Return Home
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:59 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: On Defeating Aging
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:36 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Alright, so science right now is in the process of trying to fix aging. Major breakthroughs have been coming in (https://mdibl.org/in-the-news/breakthro ... an-by-500/ and https://chitralnews.com/new-anti-ageing ... ve-to-150/ and https://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.com/ ... akthrough/ and https://joshmitteldorf.scienceblog.com/ ... old-blood/). And of course, we have seen human lifespans expand over the past 200 years.

This is great, but what happens when (if?) were become amortal, meaning that we don't die unless an accident happens? Because if humans can figure out how to reduce someone's age by more than 1 year for every year they live, then effectively there is the possibility of living forever.

When that happens, how does our IUOC evolve? Do you think that it will just have more growth in this lifespan, and less lifespans overall? I'm not sure that would happen, because many people seem to be stuck in the beliefs after middle age. I'm just wondering how new scientific breakthroughs fit into Tom's MBT.

Post subject: Re: On Defeating Aging
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That will never happen. The ruleset of this VR doesn't allow for that possibility. Have you ever noticed that no matter how many diseases are cured more pop up all the time?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If an insurmountable limit is not built into the ruleset, and we figure out how to hack it and achieve eternal physical material life, I would start to think about what management might do to reset the experience space or even shut it down.

An asteroid hit would likely get us back to a profitable learning vector. ; - )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:23 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
If an insurmountable limit is not built into the ruleset, and we figure out how to hack it and achieve eternal physical material life, I would start to think about what management might do to reset the experience space or even shut it down.

An asteroid hit would likely get us back to a profitable learning vector. ; - )
It is very hard to tell what would be the best for our decrease in entropy! I think that the universal consciousness will just make happen whatever will help lower its entropy, so in the end either defeating aging or not will be for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:26 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
That will never happen. The ruleset of this VR doesn't allow for that possibility. Have you ever noticed that no matter how many diseases are cured more pop up all the time?
Well, regarding diseases: humans' lifespans have almost doubled in the past 200 years, which is a pretty substantial increase. I should also note that certain things in nature (e.g. some trees) are effectively amortal: they do not die naturally, but only due to some external event. I think that this rules out the notion that "the ruleset of this VR doesn't allow for that possibility". Do we really know the entire ruleset of this VR?

Humans have an internal "clock" which sets how long they will live, but if we can turn back that clock (which is what the scientists in the articles I cited are doing), then we can get closer to amortality.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:39 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Fireside Chat with MBT Forum July 2015 Pt 3 - 1:107:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9gLGo0NXU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:22 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
Fireside Chat with MBT Forum July 2015 Pt 3 - 1:107:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ9gLGo0NXU
Thank you for the link. I find it very interesting how Tom talks about how our IUOCs do not need human bodies in order to decrease our entropy. If the simulation can put us in computers and make our IUOC digital (and if that is more efficient than humans), than that is what it will do!

I find myself caring more and more about my QoC vs. that of my external world and body, but I find increasingly that focusing on your QoC and improving it improves your external world even more than if you were to focus on it directly. I am so thankful to Tom for opening me up to a whole new domain of growth, namely that of my consciousness

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:32 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
Quote:
Well, regarding diseases: humans' lifespans have almost doubled in the past 200 years, which is a pretty substantial increase. I should also note that certain things in nature (e.g. some trees) are effectively amortal: they do not die naturally, but only due to some external event. I think that this rules out the notion that "the ruleset of this VR doesn't allow for that possibility". Do we really know the entire ruleset of this VR?

Humans have an internal "clock" which sets how long they will live, but if we can turn back that clock (which is what the scientists in the articles I cited are doing), then we can get closer to amortality.
In addition to that, some of the medical advances currently in clinical trials and developments are working to address aging damage directly, rather than symptoms or downstream processes. The SENS framework is similar to car maintenance - periodically repair accumulated damage so that it doesn't develop into a full-blown disease, rather than trying to tinker with complex systems and processes like metabolism to merely slow down the accumulation of said damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The ultimate frailty of our physical bodies is a tremendous asset to growing consciousness. Aren't caring, and being cared for, mostly as a result of physical (but also psychological) ailments concomitant with ageing, huge facilitators of growth?