Return Home
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

For Posts by Management Only. Readable by all board members.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:55 am 
Curator
Curator

There are limitations to the complexity of a search using the facilities provided within the bulletin board software system. Here is a suggestion to doing a much more precise and elaborate search for information within the bulletin board. This is going to be specifically illustrated as a means to search for and within Tom Campbell's posts. This is going to be based upon Google's Advanced Search function, showing you how to access this function directly and limit it to a search within just this bulletin board.

You start by going to the following Google advanced search site:
http://www.google.im/advanced_search

Within that page you can enter your search words more fully, carefully and specifically without understanding and remembering special formatting requirements. When you are looking at that page, you will understand what I mean.

To limit your search to Tom Campbell's posts (at least within the limits of this search function) include twcjr as a required search word.

Now after you enter your search criteria, you use the following function on that page to enter a constraint to keep the search within this board. Enter the URL for this board as shown in red into the input box simulated the brackets [] below.

site or domain: [http://www.my-big-toe.com/forums/]

Here is what that page looks like with the domain name added but with no specific search parameters included as yet.
Attachment:
AdvancedSearchPage.JPG
This should give you a list of posts by Tom Campbell. By opening the search results in another browser tab, not replacing the search itself, you should be able to iteratively refine your search to adjust it to find what you want. That is, you can just delete the results and go back to the tab with the advanced search page open in it and change search parameters and re-search again in another new tab.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:33 pm 
Curator
Curator

Please contact me if this is not clear enough or there are problems so I can correct or clarify this.

Ted