Below is a message I posted about a year ago on another site. I think I was on the right track with most things, others I'm not so sure about. Please take a look and let me know what you think.
What a Great Question!!
Where does the conscious mind go?
I was reading a section from a book by Muldoon and Carrington. The section is titled "Where and What is the conscious mind?".
Here is a summarized text from: The Projection of the Astral Body
Where does it exist? Where is the conscious mind, when it is not conscious? . . . we know we are using the mind, and that it (apparently) becomes unconscious. Yet, where is it, during unconsciousness? That is the great question! It seems . . . ridiculous to believe that the conscious mind can instantly evaporate into nothing . . . Now, if it were possible for the conscious mind to become 'nothing', during the interval of sleep/coma, how could it recreate itself at the end of that interval, with duplicate perfection - from nothing? And, on the other hand, if it be still in existence, throughout the oblivious period, how can we account for the fact that we are not conscious at the place where consciousness exists? And where DOES consciousness exist?
. . . Others are of the opinion that, when sleep intervenes, the conscious mind is exteriorized in the astral body - therefore one is unconscious. But how is it that the subject is not always aware of being exteriorized in the astral body, . . .
I think this is truly a great question!
Here are my thoughts along with some questions and possible answers.
If it is possible that during astral projection for the conscious mind to shift from the physical to the etheric, then to the real time body or the astral body and so on. Then I believe it is possible that the conscious mind is always active, moving from one body to the next. Think about this, it's the physical body that needs sleep, not our consciousness. Why would God, higher beings or even ghosts need to take a nap, unless it be habitual? What I mean is, isn't their consciousness constant?
I believe we've been given a wonderful learning tool in astral projection (with or without physical awareness). Astral projection is the only way (I know of) a physical human can access "hands on" higher levels of learning. What would be the purpose of accessing this information in a comatose state. Perhaps, while our physical mind is inconscious our conscious mind is making its way from one body and plane to the next like grades in the oldest university in existence. The whole time storing what it learns and experiences in the memories of the corresponding body or highest developed body. If you think about it, the higher bodies have the ability to store memories. After all, if the physical conscious and subconscious were our only storage centers then death of the physical would be the death of us. Hopefully, the following Q & A will fill in some of the holes I left in this statement.
Why do we not remember any or all of this?
1. Maybe all the memories are being stored in the subconscious (shadow memories) waiting to be accessed by whatever body is developed enough to retrieve them.
2. Maybe the highest body is the only body that has complete access to all the memories of all the bodies, with each body below it having access to its corresponding level and all the ones below it.
3. Some combination of the first two.
What about conscious exit and re-entry?
1. The physical/etheric awareness maintains control of the projected body via the silver cord or some form of telepathy.
2. Version of mind-split: During re-entry the memories are downloaded into the physical brain during the sleep/awake or flicker stage of consciousness.
What about when I become conscious in the middle of a projection?
1. The physical becomes roused for some reason, creating the sleep/awake state of consciousness, like the waking hours when most spontaneous projections take place. During this stage the projected body's awareness shifts back to the physical creating a link to the physical brain via the silver cord. You ever wonder why, when you become aware in the middle of a projection you can't remember what you or projected body were doing? Why you were at that particular place. Maybe, this is a result of the physical/etheric not being developed enough to access these memories.
What are my astral bodies doing while I'm not aware?
1. I believe we are higher beings in training and if consciousness is 24/7, why sit idle? Hopefully, we are out there learning, exploring and doing good deeds.
What about duality?
Maybe this happens while awareness is moving between bodies, like what you might feel if your awareness moved into the middle of the silver cord between bodies momentarily receiving and storing information in both locations.
What about those mindless semi-conscious projected drifters you see on the astral planes?
1. Consciousness has moved on to a higher body/plane, leaving that body behind like bread crumbs or a link in a chain that holds our bodies together.
2. Or they are simply thought forms, never seeing a drifter until you read or hear about one.
What is the mind?
I believe it is conscious awareness: Gaining more power, awarenss and memories while moving up through the bodies. Next time you project, explore your memories, not your surroundings. Maybe it's possible to gain access to the higher level memories if they exist or if you're developed enough.
I only read this yesterday and posted this today, so if it has some holes in it, you have to forgive and remember it's a theory.
I think this is a valid question, and if there is some truth to what I've said about the conscious mind, then it brings about the possibility for some new and ingenious projection techniques or refinement of older ones.
Maybe the reason Robert Bruce's NEW energy system works so well is because it increases psychic ability/power helping us create that telepathic link with our projected bodies.
I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts and inputs on the conscious mind.