Return Home
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:22 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous 160 61 62 63 6466 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
.... a contradiction here.

When we want something to happen, we are operating out of weak intellect and ego and have little effect and when we don't want something to happen, it makes it happen.
Can Tom provide clarification on this?
Here is a hypothetical: an Ivey league professor who drinks, smokes and follows an unhealthy diet and has heart disease and COPD as a result. In spite of his doctor's warnings he continues down this negative path. He wants to be healthy.

Is he operating at the intellectual level?

Is there any chance he will get what he wants regarding his health under the present posture of things?

Does he have negative thoughts about what may happen to him?

Have those negative thoughts influenced his health in spite of his desire to be healthy?

John

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 am 
Normal User
Normal User

I would say that person is not taking responsibility for his actions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:52 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I would say that person is not taking responsibility for his actions.
"When we want something to happen, we are operating out of weak intellect and ego and have little effect": The professor is operating out of a weak intellect and ego. He wants to be healthy but he is unable to focus his intent to accomplish it.

"and when we don't want something to happen, it makes it happen.
Can Tom provide clarification on this?" The professor wants better health. His Doctor has warned him repeatedly to no avail. He worries about his ill health, does not want it to get worse but due to a lack of focused intent, brings on the very thing he does not want to happen and makes it happen. As his health continues to decline.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:57 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

A Question For Tom:

Tom has suggested that there is an objective morality, or objective right and wrong, which reduces to the statement, "If it increases entropy it is morally wrong, and if it decreases entropy it is morally right."

The justification for this seems to be rooted in the subjective value, or subjective preference, for the Larger Consciousness System to continue to exist. As long as it continues to reduce its entropy, it is growing informationally, and continues on existing, so reducing entropy is good, and increasing entropy is bad.

But is it objectively true that the continued existence of the Larger Consciousness System is good? Isn't this a mere arbitrary preference for existence over non-existence, which seems to be at the root of all morality in MBT? I have in mind the so called anti-natilists who seem to subjectively prefer non-existence over existence. Are they objectively wrong to value non-existence? Is the Larger Consciousness System objectively right to value existence?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:19 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

One More question for Tom:

Is the ultimate and fundamental ground of reality continuous or discrete? In some ways it sounds as if, since everything is a manifestation of AUO, that at base there is one continuous substance. In the MBT books, to describe the keeping of regular time the process is described by graphs which show the transition from state 1 to 0 as continuous in nature, which is to say there is no "excluded middle" as in digital clocks.

But then, when one thinks of AUO in relation to "not AUO" there is still a discrete nature inherent in the base of existence. And in the necessity of the realization of a "this state" versus a "that state" that kicks off all of AUO's eventual evolution, it seems that discreteness may be fundamental to metaphysics. It seems also that logic itself, the ability for conscious thought, relies on discrete bits.

Is it digits all the way down? Or do we end up at a continuous foundation? And what is the significance of this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hey, Tom

I read that the suicide rate has become quite high in South Korea for older people, simply because they don't have sufficient income to continue paying their bills. Many are in poor health and do not have relatives they can move in with. Obviously the country needs to develop a better social safety net, but what would you say to these folks who are faced with the difficult choice between either living on the streets or killing themselves (they do not have nearly enough shelters for all the homeless people, just like the US)? When is it time to trade in the old "junker" for a shiny new model if you don't have the funds to keep a roof over your head? Is there any value in old, sick people battling to survive in the streets, considering all the suffering that entails? Seems kind of pointless. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:10 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi,

Was there a specific point when you realised that love was the answer? and if so, did you begin to more consciously make loving choices in your life from then on?

Or was it more of a refining how you lived previously, as you seemed pretty well balanced from the start

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:06 pm 

The Ultimate Fear Test? Something else?

Hi,

I have a reoccurring experience where a formless 'thing' is calling out to me with a sound that brings tears to my eyes just trying to recall it. The more I try to overcome it, the more chaos and horrors occur around me. As this is a reoccurring event, I have become familiar with the process. I cannot speak of the horrors I am shown, but each time I would rather choose to face them than answer the call. It's unbearable. If I wake up, I get dragged back against all my will. Time slows and I can't escape. The worst of it happened two nights ago. I came back and I had completely missed work. Here is my question:

In your experience and understanding of reality, what do you think is happening? Can fear tests really become this extreme? If so, how do I face something that torments my very being so deeply, and yet is formless?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:18 am 
Normal User
Normal User

I am curious as to how our Quality of Consciousness is represented data-wise in our IUOC. I understand that we generally do not retain intellectual knowledge between experience packets. So that would seem to rule out remembering specific algorithms for making decisions. How then is our Quality of Consciousness represented so that there is continuity and growth between lifetimes, without us recalling specific memories and algorithms?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:55 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Tom often explains that sugar is an extreme influence when it comes to the clarity of our consciousness. I still have problems understanding why. I was wondering if Tom could explain the effects of sugar on our consciousness with the metaphor of the Elf in World of Warcraft.

To me, it seems that the game would give the elf constraints for eating sugar. The player behind the screen should remain unaffected. He should be able to access other games or do anything besides playing the elf without an issue.

Do we access the larger reality only "through" our avatar? In this case the World of Warcraft metaphor would not work but maybe Tom could find another way to explain how this works.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 am 
Normal User
Normal User

-

Last edited by Robert A.C on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:05 am 
Normal User
Normal User

-

Last edited by Robert A.C on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 am, edited 10 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:34 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

-

Last edited by Robert A.C on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:14 am 
Normal User
Normal User

x

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:31 am 
Normal User
Normal User

-

Last edited by Robert A.C on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 am, edited 12 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 990 posts ]  Go to page Previous 160 61 62 63 6466 Next