Return Home
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:32 am 

IN the SPAIN lecture series 1 of 13, Tom Campbell poses a situation where you are the character in a virtual world. He asks how you would know you are in the virtual world and poses the question as if the consciousness was the virtual character in the game, "where did I and this world, come from?"

I like the notion but logically the guy in the game is your guy as created by you. It is not you AND is not conscious except thru your focus of attention on its surroundings and apparent interations from your physical and concious body. This presents a problem for the whole argument and interrupts the locial flow for the rest of the series (to me.) The consciousness is remote and part of another reality. How do I get past this issue as I do not consider myself the master of this subject or thought realm and have very high regard for Tom Cambell.

Respectfully, StoneZen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Curator
Curator

A link to that source material would be of value as it is difficult to find anything specific in the disorder of Facebook.

In general Tom describes the situation with game characters to illustrate the situation with yourself here in this Virtual Reality. That is, that the you that you perceive yourself to be are actually much like that video game character. The real consciousness is elsewhere and not between your VR ears. Beyond this, I need an actual reference and to listen directly to comment more specifically.

You might go to this link on the MBT Wiki and read this written lecture by Tom, prepared from bulletin board posts by him for distribution in advance of his Events like that in Spain. http://wiki.my-big-toe.com/index.php/An ... _Realities This discusses games such as you ask about. From there, you might back up to the link page for all of his written lectures and see if there might be others of value to you.

Ted

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted,

I think he is talking about the Spain lecture series on YouTube, not Facebook.

Stonezen,

The virtual character is not you and is not conscious, you are correct. One of the points of the virtual world metaphor is to show that the control of the character (consciousness making choices) comes from outside the virtual world. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking, so if not, please feel free to rephrase your question.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:55 pm 
Curator
Curator

Youtube or Facebook. My mistake and all a muddled jumble, either one. Nothing in order and readily findable. A link resolves all questions. I refuse to search for things on Youtube when a link could simply be posted.

Ted

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:03 am 

Sorry about that Ted Vollers. This is the link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AihD2__gKE

msagansk was correct.

Thanks for all the help folks!