Return Home

My Big Toe Forum

Discussion and Explanation of the Writings of Tom Campbell: The Paradigm Changes Here

To register for the forum, click here

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted. Why does it bother you so much that my opinions are different from yours or others and why do you like to isolate me like I am always the only different one? Well, I am different, don't get upset because I am different. People are different and it is good to accept that fact and let others exercize their free will. You keep saying "respect the free will of others" and you are always doing the opposite with me, trying to force my free will, trying to make me think the way you think I should think. Hope you can analyze this and learn.

This website promotes Tom's model and his books. The videos do the same. I never said that Tom only cares about promoting, but he does want to promote his model, otherwise he could keep everything hidden. We are not in an election for you to try to imply why I say what I say. Don't create a competition that does not exist.

Claudio

> http://soprano.com <

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Claudio,

I am not opposing your free will other than to attempt to prevent you from misleading others by providing another point of view when I feel it to be necessary and that misleading is probably not deliberate on your part. Be welcome to your opinions. What I am opposing is your adamantine failure to think through things. Your failure to pay attention to what Tom has actually said and that I have actually said in favor of an interpretation you make based on a limited selection of information, just ignoring whatever facts and statements you do not wish to consider. Others can do this thinking through and considering the things that you choose to ignore and you are more than adequately intelligent to do so. Yet you persistently refuse to do so. When others have joined you in an opinion, I have included them in my comments and you were not singled out then. You are only 'singled out' now because only you are expressing this viewpoint and ignoring the facts. No matter how much I point out details and facts illustrating this problem, you continue to say that it proves nothing. Can you explain this? I cannot.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted Vollers wrote:
What I am opposing is your adamantine failure to think through things.

Ted, can you prove it? What am I thinking now?

Ted Vollers wrote:
Others can do this thinking through and considering the things that you choose to ignore

I am skeptical about your abilities to know what everybody thinks, and what people ignore. Is it choosing to ignore something always bad for thinking?

Clau

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

DrTechnical wrote:
I asked my wife to simplify it down as she felt was appropriate, as it is her contact. After prodding her to get around to this task, she finally sent a note to her producer friend this morning.

There are different ways to spin this scenario. But here is my take. If the producer is interested in a very short verse about "the physics of making your own reality and the consciousness connection", she still needs to speak with me, or have the more verbose description sent her way, or do her own research by watching a few vids referenced here on MBT. In any case, a modest amount of homework will either peak her interests, or deter them. I suspect it will work out for the best either way?

Good job James. Thank you and thanks to your wife for giving it a shot.

Claudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Claudio,

I think that you were then thinking when you made that post, I've got him now as he can't possibly figure out what I'm thinking and has never claimed he could. Safe bet on my part making such an absurd demand that he state what I am thinking. I've won! Some kind of conglomeration of these concepts is a pretty good bet on my, Ted's part.

Regarding knowing what others are thinking, I generally base my guess or understanding as the case may be on what they say or put in a written statement. It is only an assumption that others say what they are thinking, but it is the social convention and generally in the right ball park. Those who say one thing and think another eventually loose credibility unless they always keep it a secret and maintain a perfectly consistent facade. In your case, I am assuming that when you state something, you are thinking it rather than just writing it down without thought. That is a big assumption but I would like to think that it either is or could be true. My knowledge of what you will not consider is based upon what is said by others that you do not either acknowledge or take account of in your further statements and thus are by definition ignoring. Basically, you yourself prove my point for me.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent, Dr. T. Glad to hear that your wife was willing to start the process. Please thank her for Tom and myself. Best wishes for the rest of the process that you will have to handle.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted Vollers wrote:
I think that you were then thinking when you made that post, I've got him now as he can't possibly figure out what I'm thinking and has never claimed he could. Safe bet on my part making such an absurd demand that he state what I am thinking. I've won! Some kind of conglomeration of these concepts is a pretty good bet on my, Ted's part.

You are funny Ted. Sorry, but you proved that you are a bad mind reader. If you want to speculate what people think, take into account that people have different QoCs. I am not what you think I am. You are right that I ignore things, though. I tend to ignore your thoughts regarding competition. I don't compete with you. I try to improve myself, though.

Ted Vollers wrote:
My knowledge of what you will not consider is based upon what is said by others that you do not either acknowledge or take account of in your further statements and thus are by definition ignoring. Basically, you yourself prove my point for me.

And what is your Intent or goal when you write what you just wrote? You want to feel like a winner? (e.g.: "you yourself prove my point for me"). Notice that "you yourself".

How can you know what I acknowledge or take into account? I select to write what I judge important. Intent tends to drive writing. I know what my Intent is when I write, but I don't know exactly what others' intents are, specially when I don't see a clear message or target, like in the doubts and concerns spread in this thread. Keeping thoughts clean is key in lowering entropy and thinking using a low entropy configuration proves to be profitable as the evolution of information systems tends to move towards that. If I am curious about something I might ask, to find out. I don't tend to keep doubts.

Anyway, your message is not 100% clear to me. I think both want James' initiative to move forward. Is there something else that you want? I think by this time, you and others may have found out that Claudio is a very practical person and doesn't want to delay good intended initiatives.

Claudio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Claudio,

I think that the reason our attitude's towards this 'project' differ is that from a limited viewpoint, you have decided that it should be done and insist that it should be done no matter what. I want it to be attempted by persons who are aware of the full situation, the desirability of it being done on the basis that Tom considers it to be desirable to be done. I want it to be attempted and guided by persons who have sufficient subtlety to manage to present it in the best possible way to be accepted on this basis. I don't want it to be done on the basis of a bull in a china shop that insists on moving in the direction that the bull wants, irregardless of the destruction that might result. And I think that is fully clear to those who most need to know it, whether you understand or are willing to understand or not.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Ted:

Your message is more clear now, but I don't know why you compare Tom with a bull. James (DrT) started the initiative and you are helping him out, that is good, IMO.

You are not reading me well, you are reading the Claudio you create, not me.

Claudio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know we've discussed Tom doing a TED talk before. I just saw this mentioned on facebook. They are going to consider YouTube videos for the 2012 TED conference.

http://mashable.com/2011/04/18/ted-auditions/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sainbury wrote:
I know we've discussed Tom doing a TED talk before. I just saw this mentioned on facebook. They are going to consider YouTube videos for the 2012 TED conference.

Ted, Ted, Ted!!!!

Lol, its in New York. hehheheh

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Mashable wrote:
This is the first time that the conference has held public auditions. You can submit yours by uploading a one-minute video to YouTube or Vimeo that explains your idea, and then linking to it in the online application.

One minute to explain a paradigm shift ?

Whoa ! I'd say that's a sizable constraint !

Last edited by RBM on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sainbury wrote:

TED audience could be interested in Tom's presentation, and a presentation doesn't have to sound like New Age. I would not vote for anything, but TED looks appealing to me.

Lena

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is some quotes from ebook Psychological Self-Help by Dr. Clay Tucker-Ladd. http://www.psychologicalselfhelp.org/Ch ... p1_20.html In this chapter he talks about mass media and psychology.

Quote:
Nona Wilson (2003)also documents the massive and unfettered-by-facts commercialization of self-improvement (via the development of star personalities), such as by John Gray, Tony Robbins, the Oprah-Dr. Phil team, and many others. Self-improvement has often been turned into entertainment and infomercials. Billions have been made off of troubled, hurting people hoping for help from “professionals” on TV and radio and in print.

Now, Dr. Wilson (2003) argues that popularized and commercialized pop-psychology degrades and distracts from the basic scientific psychological methods and treatment. This quietly tolerated growth industry (we don’t know, yet, if it is malignant) has quickly expanded in 15-20 years to become huge, wealthy, and powerful. And I agree with her that all this young pop-psychology, but especially the trash, may have a down-side that could seriously harm its original sources, i.e. therapists and the science of helping. Both the mental health professions and the public should stay alert to the dangers. In the mid-90’s there were about 150 shows offering advice each week. They were popular and profitable, e.g. each Montel Williams’ show costs about $50,000 to produce but it earns $400,000. It is estimated that Oprah has earned about 800 million dollars, largely by offering psychological advice, support, and motivation. Just because a show makes money doesn’t prove it improves the listeners. But millions would say they have benefited from Oprah’s shows and the books she recommended.

Dr. Wilson suggests that the primary focus of mass media gurus has shifted from sympathy for the victim during the 1980’s Recovery Movement to critical, scolding, take responsibility lectures, e.g. Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil, in the 1990s. She also believes that the players in mass media psychology have become far more powerful—more influential with the public—than the professional helpers and their disciplines (that the shows take their material from). I believe that. The tail (entertaining performances—some quite elaborate) is wagging the dog (the scientific foundation for psychological help).

Advertising is critiqued by Dr. Wilson because of its powerful role in defining “the good life.” The strategy of advertising is to arouse new wants and feelings of insecurity and then offer solutions (for a price). Psychological needs fit well into that scheme (some would call it a scam), it is pretty easy to make someone want better relationships, more power, or to feel inadequate or insecure or unsure of how others feel about them. Advice, like advertising, usually involves selling something. In talk shows, the entire program is the commercial. Tony Robbins sold 25 million copies of his book, Personal Power, mostly through late night infomercials—do you suppose that was the best book available between 1990 and 1997? No. Dr. Wilson describes in detail how Oprah and Dr. Phil teamed up to produce a series of selfpromotional shows to sell his books. Dr. Phil interviews people briefly, and then just as briefly tells them what to do. His advice is not profound, it is not based on research, and it is similar to what an overly confident neighbor might tell you. But in the right circumstances, it can seem impressive. Most practicing psychologists think giving quick, blunt, over-simplified advice is a poor therapeutic response.

Psychologists invited to talk shows have been encouraged to be interesting, clever, and describe brief cases…but to avoid “reciting boring statistics.” Other guests report being encouraged to stir up excitement by confronting members of the audience; other professionals report being surprised by attacks on the show from other hostile guests who were clearly invited by the show’s producers. Does this sound more like entertainment or sharing professional knowledge and expertise?

Wilson contends that whenever professionals enter the marketplace, perhaps selling a book, therapy, a group, or other service, they experience pressures to impress others as well as be entertaining. They are also likely to feel some temptations to make overly optimistic promises, use testimonials (which are not scientific or objective), and approve blatantly misleading ads. These kinds of enticements tend to sabotage the integrity of professional service and research. Professional helpers need to guard against being influenced by the “advice industry.” Some psychologists have insisted that their publisher tone down the advertisements.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We may not have got Oprah, but we may have the attention of the Dilbert fellow, which actually would be better. A while ago I started noticing forum topics showing up in dilbert cartoons a few days later.

Probably a coincidence

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next