Return Home
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:52 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Radagast, my post was not meant to imply or incite criticism of yours. In my short time here you've been a great source of info and discourse. I think we are still misunderstanding each other on the double slit topic but the focus has shifted.
I guess what I'd like to get across is that though they are all untestable theories in a way, they also represent the timeless march of mainstream scientific thought. Here's a great article I stumbled upon just yesterday:
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20151216 ... f-science/
We're at a point where the technology and energy required to probe any deeper into the fabric of the universe is so great that it cannot be achieved until we build a dyson sphere, or two, or 10. And maybe even then there will be no way to empirically answer the fundamental questions of cosmology, i.e. bubble universes, universal collapse and rebound, etc.
I follow and defend the exploration of things like string theory and the varying interpretations of quantum mechanics because they are important, grandiose thought experiments that give us insight into where to prod and poke next, and give us new and revolutionary ways of thinking about reality. Just like MBT!
I certainly agree that string theory, branes, and the quantum theory of gravity are nowhere close to being falsifiable, but they are useful as scaffolding to build upon when we eventually can. Tom's theory may be unfalsifiable in certain aspects, but as a "big picture" it is exceptionally graceful. Ultimately both the worlds of physics/mathematics and the world of metaphysics/consciousness will have to start sharing notes. This duality is not only interesting, but I believe it will ultimately be necessary to truly reconcile quantum mechanics and relativity, physics and metaphysics, that both the academic world and the world at large can accept.

And I agree, it is certainly not a good idea to turn this into a religion. Although if it does, dibs on a lofty bishop position. I'll wave and bless people by saying "it's just data".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Zarathustra (ambitious name): Which is according to you, the meaning of metaphysics? What does it include?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Zarathustra was picked mainly as a reference to both Zoroaster and Nietzche, not as an attempt at denoting my significance, of which I assure you there is none. Also I simply needed a name and it had more ring to it than "BigCoolGuy22".

In RPG/tabletop gaming, "meta-gaming" is when a player uses outside (real life) knowledge, logic, or experience, no matter how trivial or common, to effect his or her character's decisions in-game. It is frowned upon, but it is informative in how I came to understand the concept of "meta". The story of Jeroins the Half-Elf druid's adventures in the lands of Mistheim would be physics, and my smelly high school friends and I in our mom's basement would be metaphysics. We might have several campaigns or "in-game worlds" and characters running at one time, just as a there might be numerous PMR's running as subsets of a larger reality.

I would say metaphysics is anything above, beyond, at the start or at the end of traditional pmr physics. This would be your "outside view" of cosmology, higher planes of existence, the fundamental realm before time and the transcendental object at the end of time. Essentially anything, as Tom might say, that seems "mystical" and without causal relationships or the ability to be derived from within our current reality. As I come to understand Tom's books more it would seem my understanding of such things are hilariously stunted, but I'm working on it.
Why do you ask? Testing me?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Zara, I like Nietzche. In the year that Nietzche died, my grandfather was a student of medicine and a writer who was a friend of his wanted to visit Nietzche, so my grandfather wrote a medical permit for that. It was very sad because Nietzche was demented already. He was a bright being and I cite him frequently.

For me metaphysics is everything that is conscious. Physical is what is created through consciousness whether as sum of particles, quantum generated or virtually.
Physics is the little thing. Consciousness the big one.
Consciousness is fundamental and nothing can exist without it.
Consciousness is what created us.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'd say your definition is quite valid Dinah.