Return Home
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:58 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:57 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks, Runi for the ideas. A lot of people don't like torrents because it suggests illegal downloading?

You are right , Lynda. The account was disabled for 3 days due to high traffic. If one of you can download the file, you may be able to initiate a better solution. Meanwhile we are working on it.
To everyone: Torrents are in no way illegal, it's just a method of data transmission. Only the content can be called illegal if it indeed is, so there is nothing to worry about. A torrent would not exclude any other way of downloading, so dropbox can still run.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, Runi for the ideas. A lot of people don't like torrents because it suggests illegal downloading?

You are right , Lynda. The account was disabled for 3 days due to high traffic. If one of you can download the file, you may be able to initiate a better solution. Meanwhile we are working on it.
To everyone: Torrents are in no way illegal, it's just a method of data transmission. Only the content can be called illegal if it indeed is, so there is nothing to worry about. A torrent would not exclude any other way of downloading, so dropbox can still run.
Thanks Runi! Let's try for uTorrent if possible, or else some other torrent program with clear, understandable instructions for use.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:07 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That would be great if you could Lynda!~

It sounds like, as per SS, that bit torrenting is just a method of transmission of large files.

Where the problem is is when it is someone's book, music, video that rights are retained to.

I (and perhaps others) have never done the torrent thing, so a brief explanation of the how-to-do-it being included would be a help.

So far, using the link at the top of this thread, I haven't been able to download... just a part and then it quits. I guess if K&D's account is getting busted for overuse it would be better for us not to try to use those links at all...??

-Montana

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

@ Ted

What is the size of your pipe ? I have a 3 Mbps service and am trying to gauge when 'to enter the water'.

Re: Torrents

Other people's ignorance should be a common issue for MBT adherents dealing with. I can see positive advantage to this product to use a torrent service to enlighten that ignorance. However I'm not at the level of judging the tradeoffs of such use. I trust the LCS will provide an appropriate answer.

I have the uTorrent client and through limited use, am aware of more and more legal entities using the Torrent services. I personally hope to see the torrent technology employed, if at all feasible.

@ Montana

I typically jump in feet-first with software and have never looked for how-to's for such as this uTorrent search returns. My choice on this specific client was based on recommendations uncovered in the general computer tech reading I always do.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:20 am 
Curator
Curator

I don't think that matters. I only receive about 345 Kbps at the fastest.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I suspect, in this case, you are precisely correct. The first set of constraints is both the server and the data form.

Thanks to your reply, I see the irrelevancy of my question, in this case. My question is only relevant in the case of Torrents.

Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:45 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

K, Thanks RBM.... it wasn't as painful as I feared.... I have this anti-tech thing in the backround... mostly cause the stuff keeps evolving changing and won't slow down.

-Montana

Added: Okay, I'm now freshly torrentized, is the video above available yet?

Last edited by Montana on Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
K, Thanks RBM.... it wasn't as painful as I feared.... I have this anti-tech thing in the backround... mostly cause the stuff keeps evolving changing and won't slow down.

-Montana
Yes, yes, I find change and the rate of change increasingly difficult to countenance in lots of cases, even in the case of technology which I think of as a toy.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am also getting "site temporarily disabled, and waiting patiently for the video

peace
patrick

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Location: South Carolina currently, home state- Michigan, also have lived in Florida
Ok, I know nothing about this, so there is probably a reason this won't work but....

What about YouTube? When Robert Bruce interviewed Tom he posted it to YouTube as Private, so if you were given the link you could view it. Would this work in this situation?

If YouTube isn't an option, maybe we can coordinate our downloading so that we don't overload Keith's account. We could start a thread where each of us could sign up and start downloading in order. When one person finishes, they could PM the next person on the list and so on.

BTW, I got about 28 minutes worth of video downloaded and it looks great! Thanks for all the effort.

Jeanne

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am compressing the first video, but it is going to take about 4 to 5 hours for each one. I will upload them to my webspace and post links as they finish.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Great workaround, Justin !

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 4:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Youtube might work... although it would be a large number of separate videos, and often they are not presented in an easily accessible order.

Too, that event may have been ...oh.... 'semiprivate'.... sort of like a family outing sort of thing.

But then again it might work just fine~

-Montana

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, Justin. of course we want it on youtube, Keith is working on it.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:33 pm 
Curator
Curator

I very much suggest against YouTube. I hate the way that it scrambles things around. And the number of segments would make this horrendous as a problem. Every time you make a selection, it scrambles all the rest around again. It is impossible to keep things in order in my experience.

Ted

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next