Return Home
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:32 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 23
 Post subject: Re: Moral Code Part II
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The way I take Moral Code I/II is to appreciate that it is "new art" (invention speak) for how to apply MBT to ethics, by a dude who had the unfair advantage of dinner table mentoring as well as having philosophy training, if memory serves.

And of course, I presume he has an NPMR resume. It would be odd to be Tom's son and not have this skillset.

It is a way of thinking, or the beginning of a way of thinking, rather than an edict or final answer.

I was thinking of Moral Code last night as we are now working through NetFlix's House of Cards.

Disappointingly, the main character is having an affair, sort of. What is however cool about it MBT wise, is that his wife is aware of it and he has her permission. She has a business meeting with an old flame, and he advises her on the sexiest dress to wear, and monitors the status of the relationship. "Sleeping here or sleeping there tonight"?

So what we have here is an open marriage with no deception or violation of decision space. Part of their ruleset, stated, is the either party can shut down the other's affair. Although its interesting philosophically, I still don't think its workable.

Then the most interesting part. He is being seduced by a machiavellian reporter at least half his age.

At a key point he says to her...

"You know older men use you and throw you away"
"you have done this before"

Of course, I am hoping the writer is going to have the lead character scold her for her intent and turn down the offer, like in American Beauty or Lost in Translation, but I am disappointed. Its one thing for two married people in open marriages to attempt such an arrangement, I am very skeptical that this is stable or good for all involved, when there is asymetry, with her so young and not yet in the protection of a life cycle contract.

What is interesting though is his disclosure, warning and respect for her decision space, very consistent with Moral Code.

Where I would lean ahead of Moral Code is the thought that it is not sufficient to respect someone's decision space and be non-deceptive, not make promises we cannot keep, and keep our promises, but further, we have to respect what is good for the other person beyond their own limited perception of what is good for them, or beyond what they are open to or want in the moment.

Econo-historical wise, House of Cards is the killer app of subscription online streaming, produced by NetFlix itself. To some extent, the show is fear and ego boiled down, reduced, intensified, dangerous sugar for the ego materialist, JR Ewing in Westwing. I have met people like the lead character, who is the egoist loser's fantasy of what power is like, and what actually happens is such people rarely make it out of the starting gate, as they get quickly known as untrustworthy, and word spreads fast, so they are left on the fringes of things and barely able to feed themselves, and eventually higher ruleset feedback starts to eat them from the inside to the extent they actually apply their thoughts to actions.

Real power comes from trust + effectiveness + love, in cooperative cabals that transcend sex, race, and socio-economic class.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Babak,

Addiction is a huge animal to tackle because it involves both the consciousness of the person, as well as the brain that consciousness uses to participate in this reality. There is lots of variation for both, and so it is difficult to make a one size fits all determination of how "morally culpable" the person is for their actions. Let me explain my understanding of addiction through my understanding of Tom’s model.

In a given experience of an Individuated Unit of Consciousness (IUOC) incarnated here, in a Physical Matter Reality, (PMR) there is a dynamic interplay between the consciousness and the rule set as it constrains what happens in that reality. For instance, we are constrained by gravity, and we do not have the muscle mass to break that constraint and jump 30 feet into the air. [perhaps in a closed environment one may be able to break the constraints of the PMR—this is after all a virtual reality. See Psi Uncertainty Principle]

According to Tom’s model, “consciousness leads and the body follows.” This means that if we change our consciousness (our attitude, behaviors, thinking, intent), our brains will change to reflect those changes. But this is not an easy thing to do: we are in this reality to evolve, and we must earn that evolution through hard work. Sometimes it appears impossible, and indeed it might be: it is not a given that we will be capable of overriding our ruleset. For instance, someone born with developmental difficulties will not be able to change his or her brain into a normally functioning brain by virtue of changes in consciousness. In other words, there may be a very high quality consciousness experiencing this reality through a damaged brain.

All people operate within a decision space based on their quality of consciousness and their situation operating in this reality as a Free Will Awareness Unit.

Addiction is different from brain damage insofar as it is potentially within the addict’s decision space to stop using the drug. Addiction is in essence using external reality (drugs, eating, gambling) to hijack brain chemicals that all humans use as rewards for evolutionarily profitable behaviors All people have a propensity for addiction, but it is accurate to say that some have it more intensely than others. Whether that is biological or due to life circumstances which primed the brain for addiction, I do not know. In any case, for addicted persons, the choice not to use is far from reach. Before the advent of 12 step programs, psychological counseling, and rehab centers, that choice was an even dimmer possibility.

Getting free of addiction requires first a change in consciousness. It requires the person to admit they have a problem, but more importantly, to form an intention to change. This is a matter of consciousness quality. Underlying all addictions is a very human dissatisfaction with the current state of being. This may be because of an abusive childhood, or a trauma, or because the consciousness is very entropic. The chemical soothes that malaise, and changes the state of consciousness temporarily. Note here that I am anti-addiction, but definitely not anti-drug. Perhaps using a drug will positively change a person’s state of consciousness and enable them to function more effectively than if they weren’t using the drug. The test is of course to see if the drug use negatively affects the person’s operation in the world, and their relationships with loved ones. Failing to change consciousness before getting sober results in what we call a “dry drunk,” where the person is indeed sober, but has not dealt with the underlying issues of their addiction.

Once that intent is formed, the addict must seek help to change the patterns of thinking and behavior that are operating within his or her brain. This is a matter of figuring out the ruleset to changing an addicted brain, and applying those rules. For some it may be psychotherapy, which helps to change both the consciousness and the brain’s habits. For some it may be a 12 step program, or rehab. Failing to effectively learn techniques for dealing with addiction results in relapses, where the person has a will to stop using the drug, but does not know how to enact those changes.

All of this will increase the probability of sobriety by bringing the choice to abstain within closer reach inside their decision space.

Such is only my understanding.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

there seems to be a need for an MBT style 12 step. A neighbour who had a drinking problem told me that he occasionally had the impulse to go to AA, but that he could not stomach the religious aspect, or as we would say, the religious metaphors.

So seems to me someone needs to go through 12 step and translate it into MBT metaphors, which you seem to already be leaning into.

Perhaps you can confirm this...I recall reading once that AA was inspired by a conversation between Carl Jung and the founder of AA?

When I arrived in Florida this season I was told Bob had locked himself in a room with several bottles of hard liquor, and that is how he ended it.

My overall impression is that a large part of vice relates to an incorrect response to higher ruleset negative feedback. Most people, upon encountering negative feedback related to high entropy intent, eventually connect the dots, perceive that mean behavior is the causal source of their negative feedback, and then form the intent to improve their behavior toward others, but some, rather than make this connection, attack the feedback with distraction and distractive addictive behavior or chemical emotional prophylactics. So with the problematique correctly defined, the solution is obvious.

I then wonder if this model can be broadened to the question of the kind alcoholic, the person who has otherwise disconnected themselves from a different feedback channel, and again, instead of connecting the dots, they attack the feedback with distraction and distractive addictive behavior or chemical emotional prophylactics.

There is higher ruleset feedback, discussed above, but there is also pragmatic and primal feedback. Like in Tom's discussion of primal man and primal woman, based on incorrect maps of human physical and emotional structure, we fail to connect the dots, feel primal negative feedback, so we ....attack the feedback with distraction and distractive addictive behavior or chemical emotional prophylactics.

Or we have a faulty mental map regarding our attitude and approach to education, credentials, training and tools, effort, ambition, teamwork, savings, investment...get stuck in a minimum wage job or unemployment, feel lots of negative ego feedback, as we are not yet Buddha, so we... attack the feedback with distraction and distractive addictive behavior or chemical emotional prophylactics, rather than invest in activities that would resolve the problem at source.

So in this way, the hinayanic lifejacket of absolute clean living that Tom guides us to is tailor made for a modernised version of 12 step.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:02 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

I know AA emphasizes "spiritual awakening" through God consciousness.I think MBT, Tom in particular tells us that God is a sensitive subject. And I think the word God is just a metaphor as Tom may have mentioned it. AA and the 12 step program also emphasizes getting rid of the fears, needs, wants, egos. Unconditional LOVE for all is the cornerstone of AA, and a path to achieving "spiritual awakening". The point is that all these programs, paths and theories have the same goals-LOVE. I just like MBT and Toms take on the consciousness because it is a better science (as he says) and it answers most of my questions.

Babak---GWC(go with consciousness)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

In the skiing days of youth, there would be three distinct layers of going up a mountain.

The first layer is slushy, crappy, rocky.

The second layer is clean trails cut through woods, with good pack.

The third layer is wide open glacier or powder above the tree line.

At the time I thought, first layer is hinayana, or Buddhist "Lessor Vehicle", slush, crap and rock to slug through.

The second layer is mahayana, or Buddhist "Greater Vehicle", clean orderly trails, the beginning of fun.

The third layer is Tantra, or Spiritual Off Roading, glacier or powder skiing, nirvana, Dance of Life.

In this Buddhistic indexing system I would classify 12 step...as an effective method to work through slush, crap and rock.

If you are crashing and so screwed up you don't know which way is up, let alone cannot find your feedback signal, you need some simple rules and lots of white knuckle discipline and structure to stabilize, you have to find someone you trust to give you some simple rules, and someone needs to have the courage and wisdom to give you those rules.

The implicit simple stabilization ruleset from Tom would be something like:

- ferret out sugar in all its forms from your diet, on zero tolerance basis, as it interferes with NPMR signal to noise
- reduce intoxicants, additives, inorganic foods, unpure water
- move to a plant centered high nutrient diet, for sensor platform optimization, without being a jerk about it
- meditate 20 minutes, twice daily
- pay attention to your intent->decision->action->result-> feedback loop when interacting with others
- animals are FWAUian dudes too!, so eliminate the moral issue of direct purchasing of meat

Am I missing anything, regarding the basics?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:23 pm 
Curator
Curator

Only the primary things, in preference to secondary things.

Honor and optimize the free will of all IUOCs, even to the preference above your own.
Protect the free will of those who require it, including your own as required.
Understand that you are here primarily to reduce the disorder in your mental functioning.
Understand that you are an integral and valued part of All There Is, as are all conscious beings.
Interact, both with the VR and with other IUOCs, and pay close attention to the feedback from that interaction.
Learn the difference between wants and desires and true needs as requirements.
Understand that this is a virtual reality and illusion and not the whole of your existence.
Hence, be prepared to leave at any time if necessary and continue on elsewhere without regret.

Some of this does repeat what you said above in perhaps simpler terms.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yours is an excellent summary of MBT, precisely as Tom describes it, but may be too accurate for a highly confused FWAU in severe distress, with a high noise to signal ratio, to interpret and absorb.

The key to ""rescue" fundamentalism or hinayana is to be highly prescriptive, i.e. do this, this and this, like guiding a toddler, somewhat counterintuitively from the actual instruction and spirit of MBT so well described by yourself.

Rescue Fundamentalism is a dumbing down so severe, that it actually violates core principles, such as not being prescriptive, and of course, many confuse Rescue Fundamentalism for the actual source teaching as time goes by.

If we were to copy the manner of the Spiritualists, your listing would be on a large card in front of the podium as a statement of principles of MBT when there were gatherings, or on a template page in the front of MBT literature.

A statement of principles describes a movement or philosophy to outsiders, and becomes a mental challenge for newcomers to ponder and adopt a posture of openness or skepticism. With experience and triangulation, these postulations may become belief, and with with further experience, knowledge, which is where mysticism becomes science.

A person who knows several friends who have been to Australia, believes Australia exists, but a person who has visited Australia or lives there, knows Australia exists, and this is the nature of belief. Accuracy in our acceptance of the uncertainty of things, rather than irrational attachment to things that are in truth uncertain.

Tom focuses somewhat on the issue of unprofitable imbalance between openness and skepticism, and confusion between belief and knowledge. Belief per se is not the problem, it is the confusion that belief is knowledge. The authentic scientist rather maintains an uncertainty factor attached to all theories.

Just for fun, here are the beliefs of Spiritualism that are posted in front of the podium and pasted into hymn covers.

The Nine Principles of the National Spiritualist Association of Churches, USA:

1- We believe in Infinite Intelligence.

2- We believe that the phenomena of Nature, both physical and spiritual, are the expression of Infinite Intelligence.

3- We affirm that a correct understanding of such expression and living in accordance therewith, constitute true religion.

4- We affirm that the existence and personal identity of the individual continue after the change called death.

5- We affirm that communication with the so-called dead is a fact, scientifically proven by the phenomena of Spiritualism.

6- We believe that the highest morality is contained in the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

7- We affirm the moral responsibility of individuals, and that we make our own happiness or unhappiness as we obey or disobey Nature’s physical and spiritual laws.

8- We affirm that the doorway to reformation is never closed against any soul here or hereafter.

9- We affirm that the precepts of Prophecy and Healing are Divine attributes proven through Mediumship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiritualism_%28beliefs%29

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 337 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 23