sides of your head with your intent.Don't get too wrapped up in the physical sensations if your mind is still and clear, just let them happen. If the mind is not leading you towards consciousness solitude then play with the sensations, try to move them around with your intent. Take small bites and be happy for whatever you get. Head tingles were my gateway to extraordinary meditations.The next sensations will probably be from the area of the root chakra as you progress, let me know if I am wrong.

Don't intellectualize it
Don't analyze it
Just let it be

Best of luck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Simba wrote:
The next sensations will probably be from the area of the root chakra as you progress, let me know if I am wrong.
Simba what would that feel like and where would one feel it, please?
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have experienced the same feeling of tingling sensation, sense of well-being and euphoria. For me it seems to come when I feel that I am making a "breakthrough", when I'm FULLY present in the moment and at times of "feeling" the connectedness of everything. I have always called that feeling a "level up" (as in a video game when your character reaches a new milestone).
There have been times ( for me) when this sensation would come in waves and linger for days, always at times when I would be reading influential books (it happened to me while reading MBT, for example) and watching the youtube videos that Tom made.
I do get it while practicing mindfullness meditation and contemplating the unity of all things. There is a feeling of euphoria that comes with the knowledge that I am connected to EVERYTHING

peace
patrick