Return Home
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:14 pm

All times are UTC-06:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:40 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 am
Posts: 1272
Location: Near Boston, MA, USA
Quote:
Maybe we should do that testing on Skype soon, I would like to evaluate my English speaking, and then try to improve it before the real deal :)
I promise to buy my headset and mike no later than this weekend. I should be ready for test sessions starting Monday the 18th.

SS - If you want to practice your English while I practice my Skype, maybe we can find some time to get together, just you and me. Let me know.

Lynda


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:21 pm 
Offline
Normal User
Normal User

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Bolton , UK
Quote:
Maybe we should do that testing on Skype soon


There's really no need to do a test prior to the conversation , skype has inbuilt functions that will assess how you mic and headphones will perform . After you've installed skype it will test your setup and show you the levels of both input and output . If your still concerned use the Echo/Sound Test to see how you fair.

So the sound check i feel isn't really necessary , it's skype and is prone to lots of things (Internet connection being the main one) that could effect the chat, but if we all added each other on there before hand i think that'd be good .

So we could all post our skype addy's on here and link up : mines Ilisity


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 9999
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
I have skype on my other computer, my school one, and I should be spending more time in front of that one. I can be here for practice runs, and stuff.

Tom, is there any question that no one has EVER asked that you would like to answer?
Love
Bette

_________________
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:29 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 1247
Thanks for the input all. I think we have a good variety that will make for an interesting 3 hours.

For those that would like to do a short test, I would still like to set it up. I would like to do a test run of the recording process. It will also give Lynda a change to get familiar with skype and SS to brush up on his spoken English. Anyway, for those interested, I'm still up for a test run.
Quote:
...However, with a little prior coordination about the sort of questions, about when is it time to move on, what to say to let the rest know that your hand is vigorously waving in the air, or, most importantly, that you are just pausing in the middle of something to find the right word and it is not time for someone else to jump in yet. If we can come up with some effective protocols/rules that work for audio, then we can moderate ourselves.
How does this sound as a basic plan:

We come up with 5 questions each and submit them to Tom. Tom can arrange them based on categories, flow, or however he sees fit.

During the event, we simply go in the order that Tom has arranged the questions. When it is time for one of your questions, you state your full question and then it is just you and Tom involved in the exchange. If somebody has a comment or related question during this exchange then they use the chat function in skye to "raise there hand."

So the flow might go something like this:

Brief introductions: Name, general location, etc.

Tom: Let's start with the first question on the list. SS had a question related to NPMR, let's start there.

SS: Yes Tom, my question is _________________.

The exchange continues between SS and Tom. During this exchange, Lynda would like some clarification with something that Tom said, so she types, "I have a question about ____________" in the skype chat box. At the next appropriate opportunity, Tom addresses Lyda's question.

Tom: Lynda, you have a related question?

Lynda: Yes, you said that ________. what did you mean by that?

Tom: (explination)

Tom (taking the next question in line): Okay, ilisity you also had a NPMR related question about _________.

ilisity: Yes, my question was ____________.

Then an exchange between Tom and ilisity about the question. During that exchange, I realize that I recently had an experience that directly relates to the conversation, so I type, "related experience to share about ___________." Again, at the next appropriate opportunity, Tom addresses this.

Tom: Justin, you had a related experience that you wanted to share?

Justin: (I share the experience)

Tom: (feedback/comments)

Tom: (continues on the topic of ilisity's question) Did that answer your question ilisity?

ilisity: Yes, thank you.

Tom: Okay, let's move onto the next question. Lynda, you had a question related to ___________.

and so on.....

So in short, if it isn't your turn, then you have to type something in the chat box as a means of raising your hand. The only problem I see with this is that it might get distracting for Tom as he is trying to answer the questions.

Anyway, just a thought.

_________________
-"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find... you get what you need"


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 am
Posts: 1272
Location: Near Boston, MA, USA
Justin, reading your example just got me more excited. I somehow forgot this is going to be participatory! I like your suggested format but I am also open to hearing what everyone else thinks.

In the spirit of not distracting Tom too much, I'd vote for keeping the Skype chat to a bare minimum and only use it for the previously agreed-upon purposes, once they are agreed upon. Maybe even come up with a prearranged "code" of acronyms or abbreviations? Or maybe just try to keep the chat to one or two-word entries, like "Question" or "Please elaborate".

Bette I really like your question too! I think as part of the group, Tom is entitled to formulate his own five questions to ask and answer if he's so inclined.


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:13 pm 
Offline
Normal User
Normal User

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Bolton , UK
Sounds good Justin , you read my mind with the using skype's IM as a "hand up" indication . That was the next thing i was going to suggest . I've already got 5 questions sorted and (as you've seen from my last few posts) I'm quite keen on some sort of meditation to connect us all and with tom and each other .


Top
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:47 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 1247
Quote:
Justin, reading your example just got me more excited. I somehow forgot this is going to be participatory! I like your suggested format but I am also open to hearing what everyone else thinks.

In the spirit of not distracting Tom too much, I'd vote for keeping the Skype chat to a bare minimum and only use it for the previously agreed-upon purposes, once they are agreed upon. Maybe even come up with a prearranged "code" of acronyms or abbreviations? Or maybe just try to keep the chat to one or two-word entries, like "Question" or "Please elaborate".

Bette I really like your question too! I think as part of the group, Tom is entitled to formulate his own five questions to ask and answer if he's so inclined.
I'm open to anything. I'm only throwing ideas out there to keep this going.

I think you are right about keeping it simple with chat/IM hand raising. How about something like this:

"question-end"
This would be used when the topic touches on something that one of the participants has a question about... but the question can wait until the end of that session (before moving on to the next question from the list).

"comment-end"
Same as above, but in this case it is a comment instead of a question. Perhaps a related experience to share that might be useful, etc.

"question-now"
This would be used when the person feels that the question is better suited to be answered at the next appropriate opportunity (during the current question session). This might be useful if Tom says something that is beyond the understanding of more than one of us. The idea being that if "question-now" suddenly pops up from 3 of us, then this might work as a good cue for Tom to pause and make sure everybody is on the same page.

"comment-now"
This one should probably only be used if the person really has some burning comment that can't wait. In most cases, it would probably be more appropriate to use "comment-end."

Bette, awesome idea. Lynda, it would be great if Tom did this. It might even be interesting if Tom asked us some questions. Not exactly sure what questions Tom would ask or if it would be useful, but it would certainly be interesting. It would give Tom a break and put us on the spot for once :) Just a random thought.
Quote:
Sounds good Justin , you read my mind with the using skype's IM as a "hand up" indication . That was the next thing i was going to suggest . I've already got 5 questions sorted and (as you've seen from my last few posts) I'm quite keen on some sort of meditation to connect us all and with tom and each other .
I'm guessing you mean meditation on our own something like 30 minutes before the arranged meet time? That sounds good to me.

_________________
-"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find... you get what you need"


Top
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:48 am 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 am
Posts: 1272
Location: Near Boston, MA, USA
Justin I think Ilisity was referring to an online group meditation, based upon this post:
Quote:
My original drive for doing this was something Tom said in the hawaii q&a about how groups work and if we could use this not only to be an interesting discussion but also to connected us as a positive group it would be beneficial for the participants and interesting for anyone who heard the result.

After hearing tom say that I've noticed how much effect a groups collective thoughts can have on everyone in that group . I've also done meditations with large groups online and seen (not always positively) how powerful that can be.
I am not opposed to doing a group prayer, centering or meditation at the very start if that's what everyone wants.


Top
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 am 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 1247
Quote:
Justin I think Ilisity was referring to an online group meditation, based upon this post:
Quote:
My original drive for doing this was something Tom said in the hawaii q&a about how groups work and if we could use this not only to be an interesting discussion but also to connected us as a positive group it would be beneficial for the participants and interesting for anyone who heard the result.

After hearing tom say that I've noticed how much effect a groups collective thoughts can have on everyone in that group . I've also done meditations with large groups online and seen (not always positively) how powerful that can be.
I am not opposed to doing a group prayer, centering or meditation at the very start if that's what everyone wants.
Oh duh. Thanks Lynda. Sorry I missed that ilisity.

_________________
-"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find... you get what you need"


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:56 am 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:05 pm
Posts: 1199
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe we should do that testing on Skype soon, I would like to evaluate my English speaking, and then try to improve it before the real deal :)
I promise to buy my headset and mike no later than this weekend. I should be ready for test sessions starting Monday the 18th.

SS - If you want to practice your English while I practice my Skype, maybe we can find some time to get together, just you and me. Let me know.

Lynda
Sure, that would be good :)

My Skype name is "runi_dk"

It all sounds good with the comment "etiquette".

Group meditation could be fun, and so could Tom asking us a few questions, though it would need some purpose.

I should look (again) for a recording program, a backup would be nice. If anyone knows a (Windows) program that can record Skype sound, please say so.


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:45 am 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:35 am
Posts: 9999
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Didn't Frank(?) do this already, record Skype conversation with Tom?
Love
Bette

_________________
All That Is
what is?
Consciousness.


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:46 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:39 pm
Posts: 1247
Quote:

I should look (again) for a recording program, a backup would be nice. If anyone knows a (Windows) program that can record Skype sound, please say so.
Back up is a great idea SS. Like Bette mentioned, I'm pretty sure Frank had windows. Maybe you could PM and see what he used.

_________________
-"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find... you get what you need"


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:37 pm 
Offline
Normal User
Normal User
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 11:38 pm
Posts: 11
Location: Canada
I would really like to be able to participate in the fireside chat what date have you chosen? I seem to have missed that conversation?

I will download skype and get a head set.

Thanks,
Beth


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:42 pm 
Offline
Power Poster
Power Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:34 am
Posts: 1272
Location: Near Boston, MA, USA
I bought my headset and mike today so I am ready for testing any time you are Justin and SS. I am aerolynda123 on Skype as well.

Hi Beth! I don't think the date has been chosen yet, just the time. 7PM Central :)


Top
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:30 pm 
Offline
Normal User
Normal User

Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:19 pm
Posts: 22
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Hi Everyone,

That sounds like a great way to do it Justin. Having taken part in Skype conferences before, I think you're right about Tom having to monitor the chat being a possible distraction - though I think Tom's capability for multi-tasking far exceeds mine, so it may not be too much of an issue for him, especially if each chat comment was kept to the bare minimum. But if it turned out to be an issue (perhaps identified during a test run), then someone could volunteer to be the "chat monitor" and let Tom know which hands had been raised while he was answering / discussing the question. Just a thought...

I think a test run is a really good idea. I'm happy to do my best to fit in with what works for everyone, as I'm the odd one out on the other side of the world :-)

Vicki


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next

All times are UTC-06:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited