Return Home
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:34 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Dear Friends,

I am trying to research (or find previous researches) on the idea of similarity between "Physical" Space-Time behavior and "Computational" Space-Time trade-off.

As you probably know, length contraction is the phenomenon that a moving object's length is measured to be shorter than its proper length, which is the length as measured in the object's own rest frame. This contraction is usually only noticeable at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. Length contraction is only in the direction in which the body is travelling. For standard objects, this effect is negligible at everyday speeds, and can be ignored for all regular purposes, only becoming significant as the object approaches the speed of light relative to the observer.

A space–time or time–memory trade-off in computer science is a case where an algorithm or program trades increased space usage with decreased time. Here, space refers to the data storage consumed in performing a given task (RAM, HDD, etc), and time refers to the time consumed in performing a given task (computation time or response time).

The similarity is exposed in the following way:

As seen by a stationary observer, the moving object's length is shorter. At the same time, the stationary observer's clock measures "more time" - the observer gets older faster than the moving object.

In computational complexity theory, algorithms which use more space typically require less time. For example, if some theoretical algorithm has a very large table with all the answers, it requires O(1) time to complete its computation.

Such strong correlation between physics and computation can definitely support the simulation hypothesis.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Avi Tal.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hi, so basicly you are searching for evidence that such time dilation phenomenons happen within a computer simulation which should prove that our reality is computed also.?

perhaps the computer that runs reality doesn't work in linear cycles as we see on our stations. i do find the idea interesting. if it did run on linear cycles perhaps indeed there is a way to translate mouvment into time dilation within a computer simulation.perhaps the issue comes from measurment, i am learnign that it can be difficult to measure an acceleration because of the displacement in time.

computed space time and real space time seem to serve different purpose. real space time seems to have an infinit amount of fresh new input every second. meaning a lot of different possible things can happen . somthing hard to rreproduce on a computer or video game.

what part of space time are your thinking about.?

perhaps a simulation trying to track the position of an object within that simulation can cause time dilation effects as cycles are being read differently

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I could be, and likely am, off base about this... but to me Time-Dilation carries with it a materialistic assumption. The entire thought process starts from the idea that there is one objective reality, then because the speed of light is a constant there are paradoxes.

For example the way I think of it.

Imagine football being played at near the speed of light, every player on the field would experience a different outcome of the play. The WR might see the ball get tipped as the pass is thrown, the Quarterback might experience getting sacked etc.

The paradox is if it is one objective reality, then only one outcome is possible not many different outcomes.

But a virtual reality 'could' send many different outcomes to each player. The issue is the virtual reality would loose continuity and the players couldn't interact with each other. In a video game it would be a glitch where the game isn't playable and you would have to restart the game.

If the goal is to have a 'playable game', then it should be set up so it doesn't glitch and you avoid complications. That is why we move so slow compared to the speed of light so that very small issues can fall with in the natural uncertainty of our perception and everything runs along smoothly.

I don't know much about virtual reality and computer science, but I think that is where time-dilation would show in the code - how to handle syncing multiplayer. So, I used to play Madden football a lot online, and if the person you were playing had a slower connection it would glitch. If it got to bad you would loose connection and the game has to be reset.

:::::

A related line of thought, is that computers cannot compute irrational numbers. (Irrational numbers are just gaps between compute-able numbers where a number can not possible be computed, the gaps are conceptually real and describable). But It is unknown if they actual exist and philosophically its rather weak position to claim they do. They depend on, at least geometrically, for there to be length without breadth. But in a digital reality made up of pixels there is no such thing. In that case, there would not be any irrational numbers. A mathematician showed this and did the math justifying it.