Return Home
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:51 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:23 am 

Dear all, I searched the forum before posting and I couldn't find an answer so bare with me.

Tom says it is not about the size, it is about the uncertainty of the quantum world. My question is why the following experiment won't work in the macro world ?

Consider macro particles that could make a mark if shooted on a screen. If we could push these partciles one at a time through a tube that is connected to two other tubes each ends at one slit. I would add that these two tubes have some mechansimto auto-fire these particles through the slit but without giving us a hint on the "which path" information. The joint of the three tubes has a "shutter" that randomly push the particle to one tube or the other , wrap the whole thing in a black box.

This is similar to Schrodinger cat example, we won't have the path information and we could verify if the interference pattern is observed on the screen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 am 
Curator
Curator

I am not going to try to get into discussing what you are speculating about. Instead I am going to refer you to where I first wrote a paper describing how a VR goes beyond where Tom took it in his books as being based upon probability. Go to the second locked forum on the board Index page, with the black padlock symbol just above the Chat forum. Look for the link to the paper about the Virtual Reality Rendering Engine and take the first link to a post by Tom on the board where he introduced this paper after I first wrote it. There he explained how Quantum Mechanics falls out of the nature of Virtual Realities as explained in this paper and basically you get the same effects on the quantum scale as on the macro scale as is explained in this paper. I wrote the paper, but I'm not a physicist and know little about QM. I just took Tom's explanation about VRs and expanded it in detail. Tom's explanation eventually leads to the link to download this paper.

Read the paper and see if between it and Tom's explanation, your questions are not answered. Come back and post any questions.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:26 am 

I was hoping for a simple answer not a multi page read, but thanks anyway

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:43 am 
Curator
Curator

Throw a 6 sided gaming die and translate as follows.

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) Perhaps.
4) Perhaps Not.
5) Learn to live with uncertainty. {Thomas Campbell}
6) 42 (The answer to Life, The Universe and Everything!) {Douglas Adams}

Do you really think that Quantum Mechanics and the nature of Reality is founded on short answers?
Tom Campbell wrote 800+ pages and the last section is devoted to short reference chapters you need study to go further into understanding the first parts you've already read. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Another possibility is of course to submit your question to Tom Campbell to be answered in his Fireside Chat Question and Answer session. Here is a link to this in 'Tom Campbell's World' which will give you an introduction to this material and then a link to where to post your question. Finally there is a link to where there are links to all of the previous 'Chats' and their answers.
viewtopic.php?f=265&t=10399#p95798

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
42 (The answer to Life, The Universe and Everything!) {Douglas Adams}
The number with which God creates the Universe his 42 letter name(Hebrew). It took 7.5 million years to calculate the answer. A 5 min search on the internet provided the question. Lol. :D

It’s about the journey not the destination. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:37 am 
Curator
Curator

Is that where Douglas Adams got his joke? I've always liked that concept: the real problem is that we don't understand the question so how can we understand the answer? But that was before I read and studied Tom's books. Would you mind going back and editing in that source link?

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don’t know the basis for the joke but when I searched the number 42 I found the possible question/answer in Wikipedia under religious references. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)
It could be where he got 42 I don’t know but it’s an interesting coincidence if not.

I then searched ‘42 name of God’ and found this... https://www.cs.utah.edu/~spiegel/kabbalah/jkm010.htm
It includes lots of info on the subject and you can see the actual 42 letters.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:20 am 
Curator
Curator

So option 6 on the proposed die for answering arbitrary questions takes us back to option 5: live with uncertainty.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It appears so, there’s no way to know for sure. According to Wikipedia there’s a book titled “42: Douglas Adams' Amazingly Accurate Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything“ which examines Adams choice of 42 in the joke. So apparently, there has been a lot of ‘Deep Thought’ on the subject. Lol. ;)