It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:57 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: "Thought For The Day"
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It is not so much what you believe in that matters,
as the way in which you believe it
and proceed to translate that belief into action.

from the book The Importance of Living by Lin Yutang 1937

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

when we stand before the throne of the almighty, we will be judged, not by our actions, but by our intentions ~Ghandi~

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yikes, scary, good thing it is fiction. I would dislike having that thought any day, but to each his own I suppose. Belief systems. I recall speaking on the Dali Lamas facebook page just as if he was a regular person, just like Gandhi. Sorry, but belief systems, really? This is the Wisdom & Big Truth thread, after all.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Yikes, scary, good thing it is fiction. I would dislike having that thought any day, but to each his own I suppose. Belief systems. I recall speaking on the Dali Lamas facebook page just as if he was a regular person, just like Gandhi. Sorry, but belief systems, really? This is the Wisdom & Big Truth thread, after all.
Love
Bette
Isnt it all the same? it is just metaphor. Tom always seems to stress the importance of intention

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There isn't any room for Belief Systems in Wisdom and Big Truth, I mean, that is WHY they are wisdom and big truth...
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
There isn't any room for Belief Systems in Wisdom and Big Truth, I mean, that is WHY they are wisdom and big truth...
Love
Bette

Im sure there is enough room for everyone

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We all use "be-live" systems Bette. Five'll getcha ten that what Tom really means is unvetted "be-live" systems are the problem. You have to be-live in the idea of shape just to organize the visual field, see?

There isn't an atom of data out there that will make a bit of sense unless you have the software (belief system) with which to interpret it.

The crux of the matter is to not be trapped by only one piece of software... or more importantly ,not be trapped by the idea that that piece of software is the only one.

"To a man who knows only how to wield a hammer, all the world's problems are nails. If they can't be solved this way, they are unsolvable".

-Montana

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well sure, but not if the hammer is knowledge, and the view is big enough, but yeah, I'll try to settle down. :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

</Hugs Bette>

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
</Hugs Bette>
Thank you, and back at ya. sorry for pee peeing on your thought of the day thread
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
We all use "be-live" systems Bette. Five'll getcha ten that what Tom really means is unvetted "be-live" systems are the problem. You have to be-live in the idea of shape just to organize the visual field, see?

There isn't an atom of data out there that will make a bit of sense unless you have the software (belief system) with which to interpret it.

The crux of the matter is to not be trapped by only one piece of software... or more importantly ,not be trapped by the idea that that piece of software is the only one.

"To a man who knows only how to wield a hammer, all the world's problems are nails. If they can't be solved this way, they are unsolvable".

-Montana
I think its in the California DVD where Tom talks about mentally filing each of our perceptions (each of which is a hypothesis) with an associated confidence level, with some perceptions being 50%, some 75%, some 99%, but nothing can be 100%.

we cannot be absolutely sure of anything, including our own existence.

so the correct open/skeptical attitude is that we operate with a matrix of hypotheses that fit the data best we can, and try to not let the wish father the thought.

however, if my data closely fits and overlaps with the data of another person, or more importantly closely fits the data of a person who I perceive to be more competent than myself, such as Tom or others here, it would be rational to assign a higher probability to their observations and hypotheses that I cannot yet verify personally, especially if their data can be triangulated with other sources, and if their information continues to be consistent with my experience of reality.

Like when a highly credible guy like Dr. Technical walks in from an outside system and confirms Tom's data, I mentally bump up the probability of this dataset in my mind, which intensifies my comfort and motivation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Rabbi Menachem Mendel Morgensztern of Kotzk, (1787 - 1859) more commonly referred to as the Kotzker Rebbe, was a Hasidic leader, well known for his incisive and down-to-earth philosophies, and sharp-witted sayings. He appears to have had little patience for false piety or stupidity.
Two of his Thoughts For the Day.

People are accustomed to look at the heavens and to wonder what happens there. It would be better if they would look within themselves, to see what happens there.

First, a man is created in his own image, and only afterwards in the image of God.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

For those with an appetite for formal Religion...what I love about Hasidicism is the structure and intensity of religious life, like what the Catholics offer in religious community (monestaries and lay communities), but without giving up any of the pleasures and satisfactions of family life. Catholic Opus Dei would be a close cousin to Hasidicism I suppose.

It has always puzzled me why Judaism, possibly the most advanced spiritual system in PMR(us), never produced a mystical monastic institution, at least to my knowledge.

My personal theory is that while Catholics have six toes in heaven (NPMR), and four toes on earth (PMR), the Jewish meme was constructed to have six toes on earth (PMR) and four toes in heaven (NPMR), for a specific PMR purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. -Jonathan Swift, satirist (1667-1745)

My email thought for the day.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:57 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
For those with an appetite for formal Religion...what I love about Hasidicism is the structure and intensity of religious life, like what the Catholics offer in religious community (monestaries and lay communities), but without giving up any of the pleasures and satisfactions of family life. Catholic Opus Dei would be a close cousin to Hasidicism I suppose.

It has always puzzled me why Judaism, possibly the most advanced spiritual system in PMR(us), never produced a mystical monastic institution, at least to my knowledge.

My personal theory is that while Catholics have six toes in heaven (NPMR), and four toes on earth (PMR), the Jewish meme was constructed to have six toes on earth (PMR) and four toes in heaven (NPMR), for a specific PMR purpose.

for Jewish mysticism look into the Kabbalah:

http://www.jewfaq.org/kabbalah.htm

Other than that the closest thing to monastic life in Judaism was the Essenes. They were around at and before the time when Jesus supposedly lived and some speculation has surfaced suggesting the Christians were heavily influenced by this early Jewish mysticism.

peace
patrick

peace
patrick