High Entropy wrote:
Thank you very much for your exciting answers. If i may i have a few more.
1) Do you use money? If yes How do you make a living secluded as you are?
2) Do you use technology?
3) Do you live in houses?
4) Do you all have to speak one language?(i.e. Italian)
5) Do you have comforts/necessities/authorities that a community has? (Hospital/Stores/Police/Fire Department)
6) Do you perform weddings?
7) What's your stance on sex?
8) Do you have a resource based economy?
9) Are you thinking of expanding? ie creating a new community in another country.
I hope i am not becoming tiresome. It's just that i would like to try living there some time. I'll definitely visit though. I live in Greece. It's pretty close.
Thanks Ted!!!! ;)
Next batch of questions:
1) Yes, we use money. We have our own currency called the Credito. You can read more about it here: http://www.damanhur.org/index.php/about ... -a-credito
. As for making money, we are not secluded, we are incorporated into the Valchiusella valley across many small towns. All citizens have jobs, either within the community or outside.
2) We have a website, Facebook page, Google+ page, Flickr group, Youtube channel, stream all our public meetings, ipod app for the Temples and the Book of Synchronicity, Music of the Plants... yes, we use technology.
4) No and yes. Italian is the dominant language, but there are people that speak many other languages including English, French, German, Croatian, etc. If you would like to live at Damanhur, I highly encourage you to learn Italian, you will integrate into the community much faster this way.
5) We have a medical center for Damanhurians and others alike. It is open to everyone and uses traditional and holistic methods. All citizens learn CPR and our homes are equipped with everything necessary to administer first-aid until medical professionals can arrive. Our Civil Defense Association routinely helps with emergencies in the valley and afar: http://www.damanhur.org/index.php/socia ... ssociation
6) Yes, Damanhurians get married. Marriages are renewed after a period of time, putting an emphasis on creating a harmonious relationship where each person is growing individually and as a unit. Here is a small snippet about it: http://www.damanhurinside.com/the-thous ... s-of-love/
7) The stance is that there is no stance. It is up to each person to choose if they want to have sex and with whom.
8) Not exactly. We have the credito, which is our monetary system. In addition to it, we share, barter and trade.
9) We have centers and some nucleos in other cities and countries, but Damanhur cannot be replicated in another place. Community is created from various different pieces: culture, language, energy of the land, people, projects... You can't just pick it up and put it somewhere else, instead, what Damanhur would like to see is for people to create their own communities. Community means working together for common goals. You can do that by living together, or by creating projects together and living apart or some combination of the two. We have our projects and we share the tools we have developed in order to accomplish them, but it is up to each community to take those tools, expand on them and manifest their own projects.