Return Home
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:06 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not ask questions about the model of Reality here. Only discuss principles and practical applications.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:17 am 

I've been meditating now for over a year straight.

I've tried many different approaches with very little progress in terms of my anxiety disorder. I've had some interesting experiences, but still struggling to thwart my anxiety disorder.

What must I do to rid my anxiety disorder?

How can I function even like an average person?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:58 am 
Curator
Curator

Jessie,

One of the things that Tom and the rest of us advocate here is that when faced with a medical problem, you make use of what help the licensed medical authorities can provide to you. Do not neglect them in favor of metaphysical approaches. We do not practice medicine here. That being said, here is what is said on the government web site. This is from a booklet which you can download from the link given below this quotation. They discuss multiple types of anxiety disorders.
Quote:
Anxiety Disorders affect about 40 million American adults age 18 years and older (about 18%) in a given year,1 causing them to be filled with fearfulness and uncertainty. Unlike the relatively mild, brief anxiety caused by a stressful event (such as speaking in public or a first date), anxiety disorders last at least 6 months and can get worse if they are not treated. Anxiety disorders commonly occur along with other mental or physical illnesses, including alcohol or substance abuse, which may mask anxiety symptoms or make them worse. In some cases, these other illnesses need to be treated before a person will respond to treatment for the anxiety disorder.

Effective therapies for anxiety disorders are available, and research is uncovering new treatments that can help most people with anxiety disorders lead productive, fulfilling lives. If you think you have an anxiety disorder, you should seek information and treatment right away.
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... l?rf=53414

This makes anxiety disorders very common as occurring in nearly 20% of the US population. In terms of MBT, I at least cannot tell you where these things originate. Perhaps Tom has access to more information. I have given no thought to that before. Some aspects are obvious to me but do not really tell us much that is useful so I see no value in going into them here. I do want to make sure that you are getting suitable medical help with this problem as we could not legally help you in terms of any kind of treatment recommendation.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:28 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there Jesse

I agree with Ted whole heartedly...let me ask, what kind of meditation are you doing?

Daghda

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:45 pm 

I have had an anxiety disorder for a long time. Therefore, I advise you to see a psychiatrist for evaluation. If he does psychotherapy, I would encourage this to get to the roots of your anxiety since anxiety does not occur for no reason. There may be subconscious issues that are not going to be magically solved via meditation. Frankly, in my case, when I have a terrible anxiety attack, I take clonazepam, which nips it in the bud. This medication is addictive so I only take it (as a doctor prescribed) to reduce the symptoms. Then I work with my therapist to dig up what may be going on that invoked that severe anxiety reaction. Medications can allow you to reach a state of mental calm that will allow you to partake of therapy successfully. It is a little hard to do so when you are freaking out! I know of no one who claims that meditation alone is going to heal an anxiety disorder. I created an anxiety Toolkit for myself. I would like to share it with you online. Just click on the url below and you can read and/or download it. I put it together to help me when I face an anxiety situation. It summarizes many of the best recommendations of scientists and the medical field. I would NOT rely on metaphysical mumbo jumbo to deal with a real medical situation!

https://www.docdroid.net/tdb8w3C/anxiet ... uction.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:15 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I have had an anxiety disorder for a long time. Therefore, I advise you to see a psychiatrist for evaluation. If he does psychotherapy, I would encourage this to get to the roots of your anxiety since anxiety does not occur for no reason. There may be subconscious issues that are not going to be magically solved via meditation. Frankly, in my case, when I have a terrible anxiety attack, I take clonazepam, which nips it in the bud. This medication is addictive so I only take it (as a doctor prescribed) to reduce the symptoms. Then I work with my therapist to dig up what may be going on that invoked that severe anxiety reaction. Medications can allow you to reach a state of mental calm that will allow you to partake of therapy successfully. It is a little hard to do so when you are freaking out! I know of no one who claims that meditation alone is going to heal an anxiety disorder. I created an anxiety Toolkit for myself. I would like to share it with you online. Just click on the url below and you can read and/or download it. I put it together to help me when I face an anxiety situation. It summarizes many of the best recommendations of scientists and the medical field. I would NOT rely on metaphysical mumbo jumbo to deal with a real medical situation!

You do realize that you are responding to a post that is almost 4 for years old. Thanks for the insight.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that you are responding to a post that is almost 4 for years old. Thanks for the insight.
I thought it was from April 2018. Oh, well. 7 people have accessed the document above. Since I did not publicize it anywhere else on the internet, people must be reading this thread even now.