Return Home
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not make an initial post to start a new thread on this forum once you advance beyond the beginner level of posts. This forum is an experiment with the purpose of encouraging the participation of those who have so far only hung out in the background and looked over the bulletin board. It is intended to be a place where things are orderly for beginners without the free interaction of the main board. Post only with care for the recognition that we are welcoming a new member and not arguing with a fellow old timer. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Free Will Revisited
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well we are off to a rough start but I think we can bring it around. I think once we all get a little more info about perhaps the difference between the MBT concept of free will and the 350 year old argument for or against it I think that probably will help. You said something that clicked, let's see what was it, oh yes as about the religions currently on our planet. I said something like that today on facebook I think, maybe yesterday...

The 350 year old argument, what is the Reader's Digest version and then read the MBT free will wiki and see what happens?
Love
Bette

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I've never really like the use of 'free will' either because I tend to want to bring along my intellectual baggage, as well. Sometimes, I have to replace it with 'the necessary characteristic of a fundamental consciousness system' to distinguish between what Tom means and what I want it to mean. For those who aren't quite so influenced by their intellect, the concept is trivially easy - for the rest of us, it isn't.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I really have never got the school of thought that their is no freewill, In fact when I first came across A board of scientist discussing how they were not free to choose, I was totally amazed, IT was Richard Dawkins and some of his buddies, I thought they were joking around, But after listening for about 20 minutes I caught on they were serous. Honestly I just don't get it! It just seems to me these types of people are talking about an abstract idea they heard about, and are not thinking about there own direct experiences. I get really confused sometime about the complexity and nature of reality. But not about consciousness being free to choose. Fred searching for truth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Haha yes, I couldn't agree with you guys any more.

At an intellectual level, I struggled with the concept of free will and had an especially hard time with it when reading MBT the first time. Moji's thread helped.

At a "direct experience" or subjective level, free will is a slap in the forehead kind of obvious. It seems absurd to even question the idea... of course, I make choices all the time!