Return Home
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:34 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:49 am 

Classically speaking Self-Realization is the realization that life is a virtual reality system and that your "true" nature is consciousness.

Another way to look at this is anything that can be observed CANNOT be you. You are the observer(consciousness) anything observed is simply an object but not You...so your body, your mind, your thoughts, emotions, bliss states, etc---is not you because they are objects of consciousness.

According to traditions such as Buddhism there is no self when you look for the source of consciousness there is no "I" upon this realization one attains Nirvana---end game---one returns to the big No Self

According to Vedanta everything is the Self and upon this realization small consciousness merges into big Consciousness and poof the end of individuality. The drop has merged into the universal ocean never to exist again as individuality.

I know Tom says that enlightenment never ends as it's a function of evolution but what about when the individual realizes that their true nature is pure consciousness, what then?

Another question. Tom mentions that consciousness evolves---consciousness is without qualities---my pure consciousness is not different then any other sentient being---yes our minds are different, there are many qualities that are different---the the subject is the same.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Classically speaking Self-Realization is the realization that life is a virtual reality system and that your "true" nature is consciousness.

Another way to look at this is anything that can be observed CANNOT be you. You are the observer(consciousness) anything observed is simply an object but not You...so your body, your mind, your thoughts, emotions, bliss states, etc---is not you because they are objects of consciousness.
It’s a reflection. You are the observer, observing the reflection. The reflection is the image of you, but not you. A convoluted way of saying what you see is a virtual reality. What is important to note is that the reflection isn’t you only because you have the potential to change, while the reflection does not. A convoluted way of saying evolution is the process.
Quote:
According to traditions such as Buddhism there is no self when you look for the source of consciousness there is no "I" upon this realization one attains Nirvana---end game---one returns to the big No Self
Not sure about this. When you merge with ‘All That Is’ it would seem that you would know yourself as such. You would know that you are everything. You would identify with everything. Your identity would be everything.
Quote:
According to Vedanta everything is the Self and upon this realization small consciousness merges into big Consciousness and poof the end of individuality. The drop has merged into the universal ocean never to exist again as individuality.
I would think it would only be the end of separation. Your identity would still be you, just encompassing everything.
Quote:
I know Tom says that enlightenment never ends as it's a function of evolution but what about when the individual realizes that their true nature is pure consciousness, what then?
I think that ‘what then’ is far too vast a question for now, but I think we’ll know when we get there.
Quote:
Another question. Tom mentions that consciousness evolves---consciousness is without qualities---my pure consciousness is not different then any other sentient being---yes our minds are different, there are many qualities that are different---the the subject is the same.
Seems like more of a statement than a question. There is only One pretending to play the role of many, at least, that is my understanding.