Return Home
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:08 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

One can use binaural beats to encourage OOBE, remote viewing, or healing ability.

You can purchase Hemi-synch, a professional mix of binaural beats and other sounds (Google "The Monroe Institute") or you can make your own binaural beat audio file for free. Which is better? Only you can answer that with experimentation -- everyone is different. Both have the ability to help you learn to be a good meditator. Many individuals find binaural beats helpful, some don't. Google "binaural beat" and find a site that lets you make your own customized audio file for free.

The binaural beat frequency is the difference between two base frequencies. A pure tone generated at the base frequency goes in one ear and the base frequency plus the desired beat frequency goes in the other ear (using stereo headphones). The two tones combine in the brain producing a "beat" frequency that is the difference between the two pure tones. This beat frequency (which you can "hear") drives your brain wave pattern toward the beat frequency, thus inducing an altered state of consciousness similar to a very effective and practiced meditation state.

If you already know how to meditate you won't need to ramp in and out. Make several binaural beat stereo audio files using different base frequencies and use each for a month to pick the one you like best.

Some suggestions: 100 Hz and 104 Hz; 500Hz and 504Hz; 2000Hz and 2004; 5000Hz and 5004Hz These different base frequencies will all produce a 4 Hz binaural beat. Males tend to like the lower frequencies and females the higher.

You can try a slightly slower beat (difference between frequencies) of 3.75 or 3.8 instead of 4 later on if you get to that level of refinement.

Experiment. Continue to experiment always, but don't jump between things too quickly. Take the long view ...take your time .. don't rush the process.

Many people, especially in the beginning, want to ease themselves into and out of the 4Hz theta brainwave state. This softening and slowing the transition to and from the desired theta state of 4 Hz (to make it easier to follow) is called ramping. The ramp going in from beta to theta should be slow and gradual enough for you to follow. The ramp coming out from theta back to beta can be much quicker and steeper. On and off ramps are individual.

A typical relaxed, focused in the physical, awake state is in the beta region (20 to 15 Hz) A typical meditation state is in the alpha-theta region (somewhere between 14 to 7 Hz). To encourage OOBE or remote viewing, or healing ability, you want to be in the theta region at about 4 Hz or slightly less (3.75 Hz to 3.8Hz).

If you are a good meditator you don't need ramps at all.

If you are fair, start in the alpha region and step down in 1 Hz steps from 10Hz to 4Hz to theta. Each step should last anywhere from 30 sec to 3 minutes depending on how quickly you can follow (better meditators follow more quickly).

If you are poor at meditation, start in the mid beta region and step down in 1 Hz steps from beta at 20Hz to theta at 4Hz. Each step should last anywhere from 30 sec to 3 minutes depending on how quickly you can follow. Lower your starting beat frequency as you get better at it.

Once you are in the 4 Hz theta state that is your goal, stay there for a half hour to two hours -- that's enough. You are in this physical reality for a reason. Do not use this as an escape. It is a tool, as is meditation itself, for teaching you to eliminate the noise in your mind thus allowing you to more powerfully, clearly and steadily focus your conscious intent. You want to learn the process of coming and going to and from this 4 Hz state so that eventually you can do it on your own. Sometimes try it on your own without the binaural beats.

So you see, you have to do some experimenting to optimize your sound to your ability and then modify the sound as your ability changes. One size does not fit all.

Trying to sort all this out in a week or two won't work so well. Pick 3 to 5 different configurations that span your personal unknowns. If you are a good meditator, use each one for a few days cycling through all configurations three or four times each. If a fair mediator, use each configuration for a week or two, cycling through all configurations at least three or four times each. If you're a poor meditator, use each configuration for at least three weeks, cycling through all configurations four or five times each. Dispense with a given configuration when it is clearly inferior to the others (but not too quickly). Every three to six months add new more refined configurations that are converging to your optimum. In several weeks to a year, depending on where you start and how quickly you progress, you should find an optimum sound. Use it for six months to a year or two, by then it will be time to change it because you will have changed. Commit to a life of constant experimentation because, as you progress, what is optimum changes.

Binaural beats are like training wheels on a five year old's bicycle -- eventually you must wean yourself from the training wheels and take them off or they will retard your development by locking you into specific altered states when you should be free to shift states as easily as you shift your attention. Eventually, you will even let go of formal meditation because you no longer will have a need for the process. You will be able to accomplish the same thing (actually better, being unencumbered) instantaneously. Do not become habituated or addicted to this tool or any tool -- or the tool that was once so helpful may turn into a self-limiting crutch.

Tom C

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Do you suggest using these even if you have just begun meditating? or should you try without first to get more of a manual feel, becuase I haven't really started meditating regularly yet and I could imagine it could help but hinder someone like myself if they started out with using these. One more question, Im guessing the quality of headphones matters so what would you say the minimum quality of headphones should be to get good results?

Thanks Tom

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Great detailed instructions there from Tom, which should be of huge practical value to many.

I like this particular line: "Commit to a life of constant experimentation because, as you progress, what is optimum changes".

How true I have found this to be from my own experience, and as an addicted experimenter (doing potentially lethal chemistry experiments in the kitchen years ago nearly meant this PMR packet terminating early in my teens!) that adds to the fun as far as I'm concerned. How I meditate has changed umpteen times in the past year, and I'm sure it's a part and parcel of the activity.

With all this info from Tom, I'm sorely tempted to start playing around with binaural beats again - just to see what happens!

Arthur

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow Tom! I just purchaced some Hemi-sync cd's from TMI to use at home. I was thinking "I wish I had some advice on how to use these things from someone in the know."

How's that for an Aha moment? Thanks Tom. :D

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for your detailed explanations Tom.

Everyone is different. I have had mixed results from Hemisync. Most times I'd say it was hindering rather than helping. It put me in kind of a poorly focused drowsy state. Though, a few times, it put me quite easily into deep meditative states. Overall, I'd say that I retain my awareness while my body gets asleep much better if I don't use it and just focus on quiescing my mind from all mental noise.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:31 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tom,

Thank you very much for this, a great guide!

Everyone,

If you're willing to spend cash but want more flexibility than HemiSync will give you, there is a program called Neuro-Programmer 3 (they must have just came out with 3, I got it when it was still 2). For $60 you can customize and record your own binaural beat sessions using a very powerful variety of tools. A lot of the pre-programmed sessions are really good too, and they're all customizable as well. I've enjoyed using the program and would definitely recommend it.

I need to see if they still offer free upgrades...

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
One more question, Im guessing the quality of headphones matters so what would you say the minimum quality of headphones should be to get good results?
Not wanting to pre-empt any answer from Tom or others, my own answer would be that headphone quality doesn't have to be exceptional to get the binaural effect. Average quality should be good enough. I would say comfort is at least as important - a nice lightweight pair that doesn't produce a lot of heat and sweating around the ears. For me, the foldable Ultrasone Cans fit the bill on all counts, and can be picked up at a good price.

Arthur

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would also recommend standard headphones that cover both ears completely over earbuds. The earbuds worked okay if the ambient noise was relatively low but the headphones seem to focus your hearing more directly on the BBs.

Ramon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

could someone pretty please post a beginner protocol mp3 file that steps slowly into 500-503.755 for an hour?

unless this breaks some rule or something

===
edit

did some poking around, came across this

http://www.iphoneappsplus.com/healthcar ... /index.htm

which I will add to my I-touch this evening and test drive, report back

I-touch is great way to open up the world of I-apps for a one time cost of $200 - you can even do skype to landline calls on them if you are in wifi range.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

the above app does not seem to be available. IBrainWave is interesting. It provides a simple interface with a bar that you can pick your Hz, from 4 to 40, and manually dial down

Can't figure out any I apps that will permit 3.755

playing around with this free download:

http://gnaural.sourceforge.net/download/

my only frustration is that it won't let me manually nail 3.755..you have to sort of guess from the visual cue of the y axis

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I downloaded the gnaural program and tried it this morning. I did some adjusting on the beat frequency, making it a steady beat of roughly 3.75 but leaving the ramps on either end. This was by placing the points in between the line for 4 and 3.5. I felt it was as effective as the hemi sync tapes. Maybe more so for a free flow exercise without the verbal guidance.

One of the things I didn't change was the base frequency setting which, on the standard track, ramps down from a higher frequency to one in the 100s. I found that the effect was stronger for me at the lower frequencies. The next attempt will be changing the base to a steady 100 (roughly) with ramps up and down on either end and see how that works. So far I like the program and plan on experimenting with it quite a bit. I do agree that the user interface could be much better.

Ramon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I do agree that the user interface could be much better.
This entire post was absolutely geektastic, great data. This statement above brought out my brat, are you talking about your "mind" here Ramon? :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Bette,

Of course THAT interface could be improved greatly. I'm working on it! : )

kroeran,

I just found that if you right click the data points you can enter precise values. So now mine is mostly a steady 3.755 beat with occasional spikes to 7. That improves my opinion of the program immensely. Expanding it to full screen mode also makes it easier to nail things down a bit.

Ramon

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Expanding it to full screen mode also makes it easier to nail things down a bit.
As having a view of the bigger picture tends to allow. You must be on a roll today Ramon. ;)
Love to you and yours,
Bette

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Bette,

Of course THAT interface could be improved greatly. I'm working on it! : )

kroeran,

I just found that if you right click the data points you can enter precise values. So now mine is mostly a steady 3.755 beat with occasional spikes to 7. That improves my opinion of the program immensely. Expanding it to full screen mode also makes it easier to nail things down a bit.

Ramon
you da man!