New page on Tom's translated or subtitled works planned.

Devoted to providing the interface between the Bulletin Board and the Wiki. Links you might want to follow to the Wiki.
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Re: New page on Tom's translated or subtitled works planned.

Post by Ted Vollers »

pman,

I don't have any specific suggestions for you. I am in the process of setting up pages on the Wiki displaying translations of the books at present. I have not gotten to setting up pages with the kind of materials you are talking about as yet. This kind of work has been done for the Spanish language and German language although the German language was actually a 'voice over' in German. Anything like this is welcome. There was discussion of the Spanish subtitling here on the board that you might search out. It is best, as I understand, to start out with an English script and then create a translated script and put the translated subtitles on the video. Bette if I remember may have either created this English script or at least part of it, but I don't know what it was a transcript of. I suggest that you read this thread about the Spanish translation work. You might contact the German translator as that work is hosted on his web site. You might get valuable information by direct contact. I am working towards pages with various translation aids and English transcripts but do not have this done as yet.

Ted
Miguel Queiroz

Post by Miguel Queiroz »

Dear Ted,

I am the one currently working on the Portuguese translations. I Am half way in the process of subtitling Tom's Hawaii workshop and subsequently, will most likely engage in a Portuguese translation for the MBT Trilogy.
However I have been at a very laborious professional situation during the last few months, hence the long time it's taking. I hope to be able to have things organized in order to be able to boost these translations soon enough.

I am also currently working on the organization of the Portugal Workshop for November 10th/11th.

Miguel
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Miguel,

Glad to hear from you about the Portuguese translation project. Have you seen the pages on translations being set up on the Wiki? They might be of interest to you. http://wiki.my-big-toe.com/index.php/Tr ... _Materials I am working with Tom to set up some pages with aids for those making such translations which starts with this page and link from there. As you will see, I mention that I understood that there was such a project under way but had no information. Tom has written up a statement on his policy towards such translations, stated on the pages I refer you to, and we are trying to make things more formal and organized and less casual and uncertain. I am working with those who are making translations towards setting up conditions and processes to get their questions about translation answered and also having those questions and answers localized in a common place as likely to come up for most translators, and many regular readers, who as primary speakers of some other language are not familiar with colloquialisms or American cultural references that Tom uses in his books in order to make them more approachable and comfortable for general readers. Setting the mood and tone of the more than 800 pages to a 'lighter' level less difficult for general readers of a set of books which are fundamentally works of science, metaphysics and philosophy and quite dense with information.

Those answers will either be made by Tom, and he is sending me his previous questions and responses to put up on these pages, or by myself and confirmed by Tom. Specific questions and answers to a specific person translating into a specific language will be generalized and the specifics changed so that they will be useful to any translator into any language. This should aid in producing higher quality and more uniform translations without Tom or the translators having to cover the same ground and reinvent the same tools for understanding. It should eventually produce a useful cross cultural tool for general readers who come from other countries and read in English while being non native English readers, and not immersed in the American cultural scene, as well as directly useful as a resource for those working on translations.

Any comments and recommendations, and questions, that you might have would be welcome. There are discussion pages on the Wiki to which visitors, as well as approved editors, can post their comments and suggestions. There will be pages for every chapter of Tom's books for which people ask such questions for understanding. I think that these pages can be very useful as My Big TOE becomes more of world wide interest than just an American and then European phenomenon.

Ted
Miguel Queiroz

Post by Miguel Queiroz »

Thank you for the link, Ted. I find it wonderful that you and Tom have setup these information and support pages for the translations in progress. I think it's of utmost importance to have this resource as a source for support and standardization of the translation criteria.
I have read Tom's statement and it only makes perfect sense. A translation or an excerpt of it should never reach the public until Tom has verified that the quality of the translation ensures a correct understanding of MBT's underlying concepts and spirit.

I haven't started the actual MBT Trilogy translation because I'm still working in the workshop video subtitling (which should also work as a "minimum requirement" demonstration of my translating ability). As soon as I engage in the MBT Trilogy translations I'll be sure to contribute more to the Wiki pages. However, if at this point, you think I can already contribute with anything to the Wiki, please just let me know.
merlin751
Normal User
Normal User

Post by merlin751 »

Hello Ted and Miguel,

I am also willing to volunteer to help translate/transcribe some videos into Portuguese. I have noticed that Tom usually refers people to the Calgary youtube videos in his interviews, so I'd like to ask if this is the best option to an "introduction to MBT"? I understand Miguel is working on the Hawaii conferences, so no point in doing those.
Also, are there any youtube caption files available for the Calgary sessions? Even if only the timestamps are available, or even if it's in another language, this would make it much easier to do the translation work.
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

Merlin,

I am not aware of such files of subtitles in one language already. I believe that some were created for one set of information or lectures. Compiling a list of all of Tom's lectures is something which I am in the process of doing. That other information needs to be gathered as well. I have made some listing of available translations on the Wiki but not all languages translations supposedly in process have been provided to me to reference there. Some of these translations may have been abandoned or those doing them may not wish to come forward as yet. Here is a link to what is available on the Wiki: http://wiki.my-big-toe.com/index.php/Tr ... _Materials

Ted
merlin751
Normal User
Normal User

Post by merlin751 »

Thank you,

I'll start the Calgary Conferences, and when I have news I'll let you know how it is going.
s.lareck
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by s.lareck »

I didn't see a link anywhere to this German translation I came across, meine große Theorie von Allem: http://books.google.com/books?id=606BcQ ... &q&f=false

edit: nm I found the link on the wiki http://wiki.my-big-toe.com/index.php/Ge ... MBT_-_B1S1
Everything is simpler than we can imagine, at the same time more complex and intertwined than can be comprehended--Goethe, Maxims & Reflections

Return to “Wandering on the Wiki”