Return Home
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:37 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:01 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Did Tom say that this means that you're not ready to process the information yet?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have heard him give this explanation, not TMI. They just know it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:34 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

should i just keep practicing meditation the same way? Or, is there a way to train myself to not click out?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:23 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank you, Ted. I'll just keep on chugging then!
Quote:
Does point consciousness feel similar to falling asleep? When I listen to Tom's binaural beats I feel like I fall asleep for a short period of time. Not sure if im sleeping though. I also heard that his binaural beats changes frequencies so that you don't fall asleep. I usually listen to them lying down. Maybe I should try sitting up?
I think it is difficult to define point consciousness as a state because people experience different things during meditation. This is apparent when you try to research terms such as samadhi, turiya or transcendence and the various conflicting definitions for each.

What you are describing is a common experience for me but it is happening less as time goes on. Typically, after about 5 minutes, the dialogue in my mind goes quiet. My body is usually very numb and outside "disturbances" are ignored. I am aware that I am having no inner dialogue and it is usually at this stage where I get a LOT of conscious vivid visions which I can not make sense of. Also, sometimes I get stuck inside a story and I get so immersed in it that I start laughing but I am only semi-conscious at that point.

The "blackness" in front of my eyes tends to become 3D-ish and is usually accompanied by a white swirling light in the middle. Something usually tends to happen if I focus on it in my mind but my physical eyes tend to interfere and move, bringing me back.

I think the main indicator though is a silent mind. If you get to the point where you stop talking to yourself and your thoughts then you are just there in stillness.

From my limited experience, it is best to just keep practicing and you will feel differences as time goes on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:53 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote:
should i just keep practicing meditation the same way? Or, is there a way to train myself to not click out?
Joel, it is most likely that this is happening because you are laying down which your body has habituated with sleep. Try a different position or sit up and also remember that the point is to clear your mind of chatter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:50 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Would using Tom's binaural beats, lying down, and eventually clicking out / falling asleep for a short period of time during the meditation still be a productive meditation? In other words, am I still going in the right direction? Is it something that I will eventually overcome?
Or, am I thinking about all of this with my intellect too much?

-Joel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:21 pm 
Curator
Curator

Yes.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:12 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I take it that's a yes to all questions. LOL :)

Thanks Ted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Would using Tom's binaural beats, lying down, and eventually clicking out / falling asleep for a short period of time during the meditation still be a productive meditation? In other words, am I still going in the right direction
I have this sorta thing happen from time to time during my meditation sessions,,
Usually after a harder days work at landscaping this happens..
I have posed similar questions to your posting here to myself..
Overall I tend to characterize these types of sessions as quite "productive" toward
the usual goals we have for meditation..

Hope this helps a bit,

Brian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:53 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Brian,

Yeah, that helps alot. I'll search for your posts about that.

Thanks!

-Joel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Would using Tom's binaural beats, lying down, and eventually clicking out / falling asleep for a short period of time during the meditation still be a productive meditation? In other words, am I still going in the right direction? Is it something that I will eventually overcome? Or, am I thinking about all of this with my intellect too much? -Joel
No, you probably will not get over this, and it might get worse. You might be training yourself to fall asleep, or click out.

Tom was really talking about meditating and doing something else at the same time here, but I think this applies to your situation.

...start your meditation in a different way than you normally do it. If you normally sit down to meditate then lie down or stand up. Do it differently. It will seem impossible at first, “I just can’t meditate lying down.” You know, because you always do it sitting up. Or if you always do it lying down you, “Just can’t meditate sitting up.” These are just habits. You get into these habits and habits become rituals. You don’t need them. Learn to meditate while standing on one foot in the corner; learn to meditate while walking in the park; or learn to meditate while riding on a city bus full of school children. Learn to meditate under any kind of circumstance and keep at it until you get good at it. Keep at it until you really can be as good on the school bus with the children, as you can alone in your home in your favorite chair. You just practice. It seems impossible at first but you will see; it will come. You will be able to do that.

viewtopic.php?f=259&t=8469

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:40 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok. Thank you sainbury. I need to start sitting up then:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hello all,

This is a great thread .. Lots of useful information. I have a question about something that Luke said (below). I have heard people mentioning this before and I'm begining to notice it with my self also.
Quote:
In terms of its effects in my life, it has been extremely invaluable and I cannot stress this enough. I hardly react to situations which used to cause me considerable grief and anger and I sometimes feel happy for no reason. Sometimes, I also get into this state where my mind is very silent and I do things without having to think about them (like on auto-pilot I suppose?). Maybe this is what is meant by living in the present.
My question is, how does this work? What is the science behind it? Because if you think of it, when you try to meditate you're trying to not do anything and how can that trigger someone to feel better, happier, more at peace? Is it because there are less thoughts, or are we simply feeling better because we believe that we are growing spiritualy, that we belong (ego?)?

Thanks,
Mitja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Mitja,

Here is one article. There a re many such articles peppered all across the internet. Simply search for "How meditation rewires the brain".

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ch ... your-brain

~Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:48 pm 
Curator
Curator

In meditation you are attempting to cut off the 'chatter'. This chatter can be based on anything from fears to social interaction to ego and desires. Noise. That is what you are trying to get rid of in order to hear clearly any actual communication intended for you or to clearly ask questions of what ever you can reach and connect with which can provide those answers desired or needed to expand your understanding. 'Feeling better', if it comes is secondary, not primary, and comes from reaching your base level with less noise to block understanding and perception. At least to me.

Ted

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next