I don't know if this was noticed or posted before
but MBT was reviewed by this guy and posted on TMI newsletter back in Dec 2009

Matthew Fike PHD, Winthrop Univ, SC
http://www.monroeinstitute.org/focus/bo ... y-big-toe/

OM

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It is interesting that a professor of English is considered expert enough to review and criticize a TOE based on physics. It seems obvious that he was offended by Tom's view of religion.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Overall, it's not a "bad" review. It ends on a positive note at least.

I agree that it appears that some triggers were tripped in regards to religion.

Ramon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:08 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Matthew Pike Phd,

It might have been a religion trigger or it could have been the the PHD jokes throughout.

The pudding is good, carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:26 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for posting this review, OM, I had missed it. I agree with this statement: "The author’s account of his early years is by far the most engaging section." I've read the first one hundred or so pages far more than any other section of the trilogy. It's indeed my favorite part.

OMG the reviewer caught a typo! I hope we fixed this one! "He does not know where primordial consciousness or the One Source or Absolute Unbounded Oneness (AUO) came from, but he states that it is “the fundamental [digital] energy that is the media [sic] of reality.” Medium! Medium!

Edit: Ok phew, I found it. It's at the bottom of p. 181 and indeed, it has been corrected to say medium in the latest version. :) What a relief.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:06 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OM,

It's great that you posted the link to this review and it's good that it's being discussed. I noticed this review and read when it first came out and at the time decided not to post it. Not because I simply did not like it or that I could not deal with an informed criticism of Tom's work.

If I was to just judge this review I would simply refer to it as lame but hey we go to great length not to judge things around here, right?

To me this is not an informed review. I personally do not care for how Dr. Pike talks about Dennis and Tom in reference to the binaural beats, when in fact it was them that made the discovery and made it all work. Perhaps Matthew Pike was not aware of this fact, maybe.

Also I do not feel that the reviewer "got it" and not sure if he is even in the vicinity of getting it, seems that he is kind of sort of in the intellectual high tower, attempting to taste the pudding through a third party straw.

Yes he says some good things here and there, to me personally this review is a decent example of a small picture reality reviewing the big picture, a critique of the super-set by the subset.

And I agree with the other posters in questioning Pike's qualifications in comprehending Tom's theory. The fact that he is an English professor is not an issue to me, that does not make or break the review, however his triggers on the subject of religion and the need to even bring up typos, well that speaks for itself. Pmr, business as usual.

Gerik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:17 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have to say... that was a very thorough review. Fike no doubt read the trilogy with full effort. I'm not sure that I could summarize the book 1/10th as well and I am on my 2nd read and am a MBT forum addict. Fike makes some valid points about the "unacknowledged similarities between the TOE and religious formulations." The key difference between the typical religious model and the MBT model is that the religious model encourages the support of itself (the model), while MBT encourages us to find our own model. I have read a good number of books as I'm sure most of the folks here have. However, I have never read a book that made so much logical sense (though it did come slow at times) and then turned around and said not to believe any of it... to go figure it out for myself. Ha! Amazing. That in and of itself is truth. One can not argue with oneself... at least not very productively, or for very long.

2009... dang. How did I not find MBT sooner?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

While I enjoyed the first hundred pages of the book too, I think Tom would qualify it as necessary entertainment as an introduction of the book. Tom has talked about not wanting to give information just for entertainment value many times in podcasts and lectures. So for the reviewer to be seemingly disappointed that the rest of the book isn't filled with personal stories, I think says something too.

I think what Mike Fike missed is that there are glimpses of the big picture all around us including in religion. The problem is that religious models get stuck in dogma and defended by people interested in maintaining their power. In comparison, there are really only a handful of people out there trying to understanding the big picture and exploring those possibilities.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
While I enjoyed the first hundred pages of the book too, I think Tom would qualify it as necessary entertainment as an introduction of the book.
As has been said, not all manipulation is bad. :)
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I left reply there yesterday that is not up. Too bad I didn't keep a copy of my comment.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:15 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
2009... dang. How did I not find MBT sooner?
"When the student is ready, the teacher appears". Were you ready before now?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
While I enjoyed the first hundred pages of the book too, I think Tom would qualify it as necessary entertainment as an introduction of the book. Tom has talked about not wanting to give information just for entertainment value many times in podcasts and lectures. So for the reviewer to be seemingly disappointed that the rest of the book isn't filled with personal stories, I think says something too.
Everyone wants a road map, magic pills or what amounts to 'fantasy' to make them feel as though they know or get something. What value does entertainment bring other than maybe igniting a fire. After the fire is lit, one still needs to subjectively experience and make a sincere effort to absorb it, understand it, change and evolve their being. Doing anything less than that is not really important.

This is a portion of a conversation I had with Tom which can be related to the above.

OM: .......Hence the vital importance of no expectations.....

Tom: Now you understand why I resist telling stories about my experiences. The only rational way forward is for each individual to eliminate fear, beliefs and ego (which distort interpretations) and proceed cautiously generating their own experience with open minded skepticism. It should be clear why eliminating expectations and preconceived notions, tasting the pudding, and developing your own personal credibility through evidential experimentation is vitally important -- all the things I constantly harp on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Spot on insights, Ubik
Bette-your review is up.
To add: Dr Matthew says in his first paragraph that the TOE (Tom's)
encompasses physics, philosophy, metaphysics. Surely he means Tom's Big TOE.

It's interesting to me that a reviewer of Tom's work coming from the viewpoint of TMI (an Institute dedicated to researching human consciousness and whose motto is "you are more than your physical body") dotes on the separateness of the group who started it all. Bob, Tom, and Dennis. It is pretty apparent that Tom was tripping the lights fantastic in the Big Picture long before he met Bob. Perhaps looking at the mission that was set before them all would be more useful than designating who was mentor, inventor, physicist, etc. What Bob did by bringing into the mainstream awareness his experiences with OOBEs is monumental. Awakening new possibilities in those seeking answers to the nature of our existence, and reassuring those who have already had those experiences, was a precious gift to the western world. TMI has since brought many the opportunity to experience things outside the physical realm. Dennis' unique qualifications, interests, and PhD work (Schumann Resonance, Masters and PhD research including laser diodes, millimeter wave transistors (the original basic research into the materials) at UVA, led him to developing a tape from an idea on binaural beats he found in an article in Scientific American initiated by Bob's concept and desire for a tape that would enhance or facilitate the OOB state. Mission accomplished. Tom then continued on for another 35 years to give those same people the framework for understanding how these things are possible by developing a Big TOE. Pretty remarkable stuff. These three, each with their unique qualifications had a mission, and their meeting each other was a date with destiny.

So, a question to our dear reviewer, what is more important, the mission or the typos?