Return Home
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:52 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Please do not post here except for such confirmations and of course for discussion of such confirmations.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
He was attacking my character for being a lefty. And trying to tie "mis-direction" to what he did is not the only definition for an ad-homeniem (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem)
The nuance is that it's not being used to discredit your character in the context of undermining any particular argument presented. He is sharing his general opinion which is just his prejudice.
The ad-hominem fallacy would not be applicable here.
Quote:

I prefer to treat others how they treat me regardless of their political leanings.
An eye for an eye! :^)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:45 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

+Human, He is attempting to discredit my character as I am a lefty, and claims that leftys are "week (weak) sniveling meatsuits". He even admitted to it.

And I'm not going to take anyone's eye out. I understand you are speaking allegorically. But at the same time I'm not some welcome-mat. So don't try to pigeon hole me into not replying to the obvious misgivings of the other poster.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:53 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

thynes, you say you are not trying to do anything. Yet you admitted you attacked my character for being a lefty and I'm sure you are making a bunch of assumptions about me. That's fine, you do you.

Though I believe in just reciprocity which can be on one political side as much as the other. Also, I do *NOT* believe in "survival of the fittest" or social Darwinism. That is such a wasteful and cruel philosophy. Again, you believe in that but would seem to go with political ideology that would vote for a party (republicans or libertarian) who would cut social programs of the needy (many of them children or the sick) just to give tax cuts to the super-rich and mega-corporations. Yeah, you're such a low-entropy humanitarian for that. :D Am I wrong?

And I did flip the script on what you said as it pertains to the LCS. the LCS is all about giving help when it is asked for. The republican/libertarian/right-wing mentality is to only give that help when the helper feels like it i.e. volunteerism. And the helps is under no obligation to help those who ask for it whether or not it's a tangible effort or not. The LCS on the otherhand always gives it when asked or needed. Savy?

And you say that "Your type does not flow from growth", have you seen my other posts that have stemmed back from 2012 as an example? I said before I'm not here just to spam my YouTube channel, just to show a playlist of titles of videos I made. You do know you can click on that playlist, see the video names and it won't add any activity to my channel right?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
He is attempting to discredit my character as I am a lefty, and claims that leftys are "week (weak) sniveling meatsuits". He even admitted to it.
He is not discrediting your character as any sort of counter point to any argument presented here.
You didn't present a political argument that he is trying to undermine here by giving his opinion of what the left stands for nor does it affect your credibility in explaining your precognitions, as was the subject of the thread.

Therefore, it is technically not an ad-hominem fallacy. That is called sharing an opinion. It's as big of a deal as you want to make it.
Quote:
I'm not some welcome-mat. So don't try to pigeon hole me into not replying to the obvious misgivings of the other poster.
Not even remotely my intent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:33 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ad%20hominem

I already showed you that I was correct in using ad-hominem to describe what he did. Yours is not the only accepted meaning of the word. Are you going to argue against the dictionary?

And as far as your intent, we'll see about that.

Nice for you to get back with me after a week tho... :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:19 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ad hominem does not just mean insult or negative opinion. That is not why it is typically considered a fallacy.

The dictionary link acknowledges the etymology and, in interpreting both the older use and newer use of the word, still describes them within a "debate" or "argument". Even the first definition in appealing to feelings is given context as an argument. There is a reason why every other source you can look at is going to refer to ad-hominem within the context of an argument or a debate tactic.

If you want to simply conflate ad hominem with insult, then it's your prerogative but then we have to remove all the negative connotations about it being fallacious and so on in it's common and understood usage when you say it to someone.

If you want to take this a layer further:
Quote:
JOE: He is attempting to discredit my character as I am a lefty
Quote:
JOE: already showed you that I was correct in using ad-hominem to describe what he did

You linked a dictionary definition in your defense that says, "appealing to feelings or prejudices rather than intellect" ------> which does not imply "discrediting character" at all.

In fact, taking an ad-homimen to be, "discrediting character" would be referencing its etymology and usage as an argumentive style or debate tactic.

So which one is it?

You just argued it was an ad-hominem because he, "discredited" your character but then you defended your use of ad-hominem as being outside of an argument context by a definition that has doesn't inherently imply anything about "discrediting your character".