Return Home
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Low Entropy Choices
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

What are some examples of “Low entropy choices” you may have made lately?

Post subject: Re: Low Entropy Choices
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is a good question, and I've been thinking about it since you posted it.

My well went dry and I had to go on city water. $500 for well repair that didn't work. $500 for permit. $2,000 to drop a water meter. $460 to dig from where water goes into my house to the water meter. A third of the backyard is dug up.

All in all, I think I handled it pretty well.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sainbury wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:11 pm This is a good question, and I've been thinking about it since you posted it.

My well went dry and I had to go on city water. $500 for well repair that didn't work. $500 for permit. $2,000 to drop a water meter. $460 to dig from where water goes into my house to the water meter. A third of the backyard is dug up.

All in all, I think I handled it pretty well.
That sounds like an unfortunate situation, that is an expensive unforeseen event.

When you say you think you handled it pretty well, what do you mean? What were your options?

Looking back, in what ways could you have handled it either better or worse?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I tried to take things as they happened and not stress too much about it. I did stress out a bit, but nothing like I would have 10 years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sainbury wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:11 am I tried to take things as they happened and not stress too much about it. I did stress out a bit, but nothing like I would have 10 years ago.
Aaah, yes stressing about things just makes them worse.

When I started college I was seriously stressed about how I was going into debt up to my eyeballs. I remember walking to class one day stressing about it and having the realization that the stress was harming me, so I began to think about how in that moment I had everything that I needed. I had a roof over my head, food to eat, air to breath and clothes to wear. Sure it was all a big gamble at the time and It did take decades to pay off through a lot of work and times of struggle but ever since I first had that realization I have always known that…

In this moment, I have everything that I need, and the moment I no longer have everything that I need I will no longer be here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I try and live with that same philosophy. I try and appreciate the things I have. I love sleeping in clean sheets right after a shower. It is the height of luxury few stop to enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:38 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I love to accept that I am more than this physical body "getting" this "data stream". When I do, I become the observer (IUOC) of "emotion". The detachment from emotion marks reality. Negative emotion is a subset of fear. Once one releases a negative emotion, the choices are no longer controlled by fear. Fear based emotion upon the "body consciousness" changes the probable outcome.

I would rather attach to a positive emotion (such as joy) and observe the probable outcomes. Choice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Jdjr wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:38 am I love to accept that I am more than this physical body "getting" this "data stream". When I do, I become the observer (IUOC) of "emotion". The detachment from emotion marks reality. Negative emotion is a subset of fear. Once one releases a negative emotion, the choices are no longer controlled by fear. Fear based emotion upon the "body consciousness" changes the probable outcome.

I would rather attach to a positive emotion (such as joy) and observe the probable outcomes. Choice.
That’s a good way to put it. Many people don’t take responsibility for their emotions. They always look outward but emotions always come from within.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

About a week ago I successfully defused a late night fight between a friend of mine and a troubled man on the street in St. Louis so that both parties walked away peacefully and unharmed. Before I interjected a punch had been thrown but fortunately not landed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:46 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

mattk wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:11 pm About a week ago I successfully defused a late night fight between a friend of mine and a troubled man on the street in St. Louis so that both parties walked away peacefully and unharmed. Before I interjected a punch had been thrown but fortunately not landed.
Seems pretty low entropy to me. Good Job!

Be careful though. The high entropy folks like to defend the crazies. As they are crazy themselves. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If we here, as people ostensibly striving to lower our entropy, live with or among others who we know are reacting to things in a high entropy way, try in any way to help them - from a motive of love and concern - to modify their reactions, is that "good" or "bad"? MBT teaches that 'controlling' others (if this example is that) is a negative, whereas it also teaches that intent is the most important arbiter in judging an action. I suppose the crucial parameter is what constitutes 'control' - when does concerned advice become 'control'. I think the MBT view is that control is when one tries to limit the decision-space of another - but by that definition perhaps we might never be able to advise another. "Influence" vs "Control" - a tricky definition, perhaps? Or not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:52 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You really cannot change another person. And a high entropy person is going to make high entropy decisions. It is a long slow process to lower entropy and advice doesn't do it. It is a process of Intent, decisions, and feedback from those decisions. The example of your low entropy decisions is the best you can do to help another person.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Arthur wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:34 am If we here, as people ostensibly striving to lower our entropy, live with or among others who we know are reacting to things in a high entropy way, try in any way to help them - from a motive of love and concern - to modify their reactions, is that "good" or "bad"? MBT teaches that 'controlling' others (if this example is that) is a negative, whereas it also teaches that intent is the most important arbiter in judging an action. I suppose the crucial parameter is what constitutes 'control' - when does concerned advice become 'control'. I think the MBT view is that control is when one tries to limit the decision-space of another - but by that definition perhaps we might never be able to advise another. "Influence" vs "Control" - a tricky definition, perhaps? Or not?

advice:

noun
Opinion about what could or should be done about a situation or problem; counsel.
Information communicated; news.
An opinion recommended, or offered, as worthy to be followed; counsel; suggestion.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

I don’t think there is a problem with advice especially if they’ve asked for advice. Advice is not “control” they can take it or leave it. They can choose to be influenced or not. It does not limit their free will nor their decision space.

If you offer advice with the intent to control then you are not giving advice you are attempting control(advising).

Control is something very different.

control:

transitive verb
To exercise authoritative or dominating influence over; direct: synonym: conduct.
To adjust to a requirement; regulate.
To hold in restraint; check.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

Control is always negative but can be used in the service of loving intent. Example: Not allowing your child to eat nothing but cookies because doing so isn’t good for them(they don’t have the faculty or experience to know better). However, once they’ve reached the age of majority they must be “allowed” to make mistakes in order to learn and grow. It is of no use and no good result would likely come from further attempts at control since at that point it is no longer about love of “other” and has become love of “self” through “attachment”. In which case the better option would be to exercise “self control” and let them be as they are and give advice if asked.

Notice,

Advice is a noun: person, place or thing. The subject of action. Being. Advice is an unaccountable noun. A thing, a concept(information).

Control is a verb: action, that which one does to a person, place or thing or a Being. “Self” or “Other”. Karma. Negative but can be used positively or negatively in relation to “Self”or “Other”.

Advise is a verb: action, that which one does to a person, place or thing or a Being. “Self” or “Other”. Karma. Neutral. Can be used positively or negatively in relation to “Self” or “Other”.

Advice transforms from a state of unaccountable Being into the Action of Advising through the Understanding and Intent of the Beings involved in the interaction.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:13 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Arthur wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:34 am If we here, as people ostensibly striving to lower our entropy, live with or among others who we know are reacting to things in a high entropy way, try in any way to help them - from a motive of love and concern - to modify their reactions, is that "good" or "bad"? MBT teaches that 'controlling' others (if this example is that) is a negative, whereas it also teaches that intent is the most important arbiter in judging an action. I suppose the crucial parameter is what constitutes 'control' - when does concerned advice become 'control'. I think the MBT view is that control is when one tries to limit the decision-space of another - but by that definition perhaps we might never be able to advise another. "Influence" vs "Control" - a tricky definition, perhaps? Or not?
I think all we do here is 'control' our own reactions and let all else be. Telling someone to act or do something rarely if ever works or is beneficial apart from special occasions. The most powerful you can be normally is the person you are now. Helping yourself with your own choices helps others more than anything else.
Let people die on their own sword can be hard if you see it happening but also can be the best for the person/s involved.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:47 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

He was surrounded by low entropy, high QOC.

Good to see. :)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1KjOVjiY3M