Return Home
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:08 am

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSWSLIv ... omCampbell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:47 pm 

I just watched this. They are in high agreement. I would say Bernardo comes from a philosophical perspective and Tom from an augmented physisicist perspective.

Worth watching.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just watched this. They are in high agreement.
Unfortunately, that's because the facilitator did not do his job (insufficient research)! Here are 4 of the differences:

1. TC says this is a VR. BK is naturalistic (our universe is real, not virtual). Thus for BK stars and galaxies are all out there (albeit mere representations of the activity of "Mind at Large"). For TC, the Universe is just computed pixels (appearing as stars and galaxies).
2. TC says time is real and an essential property of Consciousness. BK says it is not, just a part of the scaffolding of our dissociated minds, such that events only appear to be causally connected in time because we don't have enough of the (timeless) Big Picture (in other words, we don't have a God perspective).
3. TC says free will is important. BK says it is not - that the way we act is determined by our natures (previous experience, evolutionary pressures, cultural conditioning).
4. TC thinks that silicon computers can become conscious. BK (a computer engineer as well as a philosopher) says this is impossible, because life always looks like metabolic activity. He says AI is quite different from felt Consciousness (qualia) - it's parameters are programmed, not experienced.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:31 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for your research, vzam.

Even though I've listened a lot to Bernardo, I've not done a point by point comparison. But your argument is well constructed.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A pleasure, RBM. Another difference:
5. According to TC, we are here to resist entropy, brighten our consciousness and thus brighten the LCS (forever and ever). He says the LCS is already very bright and self-reflective. According to BK, we are here to provide insights for Mind at Large, which only gets perspective on itself from metacognitive beings who have evolved in the pressure cooker of a planetary environment. His LCS is a unitary Mind at Large inside which we act as its dissociated alters or avatars. Mind at Large is naturally intelligent, but not self-reflective except through us (and any other metacognitive beings that may exist).