Return Home
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So one could buy one used, use it for a couple months, then resell it, and may be only out $50 round trip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:04 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

kroeran wrote:So one could buy one used, use it for a couple months, then resell it, and may be only out $50 round trip
Or several people could go in on it and pass it around...
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:31 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

Yes sharing is a good idea, but i will keep it since my children can also exercise and play around especially with the concentration games. I found that the price is not much compared to the other "toys" one can and does buy nowadays...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Alifo wrote:Yes sharing is a good idea, but i will keep it since my children can also exercise and play around especially with the concentration games. I found that the price is not much compared to the other "toys" one can and does buy nowadays...
A loaning library...that just popped into my mind. I was going to say "it takes all kinds" ;) meaning yeah some will want it there full time and some just want to check it out once and some may want it occasionally.
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK, I got mine today, but only now got few minutes to play with it. Need to learn more about it. I spent almost half an hour looking for the software for it that I swear I saw on Neurosky couple days ago and that displayed all the interesting stuff. You cannot find it easily by browsing their store, so below is a link to it. It's called Visualizer 2.0 and to me it looks like the most useful of the free apps that are available. However, it shows very wide bands for brainwaves, i.e. theta is like 3-8Hz or so. So you cannot determine if you are hitting 3.75 or 3.8 or 4Hz. That's why I will be writing an app that hopefully will be able to display that, unless the data comes out to be too noisy to be useful.

Visualizer 2.0, the page has some screenshots.
http://store.neurosky.com/products/visualizer-2-0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 am 
Curator
Curator

I remember some mention of one of these devices being based upon 'dry contact' at the electrodes. I have a suggestion. You might look into the contact lens solution shelf at your drug store and probably find what I remember as a wetting solution which as I remember was a sterile, neutral saline solution. A drop of this under the contact point during use should greatly increase conductivity to the skin and reduce noise, to my thinking anyway. You might consider this. These contacts are no doubt chrome or otherwise plated to avoid rust. You might also look for alcohol wipes as used before insulin injection to clean the skin. In this case, to remove some of the normal skin oil prior to adding the drop of saline solution and again permit a better electrical contact.

Ted

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good point Ted, I was reading how a user of this devise used a little of his saliva to increase the quality/strength of the signal so cleaning the forehead of the oils and using a little gel would probably be a little better and cleaner :)

This looks like a cool link with useful free software for EEg devises.

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/sw/

thynes

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

More expensive, but apparently it has been around for a while and seems to get good reviews overall:

http://emotiv.com/store/hardware/epoc-b ... roheadset/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:09 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

In this Emotive EPOC SDK video at the 1 minute mark, you can see that the display shows specific brain activity for delta, theta, alpha, and beta. This looks pretty interesting to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HVWpwQLwXA#!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

willmeister wrote:I'm seriously thinking about getting it. Sounds like a lot of fun, what geek pleasure :D

And not just for myself, I'd love to make lab rats out of my friends, they'll get a kick out of it ;)

I wonder how it'll act in the various states, I can't wait. I have bipolar friends, I wonder what that'll look like on them. What would it do when i make music? Wonder if I can transpose the waves into auditory music, what would that sound like? Aw man, I can't wait.

(I can't find any user reviews though. Most of the youtube reviews are done by the company -.-)
I'm also in the serious mode at this moment. I will spend today researching online.

Thanks for the feedback - If I find any new data I will post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

what would be cool is to build a sensory deprivation floatation tank with waterproof earbuds pumping binaural and with eeg monitoring to track entrainment, maybe roll this in with obe4u indirect technique (tanking just after waking from a nap or sleep), and maybe you could get close to an OBE jacking machine

might be a business model in this

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:24 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Justin wrote:More expensive, but apparently it has been around for a while and seems to get good reviews overall:

http://emotiv.com/store/hardware/epoc-b ... roheadset/
14 saline connections sounds way better than 1 dry one. Probably worth the extra $.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:14 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah I looked at that too, and I agree with the sentiment of worth more.

However I find the 'training' problematic for me.

After all it's self-referential by definition. I understand it is reflective of it's primacy. I would rather have at least a programming option to manually set a baseline.

That would allow me an absolute comparison of progress rather then the relative progress that the present programming offers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

One quick note on the Mindwave, change your default COM port baud rate from 9600 to 57,600 . this will greatly improve data speeds / performance. Also on newer computers like Vista and windows 7 it will be called bits per sec.

thynes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thynes wrote:One quick note on the Mindwave, change your default COM port baud rate from 9600 to 57,600 . this will greatly improve data speeds / performance. Also on newer computers like Vista and windows 7 it will be called bits per sec.

thynes
Is 57.6Kbps the top that particular device can transmit data ? Does it record data at that same speed or is there a bottleneck at some point between those two functions of recording and transmission to computer ?