Return Home
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:56 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTtftTKbi4

Tom talks with Marla Frees and Laurie Huston!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

man oh man , Ted !!

It just dosent get any better than this Tom U tube :)

Thanks so much for this Keith !!

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don´t know if anyone of you got this, but when I read it, my heart started beating at
100 miles per second.
This experiment was published a few days ago proving Wheeler correct. This is what Tom has talked about in this video you placed:

EXPERIMENT CONFIRMS QUANTUM THEORY WEIRDNESS
27 MAY 2015

Associate Professor Andrew Truscott (L) with PhD student Roman Khakimov.
Associate Professor Andrew Truscott (L) with PhD student Roman Khakimov.

The bizarre nature of reality as laid out by quantum theory has survived another test, with scientists performing a famous experiment and proving that reality does not exist until it is measured.

Physicists at The Australian National University (ANU) have conducted John Wheeler's delayed-choice thought experiment, which involves a moving object that is given the choice to act like a particle or a wave. Wheeler's experiment then asks - at which point does the object decide?

Common sense says the object is either wave-like or particle-like, independent of how we measure it. But quantum physics predicts that whether you observe wave like behavior (interference) or particle behavior (no interference) depends only on how it is actually measured at the end of its journey. This is exactly what the ANU team found.

"It proves that measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it," said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott from the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.

Despite the apparent weirdness, the results confirm the validity of quantum theory, which governs the world of the very small, and has enabled the development of many technologies such as LEDs, lasers and computer chips.

The ANU team not only succeeded in building the experiment, which seemed nearly impossible when it was proposed in 1978, but reversed Wheeler's original concept of light beams being bounced by mirrors, and instead used atoms scattered by laser light.

"Quantum physics' predictions about interference seem odd enough when applied to light, which seems more like a wave, but to have done the experiment with atoms, which are complicated things that have mass and interact with electric fields and so on, adds to the weirdness," said Roman Khakimov, PhD student at the Research School of Physics and Engineering.

Professor Truscott's team first trapped a collection of helium atoms in a suspended state known as a Bose-Einstein condensate, and then ejected them until there was only a single atom left.

The single atom was then dropped through a pair of counter-propagating laser beams, which formed a grating pattern that acted as crossroads in the same way a solid grating would scatter light.

A second light grating to recombine the paths was randomly added, which led to constructive or destructive interference as if the atom had travelled both paths. When the second light grating was not added, no interference was observed as if the atom chose only one path.

However, the random number determining whether the grating was added was only generated after the atom had passed through the crossroads.

If one chooses to believe that the atom really did take a particular path or paths then one has to accept that a future measurement is affecting the atom's past, said Truscott.

"The atoms did not travel from A to B. It was only when they were measured at the end of the journey that their wave-like or particle-like behavior was brought into existence," he said.

The research is published in Nature Physics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Do you have a link Dinah?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Here is the link, Linda

http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/exp ... -weirdness

and these scientists write:

"It proves that measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it," said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott from the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Most appreciative Dinah :)

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 am 

How can we extrapolate this to our lives? Does it mean that everything in the universe is in a superposition of states until observed or known by someone? What about if/when the observer dies and no one else observed the event? Does it go back to a superposition of states?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:18 am 
Curator
Curator

Jordi,

I think the following will be more productive than trying to answer your specific questions here. You will also gain some understanding of the resources we have available here. There has been a lot of discussion of this kind of question in the past, including Tom. Linda might have some handy specific references but I do not and would have to do searches. The general principle is that the state of information in the VR is maintained consistently. But also, if something is unknown, or if information held by someone in the past is totally lost as by their death or the simple loss of the information record including anyone's extant memory, then things return to probability. When such information is required again by observation, the simplest thing is done and the most probable result is returned. Information which is not known by anyone is taken from probability. Superposition as you say. Information that is known is maintained consistently.

I suggest that you consider reading through these links in this forum [Board index » An Archive of The Best Threads From All Forum Topics]: viewforum.php?f=18 These are links to threads, typically including important information from Tom in various categories. They were not set up by Tom but rather by board members who thought specific threads were of particular value.

Then there were 'lectures' which were made up by Tom and I as Tom picked particular subjects as threads from the forum and created the original compilations and then I took them and generalized them into more smoothly flowing lectures based on what Tom was saying, moving them away from individuals asking questions and Tom answering them as their original form. Tom then used them for handouts as introductions for many of his early presentations. Then they were placed on the Wiki for ready access by anyone. They read more smoothly like lectures now rather than in their original question and answer in posts format. There have also been further additions by Tom on specific subjects. http://www.wiki.my-big-toe.com/Tom_Campbell_-_Lectures You will find them all of value and can probably pick the ones most likely to answer your questions from the titles. I think that none will waste your time in learning something of value that Tom has taught here. You can also download any or all of them as PDF files using the Wiki standard capabilities to save them on your own computer to read at your leisure.

Finally you might do a search on the board for the terms 'trees woods', short for trees in the woods, since 'in' and 'the' are too common for search terms and would be ignored. Search for twcjr as the author which is Tom. This will bring up 17 links in the extensive discussions based on the old question, if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does it make a sound. These should cover much of the territory which you are asking about.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jordi, if an observer to an event dies, and that event doesn't effect anything else, then it is if the event never happened. But in our interconnected data streams that is almost never true. Say someone saw that a car had gone off the road down a mountain. And on the way to tell someone that person had a heart attack and died. The fact that there is a car with someone hurt or dead is still in the history data base. Because that event happened for someone and has ramifications in the data stream. There is still a rule set. And although it is not an objective reality, but a subjective reality, that is still in play.

And almost always the probability is that the rule set is followed. But every once in awhile there is something weird that doesn't follow the most probable outcome of the ruleset. That is where random draw probability comes in to play.

To really understand this takes a paradigm shift because it is so contrary to what we think we know. Read Tom's post about trees and then watch the YouTube video where Tom discusses probability in detail. You will get a better understanding from those two things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcxeEaOTVrU
36:24 starts how is physical reality produced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That´s interesting Linda

But If I am talking with someone on the telephone, who is far away and I dont oberve her, does that person still not exist in the physical virtual reality?
Then how come I hear her voice?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:54 pm 
Curator
Curator

Both you and your friend are both in the VR of PMR. But you both are there because you receive a data stream which places you there and she receives a data stream which places here there. But your data stream only contains the things that you can be directly aware of and observe. The same goes for her. And the miles of cable that connects your phone to hers is not in your data stream or hers but it is kept track of and exists for the technician on a ladder somewhere along the way because it is in his data stream.

You are in the house and your friend is in the store on a mobile phone so the Sun in the sky is not in your data stream. But it is part of the VR because it is in the data stream of all the others who are out in it and can directly observe it.

There is the hurdle to get over of realizing how a VR works.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You explain it very well Ted, then this means that there is a personal data stream for each one and that it exists for that person and those with whom the person is interacting in every moment, and the PMR of objects that surround the person.
If there is a desert, and no one is there, no one looks at it, in that moment it does not exist but if I go to this desert then it appears.
Does the virtual reality of my body and brain appear at the same time than the desert and the sand?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dinah, It's not that the desert "appears." But rather your FWAU starts getting rendered the data stream of the desert. In reality, there are always some critters and animals that inhabit the desert are getting the data for the desert. They are rendered the amount of data appropriate to their decision space. An ant isn't rendered the same amount of detail that you would be.

If you drive to the desert and see a coyote, then you would appear in its data stream and it would appear in your data stream. That is all in accordance with the PMR ruleset.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:28 pm 
Curator
Curator

Since I had already written this up, I'll go ahead and post it, although Linda has basically covered it all.

This has been discussed many times. If there is no one conscious in your hypothetical desert, including critters under the rocks, then it exists only in probability and to maintain continuity if it is visited at times but not always. And if you go there in PMR, your body starts to be shown as existing there within any data stream being sent to someone who is observing you there. And you can see at least parts of your own body in your own data stream. But your brain plays no part there as it is not being imaged for you or for anyone. It exists in probability but to show you perhaps your face in a mirror, your brain does not have to be included in the data stream that provides you with this mirror image.

If someone brained you with a big rock, it would probably become evident. But without this happening, it is your IUOC which fulfills your thinking functions which PMR thought attributes to your brain. You brain 'follows' Consciousness as it embodies what your IUOC does with its avatar (you) and its characteristics, interpreted under the PMR rule set. But it exists in the VR only in probability. So if you are right handed, it is because your IUOC is 'right handed' in its digital structure and function so that you act as if you are right handed and if your brain were examined for the characteristic of handedness, it would show the characteristics of being right handed. Now that does not mean there is a specific structure for handedness in our IUOCs, although there may be. This handedness could also be dependent upon the VR rule set saying that you are right handed. As Tom says, Consciousness leads and the VR body follows.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 am 

Thank you Ted and Sainbury for the links.

My mother recently passed away but the cause of her death is uncertain. All the information I have is from her death certificate that was issued by the doctor who saw her after her death. Since he filled out the certificate AFTER her death without autopsy, the information is at best speculative. The other doctor, the one who treated my mom before her death, is not reachable because she passed away in a nursing home in Spain (I live in California), and they have a policy of confidentiality. I am not sure if the doctor knows what the cause of her death is either. In this case, does it mean that because of the uncertainty of the cause of her death my mom somehow may be in a superposition of death causes? If so, does it mean that she may be suffering all those probable death causes eternally? I am sorry if this is a silly question but I can't help thinking about it, and I haven't found a clear answer anywhere. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.