Return Home
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:35 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Pamela? Do you dress Tom?
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

CD,

I, too, am glad the world has moved on as I don't even own a full suit anymore that is wearable. I have no need for it. I think Tom is just a product of HIS generation where that's just the appropriate thing for him to wear in his mind. He has also been in a professional environment working with the government for years and I would bet that suits were the norm for presentations far longer than the general public. By the way, what generation are you from? Just curious.

That being said, I have never had a problem with the appearance. Maybe appearances just don't bother me. He could have done his lecture in a hawaiian shirt, shorts, and flip flops for all I care but I would love to see what people would have to say then. I think a loony eccentric would come to mind for a lot of people. You can't please all the people all the time. Slacks, polo shirt, and sport coat would probably be a happy medium but really people should judge the material for its merit and not worry about the appearance. All in my opinion. Anticipating the response here, I do live in the real world and understand the value of appearance to society so it is something to consider.

Ramon

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:31 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

OK, what we need is a Tom Campbell action figure/doll that we can each dress the way we want.

I would put him in pressed dress slacks (maybe in a tan or off white color), a pale blue dress shirt and maybe a navy blue sports jacket. This would give a professional appearance without looking stodgy. This in fact is pretty much what is nowadays called "business casual". Business casual requires a man to wear up-market pants (nicely pressed khaki's, for example), an executive shirt (probably with a button-down collar) and (depending on the climate) a nice sport coat.

Of course, fashion is always changing. If Tom had been giving his lectures in the 70's, he'd have a huge elephant ears collar on his paisley shirt, flared bell-bottom pants, a mood ring, and a leather vest with fringe. Of course, in the 80's he'd be wearing his "Greed Is Good" conservative three-piece suit. I think in the 90's the rebellion against suits began and "business casual" was invented.

My generation? Too young to remember black/white TV but old enough to remember a world without cell phones and the internet.

Last edited by ChandersDad on Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:37 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

My wife just asked me if there is a male equivalent of the basic black "cocktail" dress which has been popular for about 50 years (although the skirt length has probably gone up and down a few times). I don't think men's suits change a great deal. The lapels change size and shape. However, the ties change dramatically. Anyone remember knit ties? When bright garish colored ties were the ticket? My mind flashed on Rob Petrie (from the ancient Dick Van Dyke show) always wearing a very thin black tie. "Oh Rob"!

Sorry to side track things. I do think with Tom's great white hair and beard, he could look really good in pale/sky blue shirts. But that's just me (caveat: my wife buys all my clothes).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Too young to remember black/white TV but old enough to remember a world without cell phones and the internet.
Sounds like mine. Rotary phones and a color tv that you had to walk over to in order to change the channel. To one of the other 3-5 stations we got back then...

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think Tom looks great on suits. Whatever he feels comfortable with is fine with me. I would use a suit. Obama does, it shows respect to the audience.

Claudio

> http://soprano.com <

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:36 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
I think Tom looks great on suits. Whatever he feels comfortable with is fine with me. I would use a suit. Obama does, it shows respect to the audience.

Claudio
You are comparing Tom Campbell to President Obama? Wow. I could just as easily say Tom should dress like the Pope, since it would show respect for the 1+ billion Catholics in the world! ;-)

Obviously, I jest. This topic is quite silly. I think we need a Tom Campbell paperdoll set, like my sister had as a girl. The basic Tom could be wearing tasteful tee-shirt and boxer shorts, and then we could decide whether we wanted him to wear brushed denin jeans, black boots and a black motorcycle jacket, a 3 piece suit or even a mu mu.

Frankly, if you are speaking to a group of casual people in tee-shirts and jeans, a suit merely SEPARATES you from them, rather than showing respect. Basic psychology/management strategy training (a big part of my past, I'm afraid).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Let's resist the Tom bobble head though, okay? I think he should go native for this one. Oh our AUM, we could see his Big TOE if he wore sandals.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Frankly, if you are speaking to a group of casual people in tee-shirts and jeans, a suit merely SEPARATES you from them, rather than showing respect. Basic psychology/management strategy training (a big part of my past, I'm afraid).
If some peple have a problem with Tom wearing a suit, it's their problem. May be they are not ready, then. If people, listen or not to somebody depending on how they dress, that means they are not ready. What's important is in the inside (Jack the ripper).

Claudio

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think a younger person will be more likely to judge someone based on attire (my prejudice against young people, I guess, at the ripe old age of 32). I still think it would be good for them to be exposed to the material. Some people might not be ready at this moment but the knowledge could plant a seed that would blossom into a beautiful understanding. As Tom has said, this world runs on appearance. The question might be what audience would provide the most benefit to the sytem in general? Scientists or the layperson. Both are ideal. The world needs Tom Campbell.

Cd,

Cracking up at the idea of a Tom action figure by the way. Have you seen the Jesus action figures? They always get a chuckle out of me.

Clau: "What's important is in the inside (Jack the ripper)."

Is that a quote? So that's what he was looking for. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Clau: "What's important is in the inside (Jack the ripper)."

Is that a quote? So that's what he was looking for. :D
That's me trying with my Intent to be funny :)

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I preface the giving of the London lecture video with a request to look past the guy with a white beard in a suit and lecture format, and just listen to the words, the particular way they are put together. Then some other times I don't, depending on the recipient.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:29 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
Quote:
If some peple have a problem with Tom wearing a suit, it's their problem. May be they are not ready, then. If people, listen or not to somebody depending on how they dress, that means they are not ready. What's important is in the inside (Jack the ripper).

Claudio
Oh, come on Claudio. If someone comes to Tom's lecture, that person is ready. Why the judgment of other people you do not even know? It has the slightest tint of a cult when someone says that anyone else may not be ready if they don't accept the Great Leader. Geez. I was simply stating that on a subconscious level people are affected by appearances, and that anyone who wishes to get his message across needs to transcend his own limited time/space generational perspective (e.g., on what is decent clothes) and check-in with his intended audience.

Check out the YOUTUBE site below for Ken Wapnick, the most respected teacher of THE COURSE IN MIRACLES. He is about the same age as Tom. He dresses professionally but in a manner that is not potentially intimidating or off-putting to others. Now you could sort of sniff in disdain and say that if someone is so foolish as to be impacted by clothes, then they are "not ready" and Tom does not need them. Fine. I am again simply letting you know after years in upper-management that there is a science to all of this, and being a man of science Tom shouldn't be so ignorant about it. This is not a knee-jerk call for anyone to rally around him, since I am not criticizing or insulting him. As I noted, this is a silly topic.

http://www.youtube.com/FndtnACIM

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes, Claudio, there has been quite a huge investment in control us through props. Might as well be aware of it, that is useful information not to use it to control people, but to know so that we are not controlled, but it is still useful data.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello Dad:

It's clear and simple. Whoever cares more about what Tom wears instead of his message is not evolved enough. I cannot state it simpler than this. Whoever cares about clothing so much, are better off buying some magazine where you can see some pictures of people with their clothing :) Give me a break! Have you listened to the song: "Who the cap fit, let them wear it ..." (Bob Marley's). If Tom wants to wear a suit (he looks awesome with one, he doesn't look older, give me a break!), let him wear it, and talk about more important stuff. Jez, ...

If Tom wants to wear a hawaian shirt and do the hoola hoola, aloha. He's light is brighter than his clothes.

BTW, dad, you assume too much. You'll get a lot of wrong conclusions this way.

When I say "ready", I am not saying ready to listen or see Tom. They can see and listen. What they do with it is a different story.

Claudio

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next