Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster

R=I The Identity That Defines MBT Theory

Post by Sainbury »

June 9, 2018

Transcribed by nessie
Edited by Sainbury

Donna: We’re here today with Tom Campbell author of My Big TOE – a big theory of everything. Tom is a physicist and consciousness researcher.

Tom, a few years back someone asked you what your equation would be. Einstein has E = mc2, and you gave out more of an identity(1) of R=I meaning Reality Equals Information. Information and reality being the same because you’re MBT theory centers on Virtual Realities.

How can we apply R=I, Reality Equals Information, to our everyday life? How can you handle information in your life and make your life better.

Tom: Information is what defines reality so the R= I is an identity. It’s identity between reality and information, (because they are the same.) We are in a virtual reality which means that we, as consciousness, are getting a data stream. A data stream is just information - a stream of data. We receive that data stream and we interpret it to be 'something.' We react to that 'something.' We send back our reaction to the computer that is computing the virtual reality. Then the computer implements our avatar's reaction in the data stream. The avatar jumps, smiles, cries, does a somersault, or whatever our reaction was. So the avatar gets the data, interprets it, and reacts. Then that reaction gets displayed by our avatar in the virtual reality. A virtual reality has the player, the consciousness, the body, (which is the character that the consciousness is playing - the avatar,) and the computer. Those are all the elements of a virtual reality.

2.11 mins
This is a virtual reality. We get a data stream, and we are the player. We’re consciousness. We make the choices, and the body responds to the choices we make. So if we decide to stand up and run, then that’s our choice. And sure enough the image of our body stands up and runs. Because we’re the choice-maker - the player - in this virtual reality game. We’re not the body - that’s the avatar. We just make the choices. The consciousness can only make choices with the avatar within the ruleset that defines the game. The consciousness may say, "Avatar flap your arms and fly." Well that won’t work unless we’re birds. But if our avatar is a human that choice won’t make you fly. Because the ruleset doesn’t support humans flapping their arms and flying. The consciousness can’t do anything it wants with the avatar. The avatar has to abide by the rulesets of the game. And the computer will only compute the avatar doing those things that abide by the ruleset.

3.30 mins
That’s the game we’re in. The reality that we see, which is the reality where our avatar is getting up and running, is just information. Reality is information in our data stream. There is no 'body.' There is no 'human.' There is no world of rocks, rivers, trees, thunderstorms, houses, and grass growing in the yard. All of that is virtual. That’s what it means to be in a virtual reality. The actuality is that we are consciousness getting a data stream, and that data defines our reality. That’s why R=I, Reality Equals Information, in a virtual reality.

4.24 mins
As units of consciousness we can get multiple data streams. When we dream at night that’s a different data stream. We get to make choices in a dream. Just like we make choices when we’re in the awake part of our existence in this virtual reality. The dream and awake reality are just different data streams. If indeed, we’d like to zip around through space, or go flying along the tree line near the mountains, we can do that too. But only if we can get a data stream that shows us that picture. Just like you can take your elf, or your player, in a virtual reality game and climb up on a big animal with wings and go flying. And now when you look down at the ground you can see the rivers, rocks, stones, and streams coming up and disappearing quickly because you’re flying. You’re going much faster than if you were walking or running. You will experience whatever the data is in your data stream. That’s why Information Equals Reality.

5.41 mins
How do we deal with this information? We, of course, get so much information that it’s hard for us to logically handle it all. We have to filter the information we get. We’ve got a hundred different sources of information on almost everything from news, to our economy, to what our friends and family are doing, and everything else. We have all that information plus the information about the physical world. We get information about the house we’re living in. Does the roof leak? How cold is it outside? This is all information we have to accept and deal with. That’s the way life is - things happen and we get to deal with them. What happens is not as important as the choices we make. With all these sources of information competing with each other for our attention, we have to make judgments and choices as to what information are we going to pay attention to, and what information we are going to ignore.

7 mins
We never have enough information to make a logical choice. Because you don’t really know what’s in that information stream that you’re going to ignore unless you receive it. Then you know exactly what was in it, and in arrears you can judge what you should have done. You can get that information stream and say, "That was useless. None of that wasn’t helpful, and I shouldn’t have listened to it." But you already listened to it in order to find out that you shouldn’t have. When we try to make these choices about what we should do in the future, as in should I listen to this or not, we don’t have enough information to make a logical choice. We have to guess, and make judgements.

7.56 mins
The judgements we make are based on our past experiences. But there’s a problem and a solution about the judgements we render. The problem is we can start to believe our judgements are correct. That’s a problem because judgements can turn into beliefs. Then we start making our judgements based on our beliefs. When you make decisions out of belief you cut yourself off from a lot of possibilities. And that’s what most people do. They turn their judgements into beliefs. Then they either believe that particular data stream is a good one and they rely on the information, or they think the data is bad and they ignore it. People don't wonder about the other possibilities in a data stream after making a negative judgement based on belief.

8.47 mins
Life isn’t like that it’s just not that tidy. What you should do instead is use open-minded skepticism. You should be skeptical of every data source even if it comes from your mother. You should be skeptical of every data source, and realize that sometimes a data source can be very helpful - and sometimes not. And in some of those data sources, that you may not want to listen to, you may get some very useful information. You really don’t know what’s in it. Even with open-minded skepticism about what’s useful and what’s not, you still have to make your choices because there’s too much data.

9.39 mins
There’s a hundred data sources that all want your attention now. You have to make judgements, but don’t believe the judgements you make are necessarily correct. Make your judgement with these ideas in mind, "This is what l'm going to do now, but l’ll keep my mind open about those other sources. I may just randomly sample these other sources sometimes to see if there isn’t something useful there. And just because I’ve picked this as a favorite data source doesn’t mean that what I get going to be useful, or that it’s going to be right. I need to stay skeptical. Even though I found this particular data source to be a really helpful, believing that it’s always going to be a good source, and that all the information is really good, may not be true. Stay skeptical and vice-versa. Just because a source has been a poor source doesn’t mean that it won’t be very useful some other time some other way."

10.40 mins
We need to come up with a set of probabilities. Here’s the way I think, I’ll maximize my time and my attention by looking at these data sources but not those. But don’t believe it. Don’t believe that that is the final answer. Always stay open and tentative. Always keep your eyes ears open for these other sources and see what might be there. Sample other sources from time to time, and always question what you get from those favorite sources. Question the data sources that you just kind of believe because they tell you what you want to hear. It may be that some of those sources you discount are telling you things you don’t want to hear, but you really need to know, and you really need to deal with.

11.33 mins
You have to reassess your data sources all the time. You need to reassess yourself, and also reassess the usefulness of the information coming to you. It would be a great loss if you get trapped in a belief, and only listened to sources that told you what you wanted to hear. Belief traps may end up with you never growing up, never changing, never becoming 'more,' and never actualizing your potential. All because you only pay attention to the data sources that tell you, "You’re fine just the way you are." Because that kind of information sounds good to you, and your ego likes the reassurance.

12.15 mins
We need to be skeptical. And we always need to assess and reassess what’s important to us, and what’s not. Is it important, or not, that we watch the news for an hour every day? Is it important to call your mother three times a day, twice a day, once a week, once a year, or whatever it is we decide to do? Is that a good thing? Maybe we should call her more, or maybe we should call her less. Always be reassessing what you’re doing, and why you’re doing it. That’s the key to using information to help you evolve the quality of your consciousness.

13.01 mins
So how do you deal with information? You have to make judgements. Do the best you can based on your past. But don’t believe that your judgements are perfect and right. Don’t turn those judgements into beliefs. That would be a big mistake. Turning judgements into beliefs is what most of us do. And we end up isolating ourselves from the information that we really need, and spend most of our time wallowing around in the information that makes us feel good. It’s not only what information do I want to hear, but why do I want to hear it. Rather than what is its value to my ego, it should be what is its value to my growth. The worth of information shouldn't be judged on how good it makes you feel, but its importance to your growth. Where are the choices that will mean something. Just making your ego feel good doesn’t really provide you with any choices other than the fact that you are missing out on the information that is important.

14.04 mins
Always question your data choices. Why do I want to listen to the news for an hour every day? Why do I want to call my mother on the phone every evening? The answer may be that it's a really good thing to do. Your mom needs your call, or maybe you need to make that call. It just depends. It’s not any particular thing that is good or bad. It’s the Intent behind the choice. Intent is the reason behind what you are doing. That’s the key. It’s not the action itself. It’s the intention behind the choice. Ask why are you choosing the data and if it's something that’s leading to your growth, or not. If it’s not then probably that data source is something you could do away with. Unless that information is maybe leading to somebody else’s growth. Then you just might keep it just for them.

(1) An equation is a mathematical description which is equal only for one variable. But identity is a mathematical description which is always equal for any variable.
https://math.stackexchange.com/question ... nal-equati

Return to “Tom's Interviews, Lectures, and Workshops”