Return Home
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
You can download Skype here Lynda and others that need it. http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-sky ... r/windows/ , it's very easy.
Thanks SS! But I also don't have a microphone or webcam. I may not need the webcam to Skype, but I'm pretty sure I'd need a mike?
Yes, you need a microphone, it shouldn't be that hard to get. Usually, there's a microphone together with most medium and high quality headphones.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Quote:
You can download Skype here Lynda and others that need it. http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-sky ... r/windows/ , it's very easy.
Thanks SS! But I also don't have a microphone or webcam. I may not need the webcam to Skype, but I'm pretty sure I'd need a mike?
They have inexpensive headphones that have mikes on them, sugar. :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:34 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Hey Guys ,

I too have become quite busy of late but I'm still looking forward to this . Now the medium's been sorted i think we should start looking at time/date , being in the uk I'd quite like it to be as close to 7pm central as possible .
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, you need a microphone, it shouldn't be that hard to get. Usually, there's a microphone together with most medium and high quality headphones.
Lynda you could just use Skype's IM features (like MSN) to ask the questions and listen to the conversation with your headphone /speakers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I too have become quite busy of late but I'm still looking forward to this . Now the medium's been sorted i think we should start looking at time/date , being in the uk I'd quite like it to be as close to 7pm central as possible .
Tom asked that it be at 7pm central, so that works.

Before we set a date we need to find out if Tom will moderate/host the event as Ted suggested, or if we need to have somebody else fit this role. Once we hear from Tom we can either set a date or start working to find a moderator/host.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

7 PM Central works perfectly for me.

Thank you for the IM Skype tip, I will be sure to check it out and download it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I looked again and Tom wrote "sometime after 7pm central time." Seems like at 7pm central fits and would work.
Quote:
7 PM Central works perfectly for me.

Thank you for the IM Skype tip, I will be sure to check it out and download it.
A mic would be ideal. Here are some on amazon: the first four are under $3 and the reviews are fair to good.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ic&x=0&y=0

A test run will be necessary I think (without Tom), since several are not frequent users of skype. This way we can take care of any audio issues... echo, feedback, etc ahead of time. We will allow some time for everybody to get set up (couple of weeks maybe) and then do this test run. Sound good all?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've got Skype downloaded and can purchase a headset/mike within a week. I should be ready for a test run the week after next.

Thank you for coordinating this Justin, it's great to have someone taking the lead :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:33 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to the forums, but I first read MBT about 2 years ago, and I've been re-reading it over the past couple of months - trying to move from the "forest" view to the "individual trees" view :-)

So if it's appropriate I would love to join in. I have Skype, and have used it before in conferencing. I live in Melbourne Australia, but don't mind fitting in with any plans. I think 7pm US Central may be around midday (the next day) in Melbourne, so I may be working, but hopefully with enough warning I can re-arrange my schedule to make it!

Thanks! And I'll hopefully meet up with you online soon :-)

Vicki

PS... Bette - I loved the "I'm My Own Grandpa" link above!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you Vicki. :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought I did post a comment to Ted's suggestion that I be the moderator (like I would if we were all in a room together) at least I tried to -- it's not here so it somehow got lost. This is the gist of it:

If we were all together in a room, we would have lots of visual cues to know when somebody had something to say, or really wants to speak, or was having a problem, or was done making their point, or was bored and wanted to move on.... etc. With audio only, all that visual information is lost and that loss will make us less organized, responsive, and sensitive to whats going on with each other. That is why I suggested a moderator. However, with a little prior coordination about the sort of questions, about when is it time to move on, what to say to let the rest know that your hand is vigorously waving in the air, or, most importantly, that you are just pausing in the middle of something to find the right word and it is not time for someone else to jump in yet. If we can come up with some effective protocols/rules that work for audio, then we can moderate ourselves.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I thought I did post a comment to Ted's suggestion that I be the moderator (like I would if we were all in a room together) at least I tried to -- it's not here so it somehow got lost. This is the gist of it:

If we were all together in a room, we would have lots of visual cues to know when somebody had something to say, or really wants to speak, or was having a problem, or was done making their point, or was bored and wanted to move on.... etc. With audio only, all that visual information is lost and that loss will make us less organized, responsive, and sensitive to whats going on with each other. That is why I suggested a moderator. However, with a little prior coordination about the sort of questions, about when is it time to move on, what to say to let the rest know that your hand is vigorously waving in the air, or, most importantly, that you are just pausing in the middle of something to find the right word and it is not time for someone else to jump in yet. If we can come up with some effective protocols/rules that work for audio, then we can moderate ourselves.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I understand what you are saying.

Each time that I attempt to formulate a set of protocols/rules for this event I arrive at the question of what is the core purpose of this event. Trying to answer that takes me to a personal place. After doing some honest introspection there, I realized that a good portion of my drive to take part in such an event is to find some sort of feedback, validation, support, or comradeship in this venture of life and pudding tasting. I have had some amazing eureka moments since reading MBT. Many of these things are concepts that I fully appreciated and "knew" for as long as 15 years prior. Only now though by embracing experience am I starting to understand some of them deeply. This has strongly validated to me the purpose of this reality and the idea of growth through experience. Knowing something means nothing as compared to understanding it deeply through experience. It honestly makes me feel out of place in my environment at times, perhaps a bit lonely. When I try to think of my own questions that I would like to ask, I realize that I really don't have any burning questions about the model. True there are things that I do not fully understand, but honestly (perhaps selfishly) my questions are about me, my experiences, and my growth. The full understanding of the details, it seems, will follow the growth. This analogy seems fitting: I have heard about what red is, I have a pretty good understanding of what red is, I have even started to see glimpses of it. Now, I feel like I need some feedback about those glimpses of red and guidance that might help lead me to more. Maybe this is the case for the others as well, I'm not sure. I also can't fully say right now if this drive is based on ego, a strong desire to grow, or both.

Having said all of that, what does the view look like from the outside of this thought process? Is this a concept that would seem to be fitting or appropriate for such an event?

For those who were participating, how does this compare to your own drive to take part in such an event?

Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My drive is to get more of Tom out there. It comes from the interview he did with Frank on Skype, they made it seem so easy! It was like Tom was just answering Frank's questions, but for the whole wide world to see and hear and learn from. That's what I want more of.

If it was just Tom validating Justin's experience, that would be fine by me. Using Justin's analogy, Tom is intimately familiar with red. He should be able to give you the feedback you seek.

I also envision this as a way of skipping over the stuff we've all already heard and Tom's already said repeatedly. I liken it to the middle segment of the day in Hawaii - just the Q&A. No lecture, no exercises. Just Tom being asked and answering questions he hasn't gotten yet, or hasn't been able to go into deeply enough for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:09 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think of everything as practice.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:44 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

My original drive for doing this was something Tom said in the hawaii q&a about how groups work and if we could use this not
only to be an interesting discussion but also to connected us as a positive group it would be beneficial for the participants and interesting for anyone who heard the result.

After hearing tom say that I've noticed how much effect a groups collective thoughts can have on everyone in that group . I've also done meditations with large groups online and seen (not always positively) how powerful that can be .

Anyway let's stop yapping and get planning , i can't wait for this !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
I also envision this as a way of skipping over the stuff we've all already heard and Tom's already said repeatedly. I liken it to the middle segment of the day in Hawaii - just the Q&A. No lecture, no exercises. Just Tom being asked and answering questions he hasn't gotten yet, or hasn't been able to go into deeply enough for whatever reason.
Mainly this, and of course this being something new, a new way of communicating, we haven't really tried before with Tom.

Only rarely do Tom have the chance to talk about subjects in relation to MBT that are more advanced than introductory, everyone talking the same language with terms and metaphors should allow for going deeper.

Justin, I think your questions would be fine, there are probably others in a similar situation that might gain from this perspective brought forth. Yes, if it has the potential to facilitate growth in you and others the questions could be more important than pure theoretical questions.

This just hit me, as it's similar to your concept. I feel that most of the possible relevant theoretical information is already out there, on the forum, video and trilogy. I might be able to make 5 questions on the theory and model that are advanced, but I don't think much would be gained. Well, I can't think of such 5 questions right now, but I most likely can think about 5 questions that has to do with the nature of NPMR and the exploration of NPMR. I feel that most of the current information out there mostly provides an excellent framework for such as NPMR, but the diversity and richness of NPMR (exploration) makes this current framework limited in answering these questions from a theoretical viewpoint.

As I see it now, questions in relation to exploration of the larger reality would be ideal for me.

Maybe we should do that testing on Skype soon, I would like to evaluate my English speaking, and then try to improve it before the real deal :) As I have had almost zero opportunity to speak English, I have little training in the control and mental processing of talking English.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 19 10 11 12 1316 Next