Return Home
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:24 am 
Curator
Curator

To All,

We have weathered a year including and eliminating the 'attack of the spammers'. I have just looked through the membership list and see that we clearly must still have a lot of those spam attack results as lurkers that were never used in an active attack. I believe that I must go back and prune the membership list of lurkers that exceed a year in the wings with no posting as probably left overs from the spam wars. If they are legitimate spectators only, they can after all 're up' at no expense to regain access to all of the board. Or if they have lost interest, it will again be no problem to them.

We have been averaging just over 21 new members per month. There is no clear pattern of an increasing rate of new members, except long term. Tom and I are the only power posters and active posters from the first calendar year of existence of the My Big TOE Bulletin Board. There is a clear pattern of an increasing rate of posting, active power posters and interpersonal interaction by PMs and by e-mail between members. There were only 2 power posters from 2004. Starting in 2007, there are many power posters and through the present an increasing number of power posters and active posters in general. Clearly a community is developing and the activity level is rising.

Signs of this developing community, to my point of view, is that there is a developing sense of what is proper behavior here without posting and enforcement of a rigid code of conduct and a lot of disciplining of infractions. New posters are greeted in a friendly manner, taken at face value and allowed time to adjust willingly to the group norms. Aggression and domination attempts are reacted to, but there have been no 'flaming' and personal attacks. I am pleased and proud of you all as a group, coming together entirely on a free will and common interest basis and developing mostly on your own a good quality standard of interaction. This speaks well of your general developmental level and quality of consciousness. Thank you all for making herding this 'flock' of cats so easy.

I anticipate that things will get much busier in the new year as Tom continues to attract attention on the lecture circuit and the number of readers increases. I thank you all and individually for your contributions to the betterment of the bulletin board. I would appreciate your further help, as some have already done, by either pointing out or yourselves posting links and threads as the 'Best' for inclusion in that section of forums. I thank you for creating a good start with the Acronyms section and the other recent suggestions for good and useful additions to the board which are underway. We will need those sections for the benefit of those who come here from attending or listening to Tom's lectures as opposed to reading the books. Further efforts in 'data mining' of old threads for gems that Tom has (or others have) posted in the past are very desirable. I need not have been concerned as I once was about putting only my own opinion out for the selection of the Best as I am not finding time to get around to it. We need data miners. This has considerable value for Tom as this means that posts do not have to be repeated and that valuable information is not lost in the past threads. This will make this information available for Tom to readily include in new books and speed their writing and publication.

I thank you all for the advances of the past year and for what will be your contributions to the successes of the New Year of 2010. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:25 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Happy New Year, Ted!

I hope and will keep sending my thoughts towards you being healthy for the rest of your PMR journey. I appreciate your efforts towards posting and helping others and I always admire that you keep typing over and over descriptive posts for people that ask similar questions.

I wish you less health and economic struggles for this year and more joy and love.

Happy New Year to all and thank you all for your contributions to MBT and this board and to bring a "feel at home" atmosphere.

Claudio

> http://soprano.com <

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:59 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

As soprano said. Happy New Year, all the best to you too, and thanks.

And regarding those spammers, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to configure board with some better captcha system. Like some distorted text which user has to read and enter in a box, instead of that 3+2 thing.
I think there are a lots of plugins for phpbb which do captchas.. it really helps with automated attacks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This board is a "class act", no doubt a reflection of it's operator.

Happy New Year to all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:18 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Happy nu ear Simba bwe!

Officer Soprano wishes you a great year and to keep evolving your sense of humor among other things. I am looking forward to obe with you and Corky! It sounds fun.

Don't forget your weekly asked contribution.

Cloud yo, the o of the clouds

> http://soprano.com <

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for the tech update, Ted.

Are you preparing for increasing success and all the attendant challenges ? Is the technology used here sufficient to allow significant expansion ?

Thanks to all the posters, who try to facilitate understanding of the MBT, through their own understanding.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:25 am 
Curator
Curator

RBM,

The BB system is updated to the latest version. It has plenty of capacity. For the moment, spammers are kept out. What we need, and what I have been trying to work towards, is better organization. Tom has made posts over the years that expand on and explain questions raised by those who have read MBT. No rigid control has been placed on where posts are made, which is not a bad thing really, and threads morph into something else than they were started as. If Tom's posts that are especially valuable for answering common questions were picked out and put into or linked from the thread that is labeled as the Best Threads, they would be available for ready access to answer questions that tend to be repeated. Especially of value for those who come here from attending or viewing a lecture as opposed to reading the trilogy. There are other posts and threads by others which fit this category as well. We need this data to be mined and made available for ready use. Otherwise these posts must be done over again or searched out one at a time. Not many users have the searching skills or patience to do this while anyone can, if willing, pick a forum and scan the threads for high value posts. Eventually it will reach a point that I cannot keep up with repeatedly answering the same questions. Even recruiting others to help will not be as valuable as developing a ready reference 'library' of such material.

We are observing the appearance of independent research in mathematics and various fields of natural science and physics based upon consciousness being a fundamental aspect of reality. An idea whose time has come. This is something that is developing as an idea fairly widely throughout research fields. I am trying to place links to those investigators and their research as references in the Best Links thread so that they can be referenced at need. There are many with varying interests and they are welcome to make the kind of posts that they are doing now in appropriate places. What I am referring to for The Best is those links which particularly match concepts of MBT. That fit under the conceptual umbrella as modeled by Tom. Everyone is urged to contribute their nominations for this section. Anyone wishing to help, make a nomination and we will talk about it and possibly your getting permission to directly access this area. Tom will eventually review the work and make final decisions as to what is to remain after we build some initial material of significant quantity.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Overall I think things are being handled quite well in the tech aspect.

In regard to you data mining strategy my personal interest at the moment is in 'open-minded' skepticism'.

My experience at the INTJforum with actual scientists underscores the importance of the Awakening volume of the MBT.

I have recently recognized, early, posters who come looking with malevolent intent, as it turns out. They were given enough rope to 'hang themselves'. While this can be effective it comes back to the data mining and how it can be used. It can be used to shorten that 'dance'.

It's a bit of dilemma I don't have an easy answer to - but it's one data mining task I'll keep filtering for.

Last edited by RBM on Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Happy New Year!

Everything in life, year after year, is all about Love. Words do matter only so much. What and how we feel is what we are.

Leonard Cohen, Dance Me to the End of Love

Lena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lena wrote:Happy New Year!

Everything in life, year after year, is all about Love. Words do matter only so much. What and how we feel is what we are.

Leonard Cohen, Dance Me to the End of Love

Lena
Thank you Lena, as always. There definitely is a special beauty in a long-term romantic love relationship as witnessed perfectly in this surrealistically beautiful video you've shared. Perhaps I'll have to come back to give that a whirl, you know, meet a boy, fall in love, get married, buy a house, have babies, raise them, send them to college, etc....
Love to you and yours,
Bette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:57 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Also from me happy new year to all here in this forum and succesful QOC increases for the future :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Happy New Year everyone. I hope you are still enjoying the holidays and looking forward to an exciting 2010!