Hello everyone

Vladimir Horvat

Hello everyone

Post by Vladimir Horvat »

My name is Vladimir and i am from Serbia. I don't communicate through forums very often so this feels kinda awkward for me but here it goes. I was introduced to Toms work around 2008 through the youtube lecture "Physics Metaphysics and the nature of Consciousness". Since then i have read the book a couple of times (2009;2012), and watched pretty much all of the lectures and workshops available on the internet (some multiple times), all the while trying to test out the model in my own experience. Needless to say i found it to be quite beneficial and one of the strongest positive influences so far. I'm 28 years old, formally educated as a psychologist and still in training to become counselor.

Most of the theory felt very natural to apply (like meditation, considering my intent etc), so id like to focus on one of things I was having difficulties with. I was trying to meditate using the binaural beets and it wasn't working out for me at all. Fiddling with the frequencies or trying to ramp myself down wasn't giving results either, my experience was ranging from indifference to discomfort. This led me to abandon experimentation on it, since I was pursuing other meditation techniques which seemed to come more naturally to me. Furthermore, the software i had found was a bit confusing for me so i let it be. For quite some time i forgot all about the beats until one day i stumbled upon a website with prerecorded one hour beats with various baseline and beat frequencies so i decided to give it a go one more time. Upon opening the delta wave section i noticed that they were offering beats ranging from 0.5Hz to 4Hz and immediately realized that i had never gone lower than 3.5. The 0.5Hz frequency felt a bit slow but much more natural than any i had previously tried. Next i tried 1Hz and I found it to be very pleasant and relaxing. Maybe this experience could help someone who is having difficulty in using this tool.

I hope i have found the right place on the forum to introduce myself,
Love,
Vladimir
Sainbury
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Sainbury »

Hi, and welcome Vladimir. It sounds like you have experimented and found something that works for you. Here is something about binaural beats from Tom:

Unity North Atlanta Panel Discussion: Beyond the Physical Documentary Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQVbL5E6qU

1:24:22
How useful it (binaural beats) will be to you probably depends more on you than on the something new thing you might try. In other words, you bring more to the table, to your eventual success with it, than the actual technology itself. It's not that the technology is going to drive you into one state or another; as much as you are going to cooperate with the technology, and let it take you someplace. So, there's a big, personal, component to your experience. You want to know what you can do to give yourself the greatest probability for success and it has more to do with you than the technology.

Some technologies might just resonate with you, and boy are they good, and they may leave somebody else totally cold. This idea did it work for you, well, that might be helpful, but it might not either. I would say the active ingredient in this is the binaural beat; the fundamental active ingredient is the binaural beat. The rest of it tends to be added things. Some of these added things are valuable, but some are not. They tend to be more individual.

Later: 1:27:41

And you can determine what works for you best. I suggest that you experiment with it because it's individual. The things you have to pick are a base frequency; a 100 to 104, or a 1000-1004; it doesn't matter. It could be 10,000 - 10,004. It makes little difference because what you are doing is trying to get into that theta, that hypnogic state just before sleep, (theta,) and make both of your hemispheres synchronize at this theta state.

So find a base frequency that you like; that feels good; that sort of resonates. Try different frequencies. I've found that most males prefer a lower frequency - a 100 Hz is good one. That's a low kind of sound. Ladies like something a little higher than that - something more like 500. Some people like some higher than that more like 5,000. It doesn't matter. But you take one frequency as the base say 500 and the other one is 504 or a 1000 and a 1004 or a 100 and 104. So that's how you pick your base frequencies. That will give you your 4 Hz, and to be honest it's not exactly 4; you might get about a 3.875, but 4 is close enough.

So now what do you do? If you're just beginning, just hitting you with this 4 Hz may be a little disconcerting. You may never regain your balance. Some people will start stepping it down. So they'll take a beat of say 100 and a 110. That will be a 10 beat so that will make an alpha state - a more relaxed state, and they'll play that for two minutes. And then they'll switch it after two or three minutes to 100 to a 107. You see what I mean? They'll step it down until the last one will be the 100 to a 104. And then they'll leave that on for a half an hour, forty five minutes, and then they'll start to step up. They'll go back to the 100-107; 100-110, and so on; step you back up into the awake state. That way it takes you from beta, which is about 20, so you could start at 100 to 120; then all the way down to the theta state, and then all the way back up.

The more experienced you get those ramps up and down just get in the way. And then you'll just drop the ramp. You'll just start off and it won't make any difference. Then, after awhile you'll just drop the binaural beat at all because that won't make any difference either. They're all just tools that you're learning; like training wheels on a bike. They help the beginner get to that focused spot. Once you've been to that focused spot and back a hundred times, it's easier to get there again on your own without the training wheels. So, I'd say eventually you have to know when to let go and just do it on your own.

The same with meditation; start with meditation, eventually you outgrow meditation. You don't need meditation. You don't need your mantra; you don't need to relax; you don't need to do anything. You can be standing on one foot in the back of a bus, and you can go to another reality frame - just like that. You can heal, or you can go to the point consciousness state and it doesn't really matter whether the incense is burning, whether or not the room is quiet, or whether you've relaxed your feet first; it just doesn't matter anymore. So these are all tools that help beginners start.

So, that's what I'd suggest. Pick a frequency. Now if it doesn't work, I'd suggest try it at least three months before you change it. You won't know any sooner than three months whether the sound works for you or not. If you dial up a sound and you’ve made one, and you’ve got your mp3, and you listen to it and you say, “Ah, that didn’t do anything for me.” You try a different one, “Ah, that didn’t do anything for me.” You’re wasting your time. You can’t tell the first time you listen to it. It’s a slow process. Listen to it for three months then change it. Say, “I’m going to make my ramp faster. I’m going to go 3.875 this time. I’m going to make that a little longer. I’m going to do that for an hour. I’m going to go shorter. I’ll change it a little bit. I’ll move my base frequency. That 100 was too low. That felt kind of growly to me. I want to up it maybe 800 sounds good.” Do it at 800; work with that for three months.

So you see now if we keep doing this it’s going to take a long time, but in two, three, or four years you will really have something that works for you really, really well; probably better than anything that you could go out and commercially buy because it is custom fit to you. That’s the good news. The bad news is that by the time that you get there – you’re a different person. You either don’t need it, or you need to start over, because you’ve changed and the things that used to resonate with you aren’t the same anymore. So this is a continuing learning process
Vladimir Horvat

Re: Hello everyone

Post by Vladimir Horvat »

Thanks for your reply it is quite informative.

I have already tried most of the things you are suggesting regarding the beats such as ramping myself down, changing the frequencies etc... My experience with the ramps was such that i found the process slow and uncomfortable and it seems to be the case that i am able to reach the 4Hz frequency range much more easily without the aid of the beats. Furthermore it looks to me now that an even lower frequency is more suitable as an aid to meditation in my case and i find that around 1Hz feels much more comfortable. I was wondering if someone else had had a similar experience, and whether it is possibly a sign that i needn't be using them at all?

Return to “How MBT affected me”