Return Home
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:32 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not make an initial post to start a new thread on this forum once you advance beyond the beginner level of posts. This forum is an experiment with the purpose of encouraging the participation of those who have so far only hung out in the background and looked over the bulletin board. It is intended to be a place where things are orderly for beginners without the free interaction of the main board. Post only with care for the recognition that we are welcoming a new member and not arguing with a fellow old timer. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Post subject: Meditation & Fear
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:19 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Hello All,

I have been absorbing MBT and listening to Tom's video uploads for quite a while (with both fascination and delight) but I have barely managed to progress with meditation. I believe I've found a suitable technique and feel I can start to enter different states of consciousness however, I keep halting even the most basic of progress due to fear!

I'm not sure if I am alone with this fear but when I literally start to meditate, I become incredibly sensitive to all sound and feel like I perceive 'feelings' and energy around me which I just can't get over/accept? In honesty, I become spooked and jumpy......and this extends to periods when I'm not even meditating (such as trying to sleep).

Can anyone offer advice on how I may tackle this fear or what it is I start to experience? I'd also be keen to know if anyone else has this kind of sensation & associated fear of it?

Kind regards

Post subject: Re: Meditation & Fear
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Entropy,

Thanks for joining the discussion forum!

Let me preface my answer by saying: Meditation is not fundamental to your success in evolving your being. You can reduce your entropy and become love perfectly fine without ever meditating a day in your life. Meditation does help you quiet your mind / intellectual chatter so that you may be more acquainted with your own consciousness. This can help you achieve the primary goal of reducing your entropy but as mentioned, it's not entirely necessary. So if you're having so much trouble, just try letting go of meditation for a few months, and return to it later after focusing on reducing your own entropy in that time. Meditation is just a tool.

Now to address your question:
Quote:
I have barely managed to progress with meditation
It may be safe to say you don't have a large enough data set of mediation to accurately judge whether or not your meditations are progressing. Really, there's no need to progress or anything like that. We here in western society PMR culture, I feel, are hard wired to achieve, and bringing this mindset to meditation is not necessarily ideal. You should just relax and practice earnestly, (usually for a set period of time to start) without any expectation of "getting better", or achieving anything. Just give the process time and do your best without judging whether or not you are "getting better," or anything like that. It's a lifelong process truly!

Quote:
I become incredibly sensitive to all sound and feel like I perceive 'feelings' and energy around me which I just can't get over/accept?
This is the heart of it. A true point consciousness state allows you to ignore all incoming PMR sense data. It just doesn't register to you. You "hear" so to say, it but it's not a big deal, it's not acted upon. I'd suggest doing your best to ignore all those sounds, accept them as they come and then let them pass. Same with the energy, feel it as it comes, then let it pass, focus on that point consciousness state to start.
Quote:
Can anyone offer advice on how I may tackle this fear or what it is I start to experience? I'd also be keen to know if anyone else has this kind of sensation & associated fear of it?
Tom's advice on beating fears is to first pin point exactly what the fear is. Are you afraid of losing your own identity or yourself if you go too deep in meditation? Are you afraid if you meditate that you are vulnerable in PMR? This will be up to you to really decide what your fear is of. Then as a mental exercise, you think of the very worst that may happen, and accept that and be OK with it. If your fear is of losing yourself, then the very worst thing that can happen is you start meditating and go "out of body" and can never come back (an irrational fear). But accept this, say to yourself, if this happens I'm OK with it, I truly want to meditate, this is what I want. In that way, you have already accepted the worst that the fear can bring, and you may move past it.

You may also find Tom's piece on meditation in the MBT triliogy here:

My Big TOE on Google Books

The passage starts on:

Book 1, Section 2, Chapter 23 , PAGE 167.

Hope this helps!! Keep it up!

Adam

Last edited by ahash31 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grammer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:52 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hi Entropy!

A meditation method which I find very simple and practical is Douglas Harding`s "The Headless Way".
You might check it out:

http://www.headless.org/

Anna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Focus on your breath Entropy. Anytime you feel the sensations around you, the energy, etc, or the fear which results from all that, just choose to refocus on your breath. Breathe deeply too... filling your lungs with air fills your body with energy, this energy removes fear, as fear is due to a contraction... a "cutting off" if you will.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, might sound daft but I use ear plugs, cant hear a thing then lol.

I've been meditating now ( well trying too) for about a year, and sometimes I feel I really let go and get that wierd feeling of being nowhere in a blackness feeling light and as if im swirling .. could be the void... but other times I feel like im just laid with my eyes shut.

John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Hi Entropy,
I see what you did there.

Btw, Entropy, any results?

I'm curious if anyone's advice here worked for you.

-Shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:40 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi all, sorry for late reply! I did manage to log in remotely via my mobile and read messages but it has taken until now to find time to write a response.

Adam, Anna, Shaw & John.......I really appreciate that you took time to offer support and advice :) I had toyed with the idea of registering on the MBT forum for a while so I could ask for advice and I'm now very glad I did, thank you.

All advice has helped and I can honestly say that I've had a personal break through over the last couple of days. Knowing (or being reminded) that meditation isn't necessary and to examine my actual fears associated with the feelings that spooked me really helped. As did the suggestion to focus on my breath and accept things during practice.

John, just so you know.......I've had the swirly thing lots in the past! I used to break meditation when it happened but then I learned to just accept the experience. Hasn't happened for a while but I think I'd just stay focused on my mantra now :)

Kind regards