Return Home
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:51 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Purpose of sleep
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:12 am 

I was wondering why it seems that we need sleep. I have seen Tom talk about people, including himself, forgot water and food for extended periods, basically the LC allows for a change in the rule set that is used as a wake up for everyone. Has anyone forgone sleeping, not forcing it of course, without any side effects? I myself fall asleep immediately and have trouble waking up, I feel like time could be used more constructively without all this sleep. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Purpose of sleep
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I was wondering why it seems that we need sleep. I have seen Tom talk about people, including himself, forgot water and food for extended periods, basically the LC allows for a change in the rule set that is used as a wake up for everyone. Has anyone forgone sleeping, not forcing it of course, without any side effects? I myself fall asleep immediately and have trouble waking up, I feel like time could be used more constructively without all this sleep. Thank you
Yes. The body needs the sleep. Consciousness does not need to sleep. It does not sleep.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tom did do a post on sleep once.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewto ... +functions

Sleep has multiple functions that are necessary for the maintenance and growth of the individual — it is not that some are more main and others more secondary, all are important — they are just different like the multiple functions of your circulatory system (delivering nutrients, taking away wastes, fighting infection, and maintaining temperature).

There is the physical need that everyone is aware of as well as the non-physical need that few are aware of. Sleep provides an alternate reality for us to have experiences in (i.e., to have intents and make choices in). The events, situations, intents, choices, actions and interactions experienced while sleeping, meditating, traveling or exploring in NPMR, or any other such “non-physical“ reality (outside of PMR) are as valuable and pertinent to our learning process as the experiences in PMR. We individuated units of consciousness (including your dog) operate (exist, learn, and grow) in multiple realities. PMR is just one. And as said above, none are more main or more secondary, all are necessary — they are just different like the multiple functions of your circulatory system — in the bigger picture there is no hierarchy by importance.

Each of the realities in which your awareness (ability to make choices) operates provide a unique experience-space that supplies a specific type of learning opportunities (there may be just two — PMR state and dream state — or a half dozen or more, depending on the level with which your awareness functions). Yes, even if you do not remember your dreams you are still dreaming (everybody appears to go through REM periods during sleep) and using the dream reality as a learning tool — you are just not consciously integrating that experience with your PMR experience. Even if you do remember your dreams, that does not ensure (in fact it is unlikely) that you will optimally integrate the two experiences within your PMR awareness.

That there are physical and non-physical realities is a false distinction that we use to discuss the subject of reality with novices who believe that they inhabit the only knowable, the one singular, reality -- and that it is physical — the only reality that is or can be physical from their point of view.

You, as an individuated unit of consciousness, exist and operate in multiple realities which are simply different from each other — each has its own properties and physics. Whichever reality your awareness is in at the moment (whether you can access only one or many) appears to be “physical“ according to its own rules, while the others appear to be non-physical. A reality being physical or being non-physical is only a matter of individual perspective or point of view and has nothing to do with the fundamental significance or nature of any reality. All realities are learning labs. All appear “physical“ in their own unique way when you are operating within them. All provide unique growth opportunities (consciousness evolution) through interaction. All are fundamentally equivalent. All exist as part of the larger consciousness system of which you are a part. This multiplicity of opportunity is simply the nature of reality as it appears to an individuated unit of consciousness. The system is designed for your, and thereby its own, evolution.

http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/viewto ... 18#p44718

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:02 am 

Hello,
Thank you for the post. I see now that I have not been aware and able to use sleep as another arena for growth.

I have yet to experience insomnia, entering the deepest sleep almost immediately, and I don’t remember my dreams. Often if I am in a stressful situation I just go to sleep and awake renewed. Sleep is like my private hideaway, something I really look forward to, yet at the same time trying as it takes up so much of my time. I have just not actively utilized it.

These talks of awareness and being able to use sleep as an interactive reality are intriguing. I am going to look for more posts on OOBE and how to bring my meditation in.

Thank you for taking the time, I should of done a better search, the amount of information here is daunting. I have ordered the MBT trilogy as well.

Many thanks,
Leda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When you dream you act from the being level and not the intellectual level, and that is how you are still working on your entropy. And looking at the decisions you made in your dreams will give you an idea of who you are at the being level. Unless you are lucid dreaming, (being aware you are dreaming,) then you have no control over your dreams. And there is nothing for you to do but possibly analyze what decisions you made in your dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
When you dream you act from the being level and not the intellectual level, and that is how you are still working on your entropy. And looking at the decisions you made in your dreams will give you an idea of who you are at the being level.
I agree with you here because, in part, my journals support your assertion.
Quote:
Unless you are lucid dreaming, (being aware you are dreaming,) then you have no control over your dreams. And there is nothing for you to do but possibly analyze what decisions you made in your dreams.
This has not been my experience. I have had more creative control while in the waking state whether it is a lucid dream, false awake, out of body, or any other metaphor used to describe phasing/switching into another data stream. The only distinction is the degree of awareness and focus in the range of fuzzy dream state versus waking state. The waking state exploration is where the NPMR "bootstrapping" takes place that Tom refers to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

John,
Quote:
This has not been my experience. I have had more creative control while in the waking state whether it is a lucid dream, false awake, out of body, or any other metaphor used to describe phasing/switching into another data stream. The only distinction is the degree of awareness and focus in the range of fuzzy dream state versus waking state. The waking state exploration is where the NPMR "bootstrapping" takes place that Tom refers to.
I was not fully sure what you meant by waking state here.

Did you mean for example during meditation ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
John,
Quote:
I was not fully sure what you meant by waking state here.

Did you mean for example during meditation ?
I am in the waking state as I respond to your post. You are in the waking state as you read the post. You are in the waking state in meditation initially and I qualify that because it is largely dependent upon your focused awareness,intent, LCS permissions and your success in clearing the monkey chatter.