Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Keith at MBT Events
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Sugar and High Fructose Corn Syrup

Post by Keith at MBT Events »

Here is a recipe that will bring back baked goods for you.

1/4 cup ground flaxseed or 1/8 almond meal 1/8 ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1-2 tsps grapeseed oil
1 egg
1/2 tsp cinnamon, or any alcohol free,sugar free flavor or spice, orange zest
pinch of stevia (optional)
1 tsp water or juice

Mix together well in a large cafe au lait type coffee cup and microwave 60 seconds!
The fiber in the flaxseed cancels out the carbs and you have 1 net carb

Donna
"First of all, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
kroeran
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kroeran »

just to add to motivation, and hopefully not fear, throw in possible acrylamide concerns from baking/roasting grains, including coffee, brown.
Does this PMR make my butt look big?
kokoro

Post by kokoro »

Hey guys

Does anyone use rice malt syrup?

Is it okay to use?

Thanks
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Sainbury »

Tom has tried a lot of things to see how they affect him as he is very sensitive to anything that interferes with his ability to access other data streams. The only thing that he has found not to interfere is barley malt and some cane juice. He didn't say what cane juice.

There is some discussion on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3032&hilit=barly+malt&start=0
dinah
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by dinah »

High fructose was thought to be good because fruits have fructose.

But fructose in fruits are in small quantity, and accompanied by fiber.

High fructose is kept in the liver and then converted in fat.
Keith at MBT Events
Power Poster
Power Poster

rice syrup, barley malt, cane juice, are healthier but still have a downside to the metabolism if you trying to cut down on carbs and not store fat. grain also has this effect
high fructose corn syrup collects in the liver,true
"First of all, let me make one thing perfectly clear. I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
kroeran
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kroeran »

if memory serves, somewhere Tom suggested a way to test the interference issue on our own. Something involving ingesting then shaking your head around or something?
Does this PMR make my butt look big?
Keith at MBT Events
Power Poster
Power Poster

I do remember that-let me look it up..
RBM
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RBM »

Sainbury wrote:SLiVeR - You sound like you have a good handle on your diet. I did find a good soy protein powder at the Vitamin Shoppe called 100% Soy Protein. I can't eat whey protein. I'm not sure why - I just can't digest it.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/b ... id=VS-1614 Or you may have a store in your town.
I picked up the soy protein at the local store in my area. I'm experimenting with what to mix it with. I started with orange juice as I had some on hand for my baking needs, but that's more sugar than I want to consume, daily.

I've also thought about mixing it into one of my no sugar muffin recipes. I will try that, as soon as I finish another similar product in my cupboard.

Has anyone integrated this product successfully into their diet ?
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Sainbury »

I use soy protein in a fruit/veggie shake almost every morning. I use "No Sugar Added" Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice. It seems to have the least amount of sugar of any of the juices I looked at. Then I buy a big bag of frozen mixed fruit from Sam's Club to add plus any greens I have available.

You have to check the soy protein powder and make sure it doesn't have sugar either. I get mine from Vitamin Shoppe, (their brand.)
RBM
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by RBM »

Sainbury wrote:I use soy protein in a fruit/veggie shake almost every morning. I use "No Sugar Added" Ocean Spray white grapefruit juice. It seems to have the least amount of sugar of any of the juices I looked at. Then I buy a big bag of frozen mixed fruit from Sam's Club to add plus any greens I have available.

You have to check the soy protein powder and make sure it doesn't have sugar either. I get mine from Vitamin Shoppe, (their brand.)

Thanks for the tips, Sainbury. The soy protein I purchased is from the link you posted, - 0 g sugar.

I've done some 'due diligence' looking for no or low sugar. Your suggestion is the lowest at 17 g. I've yet seen.
Brubblon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Brubblon »

I've got a question regarding a (refined) sugar-free diet and I'm not sure if I should create a new thread for this.
I know this is not a medical advice board and it is not wise to take advice from the internet anyway. This is, however, the only board I know of where other people are also vehemently avoiding refined sugar. I hope that someone can point me towards the right direction or tell me something from their own experience.

Right now I am avoiding refined sugars for about 2 years and have been successful most of the time. The rest of my diet follows Dr. Fuhrmans findings from his book "Eat to Live". I get my sugars from eating a few fruits daily. Because of my dietary changes over the years and a shift toward veganism, I wanted to get my blood checked by a physician. The results came back and everything looked fine except for my blood sugar levels. The doc said they are way below "normal".

60.000 - 100.0 mg/dl is regarded as normal.
My results were 35 mg/dl.

My physician asked me if I have symptoms of dizziness, being tired, uncontrolled sweating, blurry vision etc.
I have non of those. I'm active, do sports, feel fine. I am okay. I haven't been sick in a long time. She recommended that I eat more sweets if I feel like I'm fainting (I don't) and I should not worry about it too much because I look healthy to her.

Question: Could it be, that my sugar levels are the "real" normal? I guess I was fairly successful in avoiding sweets in the past months and I don't think that I have symptoms that are connected to my blood sugar levels. Sadly, I couldn't find much information on the web.
On this board, I merely found this quote:
Montana wrote:Blood sugar-level theory of medical science is totally wrong and based on wrong assumptions. It is the adaptability of
the body that matters. Body can adapt, if mind accepts. Thousands of Africans in forests have 26% glucose or blood
sugar level. They are surviving. Can medical science explain this?
(thread)

I could not find more about this on google.
For now, I am planning on keeping my blood sugar in view and I will listen to my bodies needs carefully. My physician is informed about this, obviously.

Anyway, even if nobody knows anything, hopefully somebody else can take something away from this.

Cheers!
Ted Vollers
Curator
Curator

Post by Ted Vollers »

I looked up this doctor Thurman's website. Unfortunately you can find nothing out there unless it is how to buy his other newer books and how wonderful he and the books are. I suggest that you look up hypoglycemia symptoms and see if you have any of them. If not, then it is likely that your blood sugar is really not too low, at least not for your body, metabolism and diet. The single test you took could also be mistaken. If it is important enough to you, consider buying a blood sugar meter of the kind used by diabetics to check if their blood sugar is high. Then you can check this over time and see what is normal for you rather than rely on just one test point.

Ted
Keith at MBT Events
Power Poster
Power Poster

I know that Tom and Pamela have followed the Eat to Live diet in the past.

I think individuals vary and you should see what works for you. A recommendation by a Dr to eat "sweets" if you feel faint I myself wouldn't follow, perhaps an orange juice?

If you have been off sweets for two years, the shock of sugar might be overwhelming. But we never give medical advice here, just our own experience, you must test for yourself.

Are you avoiding hidden sugars? It's ubiquitous.

Tom is featured in a documentary called "That Sugar Film" soon to be in the US. See thread here for the trailer.
Brubblon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Brubblon »

Ted,

I think I am actually going to buy a blood sugar meter. They're not expensive.
I don't feel perfectly healthy and I guess there will always be something. But I feel better than I used to and I'm pretty sure that those problems that I do have are not blood sugar related. But who knows? I'll be gathering more data with my blood meter soon. Maybe it was a glitch. Thanks for the tip, Ted.

Keith,

I actually found the book on this board if I remember correctly.

I don't think I am eating to many hidden sugars. I've been fairly observant and double checking all my foods. I rarely feel obligated to eat a piece of cake, pasta or rice. Sometimes the situation makes it easier to just eat it but that does not happen too often.
I am willing to experiment with my diet. This blood sugar thing on the other hand is a bit risky to experiment with. I don't want to end up with consequential damages to my organs. I will be playing it safe and alter my diet in small steps. I won't take medical advice from here without talking to my physician. I suspect, however, that the typical physician does not know much about the effects of sugar on consciousness etc. I would look foolish explaining it to them.

I am looking forward watching that movie, although Tom has certainly covered almost everything we need to know about this subject already. Thank you Keith.

Return to “How MBT affected me”