Return Home
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not ask questions about the model of Reality here. Only discuss principles and practical applications.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:36 am 
Curator
Curator

Principle 1: Free will is a fundamental requirement of Consciousness.

Free will is necessary and fundamental at the IUOC level for the existence of Consciousness and should be respected within any VR and optimized as a balance between would be controllers and those controlled within a PMR type VR where conflicts naturally occur between FWAUs.

Origin:

On page 412 of the ‘all in one’ version of My Big TOE on Google Books, there is a lengthy aside within which Tom explains the details of why free will is necessary to consciousness. Here is the link to the beginning of this material which goes on for several pages and is all of importance: http://books.google.com/books?id=RYHtBP ... 12&f=false There is a discussion of determinism versus randomness and free will and why free will is necessary for consciousness to exist.

Initial Example:

This is a primary Principle with applications all over our experience within PMR. It is the reason that we do not (should not) attempt to control our children’s every action as the result of such an attempt would be disastrous for their optimum development. It is the reason that we allow our children to learn by making mistakes, weighing potential damage against their learning by doing. This is the reason that you intervene if you see someone being attacked but also the reason that you hesitate to intervene when you see someone disciplining their child. You seek to understand the situation correctly but there are limits when discipline becomes abuse. This is the reason that you engage in the debates and conflicts of your society through the exercise of free speech rights and the democratic process and voting, if available. This is the reason that such free speech rights and a democratic form of government is of such importance and value in PMR and should be defended whenever and however it is attempted to compromise these free will based rights. This is the reason that you advocate for the preservation of wildlife and the humane treatment of farm livestock being raised for food or other uses, such creatures representing IUOCs just as you do, and having their own right to exist and live without being slaughtered for amusement or mistreated. This is perhaps the reason that you become a vegetarian and cease to 'eat' the avatars of other IUOCs here in PMR, removing them from their own path of development and living in unnatural and restrictive environments and shorten their potential for their own entropy reduction. This list of practical applications is endless because of the degree to which this Principle is primary to our reality as the LCS.

You are welcome to comment on and add to these concepts of practical applications of this principle and the principle itself.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:01 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Is free will fundamental?

By fundamental I mean something like, inherent to The Void, rather than the result of evolution, or arriving from the spontaneous emergent complexity that initially gives rise to AUO/AUM.

The reason I ask is the following quotes from Book 2, Section 3, chapter 11:
... such a system cannot evolve toward greater profitability without free will to make the required choices. Evolution requires choice between alternatives. For evolution to exist as a real process, the choices must be free....
It is the nature of evolving consciousness (or evolving anything) to make specific choices from the billions of available possibilities.
Perhaps the most striking:
If one conceives of free will as being theoretically derived from some independent random process, a circular logic trap is created.
Meaningless random results of meaningless random processes can produce no increase in cumulative profitability.
The logical conclusion of the preceding quotes is that The Void could never evolve to become AUO/AUM unless The Void itself already contained Free Will, as evolution towards profitability requires the existence of free will.

This leads me to wonder if, of The Two Assumptions, The Fundamental Process of evolution is actually just a way of saying Free Will. The Fundamental Process of Evolution seems to presuppose free will choice making, so perhaps evolution and free will are actually two sides of the same coin.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:44 pm 

I believe that Tom alludes to your conclusion in Section 3 in the lengthy aside exploring free will:
Are you beginning to see the connection of free will and our two main basic assumptions (Consciousness and Evolution)? Given the dynamic duo of consciousness and evolution as described, free will falls out as a necessary logical result. It is not an ingredient that somehow must be accounted for. Free will is simply the result of consciousness energy and the evolutionary process slipping in bed together for a joyous moment of creation that has not yet ended. From that union, all reality and existence flows. Our two basic assumptions not only allow and account for free will, but logically demand it and then create out of a synergistic interaction.

Makes me think of the Catholic concept of the Holy Trinity as being fundamental to all reality. I wonder if anyone else shares the suspicion that that is indeed the fundamental dynamic of reality early Catholic Theologians were trying to symbolize.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you have not read the autobiography of Yogananda, I encourage you to do so . You will find in the footnotes a reference to the trinity. The source of which is the Vedic scriptures which were written around 4000 bce.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 am 
Curator
Curator

Yogananda has been credited wih bringing to the west.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted Vollers wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 am Yogananda has been credited wih bringing to the west.

Ted
I was just poking around search results, and did a Wikipedia search on Hindu Texts, which emphasized how much of civilization existed before the birth of Jesus. It's quite remarkable to me.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you have not done so, "poke around" in the Hermetic literature.

John

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:37 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jdjr wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am If you have not done so, "poke around" in the Hermetic literature.

John
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've suckled on ancient wisdom of various sorts, throughout my Seeking, in my younger years, the pre-internet days. MBT's technological framework appeals to me tremendously. Ironically, one could say, as it's also the nature of the LCS.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry, I did not intend to send you down the "rabbit hole" of "seeking". In my previous response on this thread, I referred to the trinity and the Vedic scriptures. My purpose for the reference to the Hermetic was in response to your surprise at the age of the "Hindu Texts". I should have been more explicit. The Hermetic is very old and its fundamental is that consciousness is all and all is consciousness. We are in agreement with the regard to MBT and the LCS.

Respectfully,

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jdjr wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:55 pm Sorry, I did not intend to send you down the "rabbit hole" of "seeking". In my previous response on this thread, I referred to the trinity and the Vedic scriptures. My purpose for the reference to the Hermetic was in response to your surprise at the age of the "Hindu Texts". I should have been more explicit. The Hermetic is very old and its fundamental is that consciousness is all and all is consciousness. We are in agreement with the regard to MBT and the LCS.

Respectfully,
Not a problem.

It wouldn't take much to argue the point that my birth has some specific lessons involved in the incarnation, and <seeking> likely being one of the key ones to lead me to others.

My surprise was probably quite naive.
consciousness is all and all is consciousness.
I applaud those who noted so in the past. Now, in this era, those words have even more import, to my way of thinking. So it's notable, that yes, we are in agreement in regard to MBT and the LCS.