Return Home
It is currently Sun May 16, 2021 4:13 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Remember that this forum is transient in nature. Do not post here what you wish to remain available and is justified under the Board purpose. Remember that board rules on civility of interaction are still enforced.

Post subject: Here's a thought ...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:11 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

This is my attempt at trying to sum up MBT in as few as words as possible:

Primal urge is division towards individuation. Secondary urge is to coalesce - formation of groups for safety, reproduction and survival.

Our current challenge is to recognise that we are one (in love) but in order to be one (in love) we need to separate (in love)

Post subject: Re: Here's a thought ...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Here is Tom's shortcut to MBT:

1). The only thing that is fundamental is consciousness – all else is virtual.
2). Consciousness is a self modifying evolving digital information system.
3). The consciousness system is finite and imperfect.
4). Physical reality is a virtual reality.
5). There are many virtual reality frames and we exist in several of them.
6). Physical and non physical are not fundamental – it is only a matter of perspective.
7). Evolution criteria, Love, and spiritual growth are all defined in terms of entropy a measurable quantity.
8). There are three data bases: The Probable Future data base; the past data base (all that did happen); and the data base of all the probabilities that might have happened but didn’t.
9). There is no such thing as an objective reality – all reality is interpreted. Light, energy, energy bodies, guides, chakras, oversoul, higher self, Reiki symbols, acupuncture technique, Ouija boards, pendulum oracles, I Ching, etc. are all metaphors/tools – consciousness is the only active ingredient.
10). The paranormal is perfectly normal.
11). Quantum Mechanics is derivable from first principles.
12). Physics and metaphysics become one understanding.
13). Metaphysics, philosophy and theology all become transparent and one can easily see and derive the threads of Big Truth that run through them. These are just the tip of the iceberg.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:

Primal urge is division towards individuation. Secondary urge is to coalesce - formation of groups for safety, reproduction and survival.

Our current challenge is to recognise that we are one (in love) but in order to be one (in love) we need to separate (in love)
Hi Rosie, I would sum up MBT and other similar models in a few words as follows: Our current challenge is to recognize that we are consciousness and more than a digital avatar. We need to view our conscious reality from that perspective; the permanent avatar or higher self. Your summation comes from the perspective of the digital avatar. Best regards,

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:

Not yet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:21 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank you all - yes, long way to go yet I guess. Oh well - as TC says, there's no rush so it's back to the drawing board (:-

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Rosie,
Quote:

Thank you for sharing this. I think there is also a third stage, and that is a return to our individuation with the understanding of our interconnectedness and interdependence as well as the unique contributions that each and every of us have and bring to the group, which should be treasured and cultivated.

In other words, the first stage is a naive egotism, where we feel separate, alien, disconnected, dropped into an existence with similarly separate and potentially hostile egos that we need to fear and defend ourselves against. Most of us experiencing this PMR are in this stage, as we are new to VRs and just figuring things out. Hence the fierce divisions, contempt, hatred and violence against others based on the extent to which they are different from us--different in their appearance, gender, sexual orientation, beliefs, which side of the river they live on, and other ephemeral and relatively meaningless differences. Tom characterizes this PMR as a kindergarten--this reminds me of that popular book in the 90s, All I Really Need To Know I Learned In Kindergarten: share with others, don't hit people, don't cheat or lie, and so on. On a deeper level, this means figuring out where "we" end and "others" begin and drawing boundaries around each. Coming to terms with our "orphanhood." Learning how to fight for ourselves and what matters to us without seriously hurting others. Learning how to care for others without completely losing who we are.

The second stage is an awareness that we are far more similar than we are different. This may be accompanied by a mystical experience: enlightenment/one with God/nirvana/awakening/transcendence/nonduality: a realization that we and everyone and everything else, are permeated by the same identical force of being, so that excessive attachment to the individual identity is harmful to the whole. As you point out in your post, this is a period of coalescence based on shared values and understanding of our interdependence. We are in it together: what are the impediments to our unification, and how can we create a reality that brings out the best in all of us? Many people in this PMR VR are slogging towards this stage, and a few are actively engaged in building a more cooperative, peaceful, and just society along these lines.

The next stage is a return to the kingdom with a newly expanded vision of both one's individuation as well as our shared bonds. There is a confidence, knowledge of who we are and what we are about, peace, joy, humor, compassion, sadness (as Tom points out in the books, "a realistic and empathetic understanding of the unnecessary self-inflicted pain that heaps misery on the world and its people"). It is rare to come across people in this PMR who have reached this point, but you know it when you see it. These are our visionaries, the ones showing the way and living a life in harmony with those values.

From a couple YouTube comments Tom wrote years ago:
Quote:
Ego is self-awareness in the service of fear. The awareness of separation, of ourselves in a VR, does not have to engender fear, but initially it often does. Eventually we grow up to enjoy our self-awareness without fear or belief (i.e., with love if we evolve positively). Because we learn that even though we are separate in our VRs, we are still one with All That Is, still connected with everything -- a solution to simultaneous cooperative oneness while being individual.
The IUOC must maintain and evolve itself, within the VR. In the VR, the IUOC must deal with "other" by making choices. Initially the choices tend to be rather self centered and self focused (at that point, with no previous experience in VRs, the self is all the IUOC knows, trusts, or understands). Needless to say, the IUOC gets feedback appropriate to the choices made.
My own thoughts on this are inspired partly by the Zen saying: "Before I had studied Zen for thirty years, I saw mountains as mountains, and waters as waters. When I arrived at a more intimate knowledge, I came to the point where I saw that mountains are not mountains, and waters are not waters. But now that I have got its very substance I am at rest. For it's just that I see mountains again as mountains, and waters once again as waters." They are also inspired by Carol Pearson's remarkable book Awakening the Heroes Within, where she describes archetypes within the phases of developing Ego, Soul, and Self similar to the phases described here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:29 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

S.L. - Thank you for your thoughtful and thought-provoking reply.
That is what I was trying to articulate.
From the perspective of my age, education, background experience blah-de-blah - it is all there in the work of Carl Jung, Erich Fromm, Shakespeare, Goethe, T.S.Eliot, William Blake; C.S.Lewis and most importantly from our host here whose work so coherently and elegantly brings it all together. And not all voices from the past . There are loads of contemporary voices currently speaking out. And whilst I may not relate to their metaphors and shudder at the imagery - never mind the spelling - the same messages come across: we really are all in this together and while I am no more nor less important than anyone else I have a responsibility to hold the line - this is right and this is wrong.
Reckon I am at level 1.5 working towards a 2!
Thanks for pointing me at Carol Pearson. I will give it a butcher's - as we say in this neck of the woods!
Go well xx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:00 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
There are loads of contemporary voices currently speaking out. And whilst I may not relate to their metaphors and shudder at the imagery - never mind the spelling - the same messages come across: we really are all in this together and while I am no more nor less important than anyone else I have a responsibility to hold the line - this is right and this is wrong.
Message received loud and clear!