Return Home
It is currently Mon May 10, 2021 8:04 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been meditating regularly for about a year now. I have yet to Phase out for very long, but I have gotten the 3-D blackness with some success and some distinct impressions along the way, but lately I have been plagued by a swallowing reflex while lying down to reach my meditative state. I feel my body falling off to sleep and then BAM I have this urge to swallow. It doesn't always happen. I just wondered if anyone has battled this successfully? I know that it won't happen if I do a sitting meditation instead of lying down, but I relax so much easier lying down. Should I give up the lying down routine for awhile and work from a sitting position or is there a technique for getting past this reflex?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Beau,

Try propping your head up with a pillow, I have had the same thing from time to time also had the uvula dropping back and giving me a little choke/snore action,,,,good stuff :) .

thynes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have the same problem.

When I start loosing sense of 'my body' I feel the need to swallow .. I'm lying on a pillow, so I tryed changing my head/pillow position.. it worked, more or less. So try that few times. It disrupts the whole meditation for me at least, I meditate for about a month now. Maybe since you have more experience, this distraction of changing position will not affect you as much.

Anyway.. I think it's also linked to sleep. Since when we sleep, the swallow reflex is automatic.. the brain usually does all those things, including swallowing automatically. Like breathing.
But since this is not sleeping, we don't exactly loose awareness.. I'm not sure why does it happen.

Maybe the brain makes a mistake, since we loose the awareness of body (like in sleep), and the automatic reflexes including swallowing kicks in. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I have tried propping myself up differently but so far I haven't hit on the right mix. I know that if I'm on my side I don't notice this reflex but then its so much easier to fall off to sleep. There are days when I meditate and I don't have this reflex or at least I don't notice it, but when it's there it is so frustrating.

I had hoped someone had an exercise for not noticing it or something, but I will try the position shift this evening and propping up a little higher too.

Thanks to both of you.

Yours,
Beau

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have come across this problem because it is very related to an induction technique in Lucid Dreaming.

The technique which is kind of like meditation or traditional OBE is called WILD (Wake Induced Lucid Dream).

You have three options as I see it.

1. Ignore the swallowing, the mere thought of the problem makes it worse.
2. Ignore the problem of the swallowing, just swallow and don't think about it. That won't cause any problems as you quickly disperses from your mind.
3. Position your head higher on the pillow than normal (maybe two pillows), it can lessen the swallowing problem. Can be combined with 1 or 2.

Combining all 3 is the best idea is my guess.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

These physical problems can be a real bane in meditative activities, but once you get used to the idea of parallel processing, as Tom and others always recommend, they become less and less important. Just regard the physical niggles like swallowing as part of the PMR VR that you know you're participating in, and then get on with what you want to concentrate on for your NPMR experience - just like you can be thinking of what to get for dinner tonight while you're driving your car. I used to take forever getting into what I thought was the 'perfect' state for NPMR experience - trying to get rid of aching neck, getting arms and legs just right, etc, (and I too am constantly swallowing) and often never managing it. With practice and the concept in your mind, you'll manage it simply by shifting your focus, almost anywhere/time. I'm a fidget-bum par excellence, so if I can do it, anyone can! :)

Arthur

PS. I do find the little mental phrase from one of the TMI H-Plus series tapes "Plus 10, relax,relax" does always help in quieting me down. It still works even after about 25 years since I first used the tape, though of course, you don't need the tape itself after the first couple of listens.