Return Home

My Big Toe Forum

Discussion and Explanation of the Writings of Tom Campbell: The Paradigm Changes Here

To register for the forum, click here

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted,
I hear your frustration, but I doubt that YouTube WANTS you to be frustrated, and not be able to find things well. Do you hear what I am saying?
Love
Bette

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted,

I think the fifth part is not on YouTube, or not available for viewing (to be viewed) yet.

Lena

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Marcus73 wrote:
I wanted to say a big thank you for all the hard work you've put into these videos. They are fantastic. I love the questions and conversation that erupted. Informative and a great addition to all the knowledge Tom has shared with us.

Thank you a million times over to all who worked on and participated in this! And thanks to Tom for sharing his time and information.

Peace,
Mark
Welcome to the forums Mark! Your screenname reminds me of Marcus Patrick Osborne, formerly Marcus1974 on YouTube, an aspiring breatharian and ex-movie star who wants to help us all learn to be love! (And looks damn good doing it :)

He once starred in a movie with Rosario Dawson, the voice of the female lead in Avatar.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Marcus73 wrote:
I wanted to say a big thank you for all the hard work you've put into these videos. They are fantastic. I love the questions and conversation that erupted. Informative and a great addition to all the knowledge Tom has shared with us.

Thank you a million times over to all who worked on and participated in this! And thanks to Tom for sharing his time and information.

Peace,
Mark

Mark,

your signature; (your dreams are your myths ) sounds like you are familiar with Joseph Campbell, my other favorite "Campbell", lol

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:44 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

pgtrue wrote:
Marcus73 wrote:

Peace,
Mark

Mark,

your signature; (your dreams are your myths ) sounds like you are familiar with Joseph Campbell, my other favorite "Campbell", lol

Hello pgtrue...

Yes! It is Joesph Campbell. Have always really enjoyed his work...especially Hero with a Thousand Faces. Really drew me into a larger picture idea many years ago.

But what is it with all these Campbells and their monopoly on insight? ;)

Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:51 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

AeroLynda123 wrote:
Marcus73 wrote:

Peace,
Mark
Welcome to the forums Mark! Your screenname reminds me of Marcus Patrick Osborne, formerly Marcus1974 on YouTube, an aspiring breatharian and ex-movie star who wants to help us all learn to be love! (And looks damn good doing it :)

He once starred in a movie with Rosario Dawson, the voice of the female lead in Avatar.

Hi AreoLynda...good to meet you too!

I've been lurking behind the scenes and reading the trilogy and forums these past many months. The book (sigh) is tough going for an old english major, but very focused and full of great information.

Anyway...I'll have to check in on this Marcus1974 on youtube. (I might have stumbled across him before?) Sounds like an interesting fellow with a proper goal in mind. But thank you for introducing yourself Lynda...I'm sure I'll see you round the forums.

Peace,
Mark

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Location: South Carolina currently, home state- Michigan, also have lived in Florida
Ted,
I'm no expert on YouTube but I think you'll do better if you actually go to Tom's YouTube page. All his stuff, and the playlists are there in order. (I just checked and number 5 isn't there yet, though.)

If you go to any one of his videos on YouTube, click on "twcjr44". It appears over the video that is playing. Click on it and you will go directly to his page.

I hope this makes it more user friendly for you. The frustrating part you are talking about is more for browsing. Browsing can be helpful sometimes. That's how I found Tom and MBT. :)

Jeanne

Edit: Go straight to Tom's page by clicking here: http://www.youtube.com/twcjr44

Last edited by Jeanne212 on Tue May 17, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Interesting.

A couple of comments with an eye toward future such gatherings:

Arg! Those chairs you folks had to sit in look like they can't be comfortable for more than a few minutes. I imagine that having to sit in them for hours is sufficiently uncomfortable to substantially inhibit thought process and the free flow of ideas.

You know in most cities of any size, there will be at least one church or temple with a meeting room with lots of old stuffed furniture... big comfortable chairs, loveseats and couches and informal group meetings that occur in such places tend to be much more relaxed and flowing in my experience .... they are generally available to rent for a very modest fee ... or generally many colleges have a good many such rooms where people can just flop out, relax and interact.

Another thing: That flourescent lighting... too bright and too nasty! Next time everyone bring a big candle to light and kill the overhead stuff! Conversations had by candle light are, as a rule, superior.

Another possibility is to meet out of doors somewhere, should the weather be clement... a state park or community garden, or by the shore of some body of water ... again for reasons of light, not during the middle of the day but more toward the edges ... from dawn to 10 AM,and then from say 4 PM to after dark.

In general, it is hard to overstate the sensitivity of group process to ambient conditions.

Also please review the post On Group Dynamics: Structure, Process & Outcome viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6023

I don't often make promises, but I do promise that if group facilitating strategies such as the above are given a tryout, that there will be a substantial and qualitative jump in satisfaction with the results, both for individuals and the group as a whole.

PS Thanks Jeanne... like Ted I have sometimes found youtube series videos to be problematic to access. Thanks for the good steer!

-Montana

If one wants to one's Own Personal Spaceship, That ownership can happen; ...but understand beforehand that you ARE committing to learn the set of Piloting skills necessary to operate it. It's a bit like bronc-riding; in this case the bronc is The Self.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Montana wrote:
A couple of comments with an eye toward future such gatherings:
Even you saying this puts a smile on my face. Future Get-Togethers! Hooray! :)
Montana wrote:
Arg! Those chairs you folks had to sit in look like they can't be comfortable for more than a few minutes. I imagine that having to sit in them for hours is sufficiently uncomfortable to substantially inhibit thought process and the free flow of ideas.
Somehow I didn't notice any discomfort or feeling like I needed to get off the chair any time soon. I was mesmerized the whole day.
Montana wrote:
You know in most cities of any size, there will be at least one church or temple with a meeting room with lots of old stuffed furniture... big comfortable chairs, loveseats and couches and informal group meetings that occur in such places tend to be much more relaxed and flowing in my experience .... they are generally available to rent for a very modest fee ... or generally many colleges have a good many such rooms where people can just flop out, relax and interact.
Ok when you put it THAT way, yes, a church sounds much nicer. K&D, is there a Unity Church near Matthews or Charlotte?
Montana wrote:
Another thing: That flourescent lighting... too bright and too nasty! Next time everyone bring a big candle to light and kill the overhead stuff! Conversations had by candle light are, as a rule, superior.
But what quality of video would the non-attendees get? Montana, as a non-attendee yourself (right?), how did you think the video turned out light-wise? Would candlelight suffice?
Montana wrote:
Another possibility is to meet out of doors somewhere, should the weather be clement... a state park or community garden, or by the shore of some body of water ... again for reasons of light, not during the middle of the day but more toward the edges ... from dawn to 10 AM,and then from say 4 PM to after dark.
Dear God i LOVE This IDEA! Outdoors would have been great this year had it been normal weather for NC at the end of March. To my understanding, that rainy cold Saturday was an anomaly.

I hope so! Paul wants to golf next year!

Montana wrote:
In general, it is hard to overstate the sensitivity of group process to ambient conditions.
I thought we did ok despite the fluorescent lighting and somewhat firm (now that I think about it) chairs.
Montana wrote:
Also please review the post On Group Dynamics: Structure, Process & Outcome viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6023 ...

-Montana
Thank you, I skimmed it quickly last week but didn't have time to digest or assimilate anything. Damned forty-hour-a-week-plus job! Thank Goodness for some well-earned time off :)

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Montana wrote:
Montana,

yes, those chairs were uncomfortable.
Quote:
I cannot say, that it bothered me at all.

It would be nice to be in a park. It was raining on Saturday. I think, it has to be a tent or another kind of shelter, for us to hear Tom, and another microphone has to be cared around to ask questions. This can create more organizational problems.

Lena

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yep, the chairs were agony for me. I was very sore by the next day. I will definitely bring a cushion next time.

Controlling the lighting and the audio conditions is paramount to get good video and audio for those who can't be there.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sainbury wrote:
Yep, the chairs were agony for me. I was very sore by the next day. I will definitely bring a cushion next time.

Controlling the lighting and the audio conditions is paramount to get good video and audio for those who can't be there.
Ok I am outnumbered on the chairs, apparently my (God-given) "natural" cushioning prevented me from noticing.

Glad we are agreed that the video must be high quality though! In a tent outside or in a church with comfy chairs would be fine by me as long as the video does not suffer in any way.

The in-person experience was unforgettable, but with a memory like mine, the video helps bring it back more vividly.

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Conversation pits, that is what we need. They are sunken living rooms basically with one step down as the seat in circles or squares, padded, kick back, pass the...I mean, let's talk face to face to face to face...
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

bette wrote:
Conversation pits, that is what we need. They are sunken living rooms basically with one step down as the seat in circles or squares, padded, kick back, pass the...I mean, let's talk face to face to face to face...
Love
Bette
LOL! Fat chance of getting All of Us to "pass the..." .. But other than that this "pit" sounds delightful!

We've still got 7 or 8 months to hammer it all out, and knowing us, I'm sure it will all work out just fine :)

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well having enough light fir satisfactory video can be a concern, I guess. I know camera-dom has come a hell of a long ways since my days of toting around a 35 mm SLR. Have to ask K&D about that... would filming by the light of a dozen candles work well? It just might.... the light would be well distributed so you wouldn't have any harsh shadows... the contrastiness would be much lower but to my mind that would not be such a bad thing too much visual information is just as much a drawback as too little.

YOu know those fun yellow tinted sunglasses...? How you look up at thy sky off in the distance and all you see is haze and maybe a trace of cloud structure and then you put those glasses on and a huge wonderful panorama of cumulus and stratus appears over the horizon...? And notice that that panorama got revealed because you reduced the amount of visual in formation coming in the pipe?

I don't need to be able to make out the wrinkles in Joe's ankle socks, or in Joe at all, for that matter, to get the sense, the flavor of his being and his interactions with others that are there... and that is what the audio-video should be about, IMO, is transmitting the feel and the information .... the inconsequential data are just that.

I am sounding critical and I don't mean to. This was all a fine production... I just see the people there and, I have some training with groups and all so certain things pop out at me.... the harshness of the light was one of them.

One more technical tip.... maybe set up a cam right in the middle of the audience somewhere and then put a mask on it so it looks like a human face... and remind time to talk to it, make eye contact with it as much as with the regular human faces in the room.... and the fact is that that mask hides an indefinitely large number of viewers in the future. Making eye contact with the cam is a powerful and simple technique.

OK, enough with my film-critic crap!

I've enjoyed very much seeing what I have so far... I guess part 5 is still in the ether? Or waiting to be hunted down on you tube.... and I have yet to visit 3 yet.

Thanks to all for making it available!

-Montana

If one wants to one's Own Personal Spaceship, That ownership can happen; ...but understand beforehand that you ARE committing to learn the set of Piloting skills necessary to operate it. It's a bit like bronc-riding; in this case the bronc is The Self.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next