Return Home
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:51 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Anna said:
Quote:
Interesting about Brian`s new chapter. Did you get this information on his website?
No, it was in an email. Chapter 6 will discuss humans. When an expert in any field can explain his ideas in plain English, and make you feel you understand, you know he's very clever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:37 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Chapter 6? Have I missed Capter 5? Can you post the link to it?

Latest I heard is Chp 4 last August: http://brianwhitworth.com/BW-VRT4.pdf.

Anna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Anna said:
Quote:
Interesting about Brian`s new chapter. Did you get this information on his website?
No, it was in an email. Chapter 6 will discuss humans. When an expert in any field can explain his ideas in plain English, and make you feel you understand, you know he's very clever.
Does Brian have an email list one can join for updates of his work ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:37 pm 
Curator
Curator

I don't think that Brian has any such thing as an e-mail list. Just check his web site every so often. That probably finishes his planned sequence of papers on the subject of VRs, unless I don't remember the number correctly as originally planned.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

There is a newly-updated, simplified Chapter 1 (Jan 2014) http://brianwhitworth.com/BW-VRT1.pdf

His next step in the VR series is to be a chapter on gravity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

In answer to Anna's question:

Brian and I don't agree on everything. however we do agree almost completely on the results at the macro level, not necessarily on the interpretation of the mechanism to get those results. Brian's model covers only a very small part of MBT -- it is PMR centric only. His big contribution is that he has come up with a potential simple digital process for developing the PMR rule-set. He makes the mistake of interpreting his process in terms of virtual particles instead of simple computational process. Thus, he ends up with the same story as material reductionists (along with all their problems) except that his version of reality is played out in a virtual world instead of the physical world. He missed the point that subatomic particles are not real actual things (in the physical world or in the virtual world) but rather only computational processes. Particle's are wholly made up (assumed/imagined) entities generated by material reductionists to theoretically explain the real effects they measure. Those effects are actually based on probability calculations derived and generalized from the PMR rule-set, not chunky little physical or virtual particles piled on top of each other. What we see and measure in PMR is as if these particles exist, not because these particles exist.

For now Brian sees the virtual PMR world existing because of these virtual particles, but we are still having friendly discussions about that interpretation and about all the illogical, inefficient and unnecessarily complex processes that erroneous interpretation creates.

Tom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:30 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank you so much Tom for your kind answer.

Anna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Tom's explanation of the differences is very useful.

Anna asked: Where are Chapter 5 and 6?
They're not written yet.
You can email Brian if you want to be sent each chapter as it's published, and give input too (he welcomes comments, and sometimes makes changes based on them).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oh, I see and thank you for the information. A good idea to e-mail Brian to keep oneself updated.

And yes, I found Tom`s explanation very useful too. It showed me how little I still understand (also in Tom`s own theory) and how I sometimes think I got it right, realizing later it wasn`t like that.

Anna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote:
There is a newly-updated, simplified Chapter 1 (Jan 2014) http://brianwhitworth.com/BW-VRT1.pdf

His next step in the VR series is to be a chapter on gravity.
As far as I can see all his Chapters except Ch.2 are up-dated in January 2014.

Anna

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:32 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I`ve just receive Chapter 5 from Brian. I don`t see that it has been put out somewhere on the Forum, anyhow here it is.

http://brianwhitworth.com/BW-VRT5.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I received that too Anna. And in his email, Brian states that Chap 5 completes Part 1 of the book (on Physics). Part 2 is to be on the Self and Consciousness, from the same perspective. That will indeed make for fascinating reading.

Links to all the existing chapters (some earlier ones updated) and to speculations about the future ones (Ch 6 and 7), are given here:

http://thephysicalworldisvirtual.com/

As has been already stated in past posts in this thread, Brian's writing style makes for a very elucidating read of complex subjects.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hi Arthur!
Yes, I heard too about Part 2 of his book and it is really exciting. He also said that some hints on the Consciousness part can be found in his "What is Reality" (Version2).
Anna

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:08 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

For those who are interested, Brian has issued a version 2017b of his Chapter 5, with some typo changes and the more confusing parts easier to read.

http://brianwhitworth.com/BW-VRT5.pdf

Anna

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for turning me on to this Anna..

I am finally reading some of Brian's papers for the first time because i ran across this thread..

I am enjoying the reading so far !