Return Home
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:10 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Sorry for the intrusion but I just wanted to point out that I remembered reading the term IUOC in the book before. It just isn't an acronym. For example, in book 1, section 2, chapter 26, near the top of page 214 there is this:

"Eventually, something analogous to cell specialization evolves within AUO to create internal dimensions that support various realities populated by individuated units of consciousness." Adrian
Hi Adrian, and welcome to the forum. Doing a search in the online book, I also found a few references to individuated units of consciousness. I guess Tom didn't put it into an acronym until he started replying on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:41 pm 
Curator
Curator

Thanks for looking that up and for your memory. I searched for IUOC only.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:48 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

@Ted: You're welcome. It was an intuitive feeling I suddenly had, like a little "itch" inside my brain that was nagging me, forcing me to open the book and flip however many pages until I saw what I was looking for. It's funny how that happens. It's funny how life happens, but a tear seems to fall every time I laugh as that same itch keeps pulling me in directions that are so hard to understand. The only real and semi-consistent thing I seem to know is that itch, randomly trying to tell me I should do something even if most of the time I can't comprehend what it is saying. I don't think I quite grasp its method of communication yet, but I never stopped watching for it. All while everything else is just passing by. It has been a long road into the unknown and yet I feel as though I haven't moved at all.

@Sainbury: Thanks, the initial feeling is that it feels good to be here. Not sure why it took me so long to find my-big-toe. Considering who I am it seems to be somewhere I'd like to hang out whenever possible.

Personally I feel like I (or my FWAU?) am currently being blocked or inhibited for some reason. I've had some pretty amazing experiences since I was a child but at the same time I feel as though I've been held back many times. It must be for a reason so I just let it be. There is this wall and I keep staring at it until something happens. When suddenly there will be hole, or even a large hole in the wall right in front of me. Then I'll catch a small glimpse of something incredible, maybe even for a decent amount of time, but then the hole will close and then weeks, months, or years will go by as I keep waiting, staring at the wall again. After too much time goes by I start to wonder if it happened or if anything is ever really happening. I may start to forget some of the memories but the feeling seems to remain.

Now that I think about it, I don't feel like I would need to know how advanced my QoC may or may not be, or what the IUOC may be up to (I'm very new to these descriptions and acronyms so you'll have to be gentle). I've never thought to ask that question. If I am meant to know, I'm sure it would be revealed to me in some way eventually even if I don't ask. Although, it's hard to not become eager to learn more and have so many more questions after you've been shown something that is indescribable, whether it's OOB, an LD or something like that. I don't have that many experiences, but when they do happen it is quite a positive jolt, sometime literally. It's also hard not to feel alienated because it is still so difficult to talk to anyone about it. I've put myself out on a limb countless times, especially early on when I was assuming that most people might've had a similar experience or at least were curious about life in general. I was wrong and I still don't see why most people have a problem. It seemed to show they were not really interested to see anything outside of the walls of their cell. These days it's gotten to the point where it appears as though the zombie apocalypse happened a long time ago, but I also know there are open and understanding individuals somewhere out there. Ultimately our spoken languages seem to only allow us to speak in metaphors anyway, especially when you realize that everyone internally interprets or imagines most things in a different way. That is probably what has always made me feel I don't need to believe anything I read or am told. Belief always seemed unnecessary and most of the time a less safer way to go. I knew that I can only experience something and learn from the experience. Actually for this reason, it felt a little slow for me to get through Tom's first book. He kept telling me the one thing that I fully knew already. At the same time I can understand why he would want to keep repeating that idea. Well, here I am rambling on about all this, but I suppose I am in the right company. Sorry, I kind of jumped in and dumped all this nonsense here. It wasn't my intention to veer off.

Adrian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Adrian, it may be that you are being shut out of some experiences because your guides do not want you to get too focused on this aspect of your life. You do the most learning, and evolving, when you are out interacting with other people.

So, I guess, that I would also caution you not to waste too much time staring at walls. Your mind can make up a lot of stuff, and it takes a lot of experiences to know if anything is fundamental, or if it is all made up by you.

And remember, all the data you get is interpreted through your filter of beliefs, fears, experiences, ego, etc.

As for Tom's book, most of us here have read it over and over - finding new things in each reading. Have you read the whole thing, or just Book 1?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:02 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Sainbury: Thanks for the advice. You're right about going out and interacting with people. That is something I need to practice more. Most of the time I don't feel like being social. Sometimes I dread it but other times I enjoy it. The problem is the way a lot of people act and talk can make me depressed. At least I'm trying to think more about my intent as I do and say things. I've never thought about that as much before, but it's come more to the front of my mind.

You're right, staring at walls sounds like a waste of time, although I was figuratively speaking about meditation. I don't think I want to stop meditating because it is fulfilling in so many ways. It's my break from the daily grind and the only time I can stop my thoughts, listen and stare into the nothingness. I try to do it a couple times a day when possible. It's true I am waiting while meditating, but it's more like a way for me to force my mind to stay silent. I could also say I am stopping. If I didn't stop or wait, my mind may start wondering, make me lose focus and fall asleep. Most of the time I'd rather be silent than repeat a meaningless phrase. It's similar to when I used to practice piano for hours every day. After I would memorize some music, I would try to stop my mind and listen while my hands felt and played the music. I'm also not really expecting anything because I wouldn't know what to expect. It's always different. Like, on occasion I think I've found myself in the void, (point of consciousness?) quite a few times because it seems to be very similar to what I've heard or read about. Sometimes it's accompanied or close to the vibrations or frequency. The first time I saw it when I was young, it scared me because I thought I died. There was no body. Just blackness. Other times after that I tried not to think much about what was happening. About a year ago when I seemed to be out in the void, I called out, "Robert Monroe" to see if I would hear anything back. I was a little startled when I heard a thick low electronic sounding voice say "Adrian" right before I started fading back to my bed. I don't know what it was. Maybe it was just me. I know my mind can, and will, make up a lot of the things I see and hear. I also understand that what I think is the void may not be the void, even though it may seem like it. Maybe it's just a dark lucid dream where anything seems to be possible. Although I also noticed that this void seems to be where I am at before I enter a lucid dream and after I leave a lucid dream.

If I have any beliefs they are well hidden somewhere deep. I am not aware of them, unless I am avoiding them. I am aware of some fears, but they seem to come and go depending on my state of mind. I don't know why the fears can change like that. Does that mean I am not always myself or sometimes I am aware of a part of myself that doesn't have the same fears?

When I first started having experiences a long time ago and started wondering why no one else knew anything about it I decided to go out and get a book. My first book was Journeys Out of the Body. That book made me think that at least I wasn't nuts. Later on I got Far Journeys and Ultimate Journey. I got a lot of others too. It was a while ago but I've read Robert's books many times. It was more recently when I came across one of Toms videos and then other videos where he was speaking at the Monroe Institute. That's when I decided I should get Toms trilogy book. It was interesting to find out that Tom was there with Robert and they were working together. I read the first book and I am currently somewhere in the second book. For some reason I don't seem to be in a huge hurry and I am rereading lots of pages. There's so much information. It's obviously quite a bit more complex than the other books. After I read it slowly the first time, I'll probably go through it again a little faster.

Adrian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:16 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

@slipperysky

Hi Adrian. I enjoyed reading your post, and I actually do identify with a lot of your thought process and experiences. I too did experience OBE early on (early 20s). I had a lot of experience with what I also guess was the void (just floating around in pitch darkness) through meditation I went through while doing taekwon do. At that stage I had never thought or heard about OBEs. Bobs book appeared magically, I cannot remember how I got hold of it, and this new concept came with it. Bob spoke of sensations I had already felt in meditation, and it was so spot on, that it did a lot of the verification process for me just reading it like that. I did get to experience OBE, but fear and a lot of other things came with it.

Past 15 years I also have felt shut off from something within me. It might be by design to learn some aspects of life, as Sainbury pointed out, but also contemplate the idea of what fears fuel this idea of being shut of, or reduces it somehow. To me, getting a lot of emotional damage through "bad" parenting/upbringing, I have always had a sensation of being both a failure, unworthy of good things (unworthy of exploring the larger consciousness system), but this was only born here in this PMR and acts more as temporary damage. I am not saying this goes for you, but sometimes things born in this PMR only, might reduce our ability to explore more freely. This was part of what steered me personally away from exploring OBEs, though I am still not sure if it also was by design. I could've been. Logically I personally see this sort of upbringing as a good thing to learn behavior, and there are more on the forum with experiences far worse than mine that comes out the other end with something positive and a strong idea of reality in the bigger picture.

Again, it might not be important, but I wanted to add it since I did, I believe, waste a few years on these ideas born here in this PMR, which could have been used to rather "feel the love" i usually feel for all things and staying more focused on NPMR exploration. But again, both things can be good.

Thanks again for your interesting post.

I want to add a question to Sainbury, or anyone else who remember if Tom has spoken more about the idea of "focus" in relation to something you are doing, and the importance (or if its not important)of it. Slipperysky, you mentioned playing piano for hours, and I have always seen this acts as something good. The idea of training your mind to be committed and focused on a task over a long timespan (unless OCD is involved). To me this has always seemed as something just as important as growing up. Somehow they are to me related, but its not necessarily focused on interaction with others. But I can't remember if Tom has put any emphasize on this or not, beside explaining how he first felt math was hard, until he started to use the "right side of his brain" to solve the task, and how he could easily debug code by turning off the intellect. But I have always found something important in these things, but I'm not quite sure if they are.

I hope it's alright that I put this question in this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:54 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Focus can be a useful tool. You need focused Intent to modify the Probable Future Database. And it is very handy for tasks and other things in your life. It isn't so good if you are using some kind of focus to spend hours opting out of your life. The real growth comes from interacting with other beings in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:48 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

@KurtO: Thanks, that's good to hear. I didn't expect my words could mean that much to anyone.

I remember that it felt a little strange how the first book I picked out on OOB was Robert's book because I had no idea what I was supposed to be looking for at the time. I didn't know how important his books would become. Later on I did realize that I had previously read some other books that were probably inspiring some of the first experiences, but Robert's book was what connected my awareness to what was happening.

I see what you mean about being shut out. I think some of my internal and external reactions to certain elements in PMR might be creating blocks. Like, when I mess up in PMR, it's probably having having a negative effect on my consciousness, or holding it back from expanding further until I completely understand what happened, and I think this has to do with what Sainbury was saying. The benefit of going out and creating positive experiences with other beings is extremely helpful, especially if you are able to become aware of your intent and guide your actions. After I showed up here, some very important ideas seem to be starting to make a lot more sense. I'm already feeling positive results of my participation here and it wasn't something I was expecting.

Adrian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:05 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I think some of my internal and external reactions to certain elements in PMR might be creating blocks. Like, when I mess up in PMR, it's probably having having a negative effect on my consciousness, or holding it back from expanding further until I completely understand what happened, and I think this has to do with what Sainbury was saying. The benefit of going out and creating positive experiences with other beings is extremely helpful, especially if you are able to become aware of your intent and guide your actions. After I showed up here, some very important ideas seem to be starting to make a lot more sense. I'm already feeling positive results of my participation here and it wasn't something I was expecting.

Adrian
I also do believe Sainbury hit a spot there with you, though when you write "when I mess up it's probably having a negative effect on my consciousness". Be mindful of this way of thinking, if this negativity is just you feeling you should be better, and then "punishing" yourself because of it by limiting yourself. In other words, you are creating a belief system every time you mess up, but you really don't need to. Go out, mess up, but don't limit yourself because of it. That's sort of what Sainbury is saying between the lines. You interact, you mess up or you do well, and from this we learn.

If this is not for you, I know it sometimes is for others. So I just wanted to add it to the thread.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:45 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

@KurtO: You're right, that is a limiting belief. It would appear that I have posted more than one already while simultaneously saying I don't have any beliefs which is entertaining to me. Thanks for pointing that out. Although, the personal beliefs I've mentioned here should be easy for me to dismiss. I'm very skeptical of the way I think about myself and a lot of other things. Before too long I usually toss everything out because I'll realize that I don't actually know.

Back to IUOC, this was a fun page to read with the protocol metaphor on page 334:
https://books.google.com/books?id=RYHtB ... &q&f=false
Quote:
icip://RWW.individuated-consciousness.NPMR