Return Home
It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:46 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:48 pm 

Hello everyone!
I am really not sure why I had not heard of Tom Campbell before and only found him a couple of months ago when someone mentioned him in the comment section is a completely different video on YouTube. My curiosity had me find his channel and I was amazed that he was saying things that I had been thinking about myself for the last 10 years. His videos really resonated with me and I recently started his first book. I feel like I can understand the theory in the intellectual sense, but I do not feel i am able to apply it practically yet with how I engage with those around me, as I am living a pretty "high entropy" irritable state on being. That's OK. I don't need to change overnight, but I would like to take steps, regardless of how small. I'm sure I will get there eventually, as will everyone.

For now, I just want to learn how to mediate. I'm hoping it can prove insightful for a push into some real, not just superfluous, change. My question is for those that have ever attended a 5 day intensive with Tom. I signed myself up for one coming up, mainly for the purpose of learning to meditate (I just can't seem to do it for some reason). If anyone has been to one, I would love to hear what to expect and how to prepare.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:30 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I've been to several of Tom's seminars but not one of the retreats. I have been to a week long program at The Monroe Institute.

It would probably be very helpful to work on meditating before you go. Sit somewhere comfortable, close your eyes, and relax. Stop your internal dialog. Try repeating a word ending in 'ing' if you cannot do it - like sha-ring, na-ring. Even if you can only do it for a few seconds at first that is alright. Any thoughts that come to you just let them drift off. If you can, do this morning and night even if it is only for 10 minutes. You should be able to lengthen the time that you sit without any internal dialog. You may even get to the point where you can drift in a sea of black without any feeling of your body or external environment. This is called the Void.

You may have a lot of things happen when you are trying to learn to meditate. It is common to have itches, restlessness, hear sounds, feel strange. You may see colors and shapes. Scratch the itch, and do whatever to satisfy your body's needs and then go back to meditating. It isn't really hard but takes some persistence.

As for the retreat, go with no fear and no expectations. Just take things as they come and enjoy yourself. I dare say it will be an experience like no other you have ever had in the way of joy, companionship, fellowship, and learning.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 am 

Thank you, Sainbury.
I will take your advice and try shorter intervals twice daily. The ability to stop attaching myself to random thoughts has been my greatest challenge. When I do seem to manage it, I fall asleep. I have been listening to to binaural beats and Hemisync but I don’t think I’m disciplined enough yet.
Is there any type of foods to avoid before going, like sugar? I have heard that diet can impact the quality of meditation but am not sure how much truth there is in that.
I hope there are others on this board who may be attending as well. I’m very much looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I fell asleep sometime too at first. I made myself tracks that had a beep every once in awhile to bring me back. Really it just takes practice. Think of a person trying to learn how to play the piano. Getting mad at yourself because you hit the wrong keys is counter productive. It just takes regular practice.

Yes, sugar does have an effect on consciousness and also caffeine and other chemicals. Eating sugar right before meditating might make it a lot harder to do.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Enkidu

The most fruitful way I have found over the years, on your own power... Binaural beats was a close second, the soccer ball was the most effective in my case, imagine a soccer ball . when you inhale picture the ball coming to you, exhale picture the ball going away. if you have any stray thoughts,, gently move an imaginary hand to sweep/push the thoughts out of your mind and continue the meditation. keep this up for a few months at lest and see what comes before you decide to change.

-Toby