Return Home
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:25 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Second Life
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:54 am 

First of all, this being my first post, I would like to send greetings to all the members of this forum.

I ve recently been exploring Second Life (http://secondlife.com/), which is a virtual world. And it`s blowing my mind on how it consitutes a model of reality similar to the one described in mbt. Has anyone here had that experience with second life?

Post subject: Re: Second Life
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:22 am 
Curator
Curator

Tom frequently uses a video game analogy in describing the MBT model of the PMR VR. So it is not surprising that there would be similarities. Second Life is in essence, a video game, using the same kind of technology where you are the mind behind your avatars in Second Life, at least as I understand the game, but never having done anything with it.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:22 pm 

Hi, thanks for the reply.

It`s amazing the similarities.
You have multiple worlds, each one with it`s own rules ( in some you can die, in others you can fly, etc). You can talk with people who are in different worlds ( "telepathy"). You can teleport from world to world... and all this "space" is simply virtual. It would be amazing if Tom could do a talk there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The analogy of a video game has limited usefulness for me in one respect. My awareness is completely that of the character. When playing a computer game my awareness is completely separate from the character. So all the reassuring and liberating ideas about this life being a game of evolution don't help because I don't feel or experience that. To have a game wherein hardly anyone realises it is a game seems to be counter productive to the aims of the game. Would you be as effective playing second life if you totally experienced yourself to actually be your avatar or would you be more likely to succumb to fear and ego?

Subjective and complex content may be difficult for the sender to code and for the receiver to decode without a great deal of error. Mistaking the information received for the information intended is the cause of much misunderstanding.

Last edited by AscensionAddiction on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:37 am 
Curator
Curator

It is the intensity of the interaction that makes the PMR VR effective. It works as well with the clueless as well as with the spiritually knowledgeable and evolved. Knowing that it is a VR can reduce its effectiveness if you take that as an excuse to not play by the rule set. Obviously, at least to me, the management took this into account or they would have never set Tom Campbell on this mission to reset the paradigm to a base of Consciousness. They do seem to take everything into account and they also have access to the future probable database into numerous decades to make 'steering corrections' as necessary.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There seems to be an assumption that this VR is effective. The data available to me doesn't lead me to that conclusion so I remain sceptical as I don't want to accept your word that it is effective as that would be resorting to faith and hope.
MBT seems to me to allow the logical possibility that this particular PMR at this particular time is increasing entropy and therefore may be wound up or significantly altered if things don't turn themselves around.

Subjective and complex content may be difficult for the sender to code and for the receiver to decode without a great deal of error. Mistaking the information received for the information intended is the cause of much misunderstanding.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:58 am 
Curator
Curator

There is an historical record that says that is has been effective. We have much better communication now that we are aware of all of the negative things happening where ones circle of news was once very local and word of mouth instead of effectively global. There is much less casual brutality and much more control exerted to minimize it. Despite potential problems, there is progress in evidence.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Fair point. Although we should I suppose take into account the dramatically smaller global population in times of more obvious signs of brutality when attempting such a comparision.
Also the fact that things may well have been even worse in the past isn't the most resounding of endorsements.
And would an effective system really be this slow especially considering the unimaginable aeons of time that have passed in AUM time compared to PMR?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
There seems to be an assumption that this VR is effective. The data available to me doesn't lead me to that conclusion so I remain sceptical as I don't want to accept your word that it is effective as that would be resorting to faith and hope.
MBT seems to me to allow the logical possibility that this particular PMR at this particular time is increasing entropy and therefore may be wound up or significantly altered if things don't turn themselves around.
the attitude I would suggest is that we have available several interpretations as to what is going on, materialist, para-materialist, religious, humanist and on and on, and the our only logical approach is to study each interpretation and then see what fits our direct experience.

we then invest in the best model available, and if it seems to work, one then starts to more assertively explore the implications and suggestions of the model, as one develops confidence.

when one reads serious history, it becomes quite evident that the way people treat each other, military enemies, the destitute, has gradually become more syntropic over time.

for example, in Roman times, the wealthy could purchase a prisoner from the jails, and it was considered to be avant guard, to place such a prisoner on a pedestal during a social event at a palace, and alive, alight him on fire for the amusement of the guests and to light the room, or so has been reported.

or consider how orphans, the very poor, bankrupts, were treated in Victorian England or colonial America, compared to now, on average, not to mention the rudeness of slavery.

the average of observable human progress is apparently slower than the average individual human rate of progression, due to the fact that freshly minted IOUCs are apparently being fed into the soup all the time, and very low IOUCs are graduating to other systems.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:04 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Fair point. Although we should I suppose take into account the dramatically smaller global population in times of more obvious signs of brutality when attempting such a comparision.
Also the fact that things may well have been even worse in the past isn't the most resounding of endorsements.
And would an effective system really be this slow especially considering the unimaginable aeons of time that have passed in AUM time compared to PMR?
what is hard to accept as FWAUs "In Theatre" is that it is just a game regarding what is temporally going on within the physics of the PMR.

apparently, the only thing that is fundamental are the choices we make each day, either toward love, or toward retaining or even deepening our individuation.

stirring the experiential pot and having the occasional crisis to work through is the entire point of the simulation. What film is worth watching that does not have a challenge to work through?

while our individual motivation is to work toward a physical state of wealth, security, tranquility, peace among men, the system motivation seems to be to keep things a bit frothy and to generate adventure and lots of choices.

the entire hypothesis is of course too bizarre to be believed, however, an honest assessment of the alternatives and a reading of the current state of physics, throw in a bit of direct PSI experience, well, one is far down the rabbit hole and far from the simple Newtonian presumptions of most people.

one thing we can be certain of, life is very strange indeed, and the strangeness of an argument is no basis for resisting it, far from it, we must proceed knowing that the ultimate answer will be strange beyond belief.