Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post Reply
DaveMars
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by DaveMars »

kroeran wrote: For example, hand wringing about a morning cup of coffee, but not meditating, might be putting the cart before the horse. Not sure.

I suggest reading Joel Fuhrman for guidance on nutritional intensity, which points to veganism.
LOL. Meat is a cakewalk compared to sugar. And yeah, veganism is the right way, and it's obvious, but it aint easy coming off the American Diet. It feels like a power curve - the initial steps are pretty easy, but it gets harder the more you approach the end. Asymptotic.

I don't grok how health concerns are "selfish" if by "selfish" you mean something like petty and uncompassionate, self-focused rather than other-focused. You have to put on your own oxygen mask first. non? If I get obese and diabetic then I become a "load" on others, do I not? Maybe I misunderstood the tone of voice or something.

As for meditation - it's now my favorite refuge, and I am a two or three times a day guy. Also, I am never, ever "bored." If I have twenty minutes to wait for something - I can use that time well and enjoy it. Bonus points!

Thanks for the suggestion.
"sub specie aeternitatis"
Dave
User avatar
kroeran
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 3502
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 pm
Location: Florario/Ontorida
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by kroeran »

DaveMars wrote:
kroeran wrote:
I don't grok how health concerns are "selfish" if by "selfish" you mean something like petty and uncompassionate, self-focused rather than other-focused. You have to put on your own oxygen mask first. non? If I get obese and diabetic then I become a "load" on others, do I not? Maybe I misunderstood the tone of voice or something.

.
sure, you should read a dispassionate and technical/analytical tone.

The intent for personal health may be about other, like, wanting to be around to keep your wife company in old age, or not be a burden, but normally, it is part of the selfish internal feedback loop of personal self interest.

Not taking care of yourself is just plain ignorant...but has little to do with becoming love. Discipline, the capacity to translate intent into decision and action, is a good part of the toolkit of translating loving intent into action, but this is indirect as well.

So, the overweight guy who is drifting into diabetes, maybe smokes, but who has a pure and purifying heart, who lifts everyone up who interacts with him, is taking care of essential eternal business.

With food and vice, he should remove ego, fear and guilt, try hard, be easy on himself, and if he dies prematurely, or ages somewhat uncomfortably, this is his FWAUian temporal business.

With this more relaxed attitude, one should have more actual energy to improve diet, with lightness and happiness, no guilt, fear or ego.

And on some level, there is something very pure about someone who is love and becoming love, and does not invest a lot of energy worrying about their health or image.

My dad was always shocked at the sight of a smoking Catholic Priest, which would be an unthinkable perplexing Koan for a Bretheren. He himself was excommunicated in front of the village, within the temple, for smoking tobacco.

It took many years for me to one day understand the significance and meaning of the smoking, overweight, alcoholic Priest, and the Catholic preoccupation with the one thing that really matters.

with health we become more effective love entities, but effectiveness is not the highest thing.
Does this PMR make my butt look big?
User avatar
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 6564
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Sainbury »

Psychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen who studies brains with brain scans. The brain scans correlate to lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y76VEKch39U
Thomas
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Thomas »

Hi guys,
I like to present some other views on sugar and coffee.
I did cut out a lot of things from my diet believing that I did the right thing. No, coffee, no sugar, Little salt, lots of water drinking, no milk Products, etc. Well, after one years my body collapsed. After Reading papers from scientist Ray Peat I came to other conclusions for my Life. Today i am feeling much much better having lots of sugar, fructose, coffee, salt, eggs etc. :-)

Here is some Reading for the interested:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/sugar-issues.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/gl ... etes.shtml

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml

cheers
thomas
Last edited by Thomas on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 6564
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Sainbury »

I'm not sure who this blogger is but there aren't any medical or research credentials listed. There are lots of credible articles about the terrible effects of refined sugar. Of course your body needs some sugar. But you get plenty of fructose if you eat fruit.

Of course you are a Free-Will Awareness Unit and you can eat anything you want.

For a doctor's perspective watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
Thomas
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Thomas »

Sainbury wrote:I'm not sure who this blogger is but there aren't any medical or research credentials listed. There are lots of credible articles about the terrible effects of refined sugar. Of course your body needs some sugar. But you get plenty of fructose if you eat fruit.

Of course you are a Free-Will Awareness Unit and you can eat anything you want.

For a doctor's perspective watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Ray Peat has a Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Oregon, with specialization in physiology. The schools he has taught at include: the University of Oregon, Urbana College, Montana State University, National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Universidad Veracruzana, the Universidad Autonoma del Estado de Mexico, and Blake College. He also conducts private nutritional counseling.

He is about 78 years old and while working as a scientist he looked into the process of metabolism, aging and sickness.

cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 6564
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Sainbury »

OK, thanks for the clarification. I didn't have the time to do much more than skim the blogs. It seems to me that he is talking about fructose and not refined sugar.

What we base the optimum diet here is to optimize your metabolism for better clarity of consciousness. Tom stays on a very pure diet and he has experimented with different substances and reported back the effects. For him, and for most of us here that have tried the same thing, refined sugar, sugar substitutes, alcohol, and caffeine are all detrimental to mental clarity and the ability to access NPMR. Tom also no longer eats any animal products. There is a thread talking about this if you do a search for Tom's Diet.
Thomas
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Thomas »

Sainbury wrote:OK, thanks for the clarification. I didn't have the time to do much more than skim the blogs. It seems to me that he is talking about fructose and not refined sugar.

What we base the optimum diet here is to optimize your metabolism for better clarity of consciousness. Tom stays on a very pure diet and he has experimented with different substances and reported back the effects. For him, and for most of us here that have tried the same thing, refined sugar, sugar substitutes, alcohol, and caffeine are all detrimental to mental clarity and the ability to access NPMR. Tom also no longer eats any animal products. There is a thread talking about this if you do a search for Tom's Diet.

Refined table sugar is a disaccharide it contains 50 percent fructose and 50 percent glucose.
Off course everyone should do what they want and feel good with but I dont believe that one can optimise its metabolism without animal products like, butter, milk, eggs, or for the matter sugar. Its scientifically unsound. To break down nuts, grains, and greens for energy is not efficent att all. Lots of veggies dont give much energy they consist mainly of some vitamins, minerals and lots of fibers and little carbs. Fibers we cant metabolise so they become food for the bacteria in your guts. They in turn produce endotoxins which will poision your body and give you brain fog.

The liver needs glucose to do its job cleaning the poisons out of your body and to change T4 to T3 hormons which are important thyroid hormones. With a sluggish production of Thyroid hormones you end up with a sluggish, slow and Cold metabolism. These people have often a low heart beat, low body heat, have brainfog and not much energy. I dont think that this is what you are after.

I dont want to start an argument with you but show you that there is tons of evidence too that one cant so easily paint the devil on the wall. What works for Tom might work only for him. That is if it works for him in the long run. The cells which make up our body need lots of energy to make a living and to work hard. If we starve them or if we give them mediocre material to work with they cant make a good job in keeping us fresh and alive.

In short. A sluggish metabolism makes you age quicker, sicker and gives a shorter Life expectency.
I choose to eat for heat and use sugar, only saturated fats, lots of salt, highly nutritions animal Products like milk and eggs, cheese, liver etc. Fruits are a great source, like Orange juice. And off course coffee is a great to drink.

It would be intersting to read if Tom has some physiological proof of his hypotesis. Until I can see that I dont believe that a vegan could optimise his metabolism. What I have come across are several people who have destreut their health because of a vegan lifestyle.

Its a long uphill battle to come back if one messes up his bodys balance. For me it took over 3 years and I am still not hundered percent ok.

Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator
Posts: 11788
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:16 pm
Location: Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Ted Vollers »

Thomas,

Tom Campbell is far from being the only one around eating and promoting a meat and animal products free diet. They are not keeling over in the streets from this diet. You may be a true believer in what you are now eating as THE diet for humanity. But that does not make it so.

Ted
Thomas
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Thomas »

Ted Vollers wrote:Thomas,

Tom Campbell is far from being the only one around eating and promoting a meat and animal products free diet. They are not keeling over in the streets from this diet. You may be a true believer in what you are now eating as THE diet for humanity. But that does not make it so.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Ted I agree that a diet is something personal. And believe me I am far from being intersted in pushing my "believes" onto anyone. There is no point in it!
But I felt I had too react when I smelled absolute statements here in the Thread not being callanged. Read my letters again and you will find that I dont prosylyte other people to be meat eaters, I only showed another perspektive of the subject discussed here.

On the other hand here is a quote which smells food religion and has the sound of "THE diet of humanity".

Its wirred that you failed to react to this absolute statement of faith.

here is the quote:

What we base the optimum diet here is to optimize your metabolism for better clarity of consciousness.

Where is the proof that one opitimises its metabolism with a vegan diet? And where is the proof that one betters his clarity of consciousness not eating sugar, coffee, or eating meat?

For me it sounds very exclusive and dualistic. The entire "we here" statement is creepy and smells off a blue eyed and blond elite.

Maybe sugar eating meateaters are equally consciouss? The thing here is that she didnt write "in my opinion". She makes absolute statements off faith without proof to her theori. The worst thing is that she highjacked the entire forum and says: We here do it like this......

Is it possible that you didnt notice these absolute statements because you have become one of the "we here" group? If so, you lost being open and skeptical at the same time. I would love to see an open, friendly, religious and believe free discussion about this subject. This only is possible if people here dont have an agenda to push and stop proselyting, dividing the members of this forum into groups.

Cheers
Thomas
User avatar
Lena
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Lena »

From my personal experience sugar, salt and coffee raise uric acid level, and uric acid creates pain in my muscles and joints. I loved sweet food and could not imagine my day without a cup or two of coffee. For years I enjoyed all this, but when I had to choose between taking pain pills or give up food, that I love, then food did stop being a priority. No sweets or coffee can be found in my house, salt seats on my kitchen counter, but I use it very sparingly, almost none, and I have no muscle or joint pain.

A couple years ago I made an experiment. Our supermarket has a coffee stand, where you can get a free very small cup of coffee. Each time, once a week, I would shop there and have this small cup of coffee. In eight months my muscles and joints were aching, and it took me about six months to become pain free again.

Sugar or sweets make me ache even faster. When you are young and have good health many things seems cannot affect your wellbeing. A problem is sugar, coffee, white flour and etc. stimulate production of uric acid in your body. When you are young, kidneys are able remove excess of uric acid and you feel great. Uric acid crystals deposit on joints and blood delivers uric acid to all body organs and muscles. If kidney cannot flush out excess of uric acid, it causes pain and discomfort. Uric acid can be a precursor of heart attack, gout, joint and muscles pain. If you have accumulated too much uric acid it become almost impossible to remove it from body tissues.

Lena
'Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance.' Confucius.
User avatar
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 6564
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Sainbury »

Thomas, what we say here is, "The proof is in the pudding." Those of us that have tried this diet have seen drastic changes in the clarity of our consciousnesses. Members are always asking how they can have better access to NPMR. Having a clean diet is one of the best ways.

If what you are doing is working for you, then by all means, you should keep doing it.

If you are interested, here is a video where Tom talks about sugar:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e082jsIe0Ak
Thomas
Normal User
Normal User
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Thomas »

Lena wrote:From my personal experience sugar, salt and coffee raise uric acid level, and uric acid creates pain in my muscles and joints. I loved sweet food and could not imagine my day without a cup or two of coffee. For years I enjoyed all this, but when I had to choose between taking pain pills or give up food, that I love, then food did stop being a priority. No sweets or coffee can be found in my house, salt seats on my kitchen counter, but I use it very sparingly, almost none, and I have no muscle or joint pain.

A couple years ago I made an experiment. Our supermarket has a coffee stand, where you can get a free very small cup of coffee. Each time, once a week, I would shop there and have this small cup of coffee. In eight months my muscles and joints were aching, and it took me about six months to become pain free again.

Sugar or sweets make me ache even faster. When you are young and have good health many things seems cannot affect your wellbeing. A problem is sugar, coffee, white flour and etc. stimulate production of uric acid in your body. When you are young, kidneys are able remove excess of uric acid and you feel great. Uric acid crystals deposit on joints and blood delivers uric acid to all body organs and muscles. If kidney cannot flush out excess of uric acid, it causes pain and discomfort. Uric acid can be a precursor of heart attack, gout, joint and muscles pain. If you have accumulated too much uric acid it become almost impossible to remove it from body tissues.

Lena

Hi Lena, let me first say that I am happy that you found a way out of pain and suffering. That is often a very difficult thing to achive. If you hold on not eating sugar, coffe and salt I very much respect.

Thats said I like to show some more info on uric acid.

J. W. Davis, et al., 1996, found that high uric acid levels seem to protect against the development of Parkinson’s disease. They ascribed this effect to uric acid’s antioxidant function. Coffee drinking, which lowers uric acid levels, nevertheless appeared to be much more strongly protective against Parkinson’s disease than uric acid.

Possibly more important than coffee’s ability to protect the health is the way it does it. The studies that have tried to gather evidence to show that coffee is harmful, and found the opposite, have provided insight into several diseases. For example, coffee’s effects on serotonin are very similar to carbon dioxide’s, and the thyroid hormone’s. Noticing that coffee drinking is associated with a low incidence of Parkinson’s disease could focus attention on the ways that thyroid and carbon dioxide and serotonin, estrogen, mast cells, histamine and blood clotting interact to produce nerve cell death.


all the best to you
Thomas

Referens to the reverse effect off coffe on uric acid:

Br J Nutr 1999 Aug;82(2):125-30. Inverse association between coffee drinking and serum uric acid concentrations in middle-aged Japanese males. Kiyohara C, Kono S, Honjo S, Todoroki I, Sakurai Y, Nishiwaki M, Hamada H, Nishikawa H, Koga H, Ogawa S, Nakagawa K
Keith at MBT Events
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:19 am
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup/Grains

Post by Keith at MBT Events »

Eliminating sugar was the first step to losing at this point 75 pounds, in addition to the benefits of greater clarity, but I must add that the significant difference in health came from eliminating grains. The book William Davis wrote called Wheat Belly really struck a note with me.

The grains we eat today are not the same grains originally cultivated. They have been hybridized. Even the organic ones, even the "healthy" whole wheat. Tests showed there was a greater blood sugar spike from a slice of whole wheat bread than from a candy bar. The hybridized wheat triggers a need for more and more.

There is grain called einkorn, grown in parts of Italy and France, that is the original grain free from hybridization.

Bread goods can be made from ground flaxseed, almond flour, and coconut flour.

Will post a recipe soon.

Donna
"First of all, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
User avatar
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster
Posts: 6564
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Ocala, FL
Contact:

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Sainbury »

I agree Donna. I can't control my weight at all if I eat grains. That was as hard for me to give up as sugar because I LOVE bread. I can eat a little cut stem oat meal in the winter but that's about all I include in my diet.
Post Reply

Return to “How MBT affected me”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest