Return Home
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:59 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I very much suggest against YouTube. I hate the way that it scrambles things around. And the number of segments would make this horrendous as a problem. Every time you make a selection, it scrambles all the rest around again. It is impossible to keep things in order in my experience.

Ted
You just need to know what you're doing. Whitcomb helped out K&D, I'm sure he'd help you too Ted.

YouTube is better than nothing!

Thank you Justin for compressing them, that is mighty kind of you to take the time!

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:01 pm 
Curator
Curator

What is to help? YouTube displays a scrolling page full of randomly assorted videos. You pick out the one you first want to watch and see that here and there are two others that come in sequence after. As soon as you select the first, the page is randomized again and the next two that you want have to be searched out again, if they in fact remain on display. You are looking at a page that covers a general concept. You pick one that is a little bit different than the rest in some way that probably makes no sense to you and is certainly not clear to casual inspection. After the page is loaded, you suddenly see that the whole page of viewing options has changed to an entirely new subject.

I know how to make sense of it. It was not designed to be helpful and usable in a rational way to convey serious information. It was designed to keep people occupied searching out entertaining tidbits to while away their excess time. If your time is not excess in your opinion, it is a terrible design. If the information were readily accessible otherwise, I would gladly go elsewhere.

Ted

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ted,

I remember viewing Tom's London lecture on youtube and it was fine to navigate as videos were arranged in a playlist, that is not created automatically, but someone has to do it. In a playlist they stay ordered.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We have uploaded the part 1 of forum get together to Tom's youtube channel, 1 hr 45 min , 8.5 GB .
We need to let it process and add tags, so it will be available tomorrow, 2,3,4,5 to follow.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
What is to help? YouTube displays a scrolling page full of randomly assorted videos. You pick out the one you first want to watch and see that here and there are two others that come in sequence after. As soon as you select the first, the page is randomized again and the next two that you want have to be searched out again, if they in fact remain on display. You are looking at a page that covers a general concept. You pick one that is a little bit different than the rest in some way that probably makes no sense to you and is certainly not clear to casual inspection. After the page is loaded, you suddenly see that the whole page of viewing options has changed to an entirely new subject.

I know how to make sense of it. It was not designed to be helpful and usable in a rational way to convey serious information. It was designed to keep people occupied searching out entertaining tidbits to while away their excess time. If your time is not excess in your opinion, it is a terrible design. If the information were readily accessible otherwise, I would gladly go elsewhere.

Ted
Hi Ted,

Like Alik said:
Quote:
...it was fine to navigate as videos were arranged in a playlist, that is not created automatically, but someone has to do it. In a playlist they stay ordered.
I think you might benefit from educating yourself on playlists, you might find YouTube somewhat more user-friendly.

It sounds as though you have some pent-up hostility and rage at YouTube!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 10:54 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Quote:
You just need to know what you're doing. Whitcomb helped out K&D, I'm sure he'd help you too Ted.
Thanks for the vote of confidence, AeroLynda123. I sent Keith and Donna an email directly last night laying out my ideas, many of which have already been mentioned on the thread such as downsizing the files and setting up mirror sites. The peer-to-peer (torrent) option would probably be the most efficient and least costly solution but I too, am uncomfortable with that because of its misuse for copyrighted materials, but don't let me stop anyone if they want to do it. On the other hand, file sharing space in "the cloud" is incredibly cheap. I have an account on Microsoft SkyDrive and get 25GB of storage space free. Adrive offers 50GB of space and concurrent downloads for $7 a month--if each of us sent Keith and Donna 50 cents it would more than cover the cost for a month.

However, if it was me, I would first try to downsize the files (e.g., high quality stereo audio takes up space but is generally not needed for the spoken word) and ask for volunteers to upload them to free, file-sharing sites. I think that would get a couple of alternate sites up almost immediately. I would also survey Forum members to see if their computers and DVD players can play the new double-layer DVDs and Blu-Ray discs. If enough people can play them, I'd also offer to burn the high quality version of the video to these discs and sell them at cost, because I would not have to make so many discs per video. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
However, if it was me, I would first try to downsize the files (e.g., high quality stereo audio takes up space but is generally not needed for the spoken word) and ask for volunteers to upload them to free, file-sharing sites.
I think that's Justin's plan and why he was compressing them.

I got to listen to part 1 at work yesterday but then they laid me off, and I didn't get a chance to listen to or watch any of the other parts.

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
We have uploaded the part 1 of forum get together to Tom's youtube channel, 1 hr 45 min , 8.5 GB .
We need to let it process and add tags, so it will be available tomorrow, 2,3,4,5 to follow.
The Youtube vids are fine, Keith. Good stuff - thanks for your efforts!

I'm watching Pt 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zVk-wbG8Wk and greatly looking forward to Pt 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJI68YgN7TY

Good to see and hear some of the faces!

Arthur

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
I very much suggest against YouTube. I hate the way that it scrambles things around. And the number of segments would make this horrendous as a problem. Every time you make a selection, it scrambles all the rest around again. It is impossible to keep things in order in my experience.

Ted
If they put them in a "playlist" then you can click on "play the entire list" or something like that, and it does so in order.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
If they put them in a "playlist" then you can click on "play the entire list" or something like that, and it does so in order.
Love
Bette
I believe you can even do this yourself by clicking Add to Playlist or something similar. The people I listen to usually have prebuilt playlists, that's very helpful. They often have a link within or underneath the first video (or first few videos) saying "click here for playlist". It's good for hands-free listening, when you play a lot of Bejeweled like I do :)

I cannot express my gratitude to all of you who took part in creating these videos. Yes I loved the audio and yes, hearing your voices conjured up your faces (and more!) in my mind's eye, but since I am very visual, I love the video much more! Also the new ones are nearly two hours long apiece! But like Tom has said, people may not want to rewind and fast forward through 2 hours of video to find the portion they are looking for.

I guess I can see both sides of the argument, but I never would have found Tom, Max Igan, Bashar or a lot of other wonderful teachers had it not been for YouTube, and I feel a lot of love for that site because of the learning, wisdom, knowledge and entertainment it has the potential to offer everyone, and has provided myself personally.

But that's just my three dollars :)

Love,
Lynda

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Hi All :-)

Just to let you know that the info is being spread out there ;-)
Looking forward to the final parts of the videos.

Zatori.net - Thomas Campbell MBT Forum Get Together March 2011

In Gratitude
Frank

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 4:40 am 
Curator
Curator

Thank you, Frank.

Ted Vollers

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Looks like 1 through 3 are up on youtube now... awesome job Donna and Keith!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks all

Yes, we will put up the videos in a playlist, we will wait until all are finished and then you can just go to the playlist under the same title and watch in order.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

nice

peace
patrick

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next