Return Home
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Money well spent
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

It's difficult to figure out exactly what to say about My Big TOE. It's been a few weeks since I finished the trilogy and I'm still thinking about it quite a bit. The books delivered on the claims on the cover that enticed me to buy them, although I became more skeptical, while reading Part 1, of my decision to read the first book. From Part 2 until the end, I could not put the books down and constantly thought about my dumb luck in finding such a fundamentally compelling work. The TOE (from a physics perspective) alone is interesting enough to warrant a read and his dialog on scientific method in Part 2 really helped open my eyes to a realm of additional possibilities, but the true value is in the other thing :lol: .

Spark ignited.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:49 am 

If I may add just a quick comment to your posting-I have read and re-read MBT,and I'm always finding new things,and deeper understandings of things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

"If I may add just a quick comment..."

Yes, thank you! I do enjoy people's comments!

What you say is true, although at some point one must dip one's big toe into the pool to test the waters.

Post subject: Achieving OBE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:46 am 
Normal User
Normal User

I have just begun reading Book I and can hardly put it down. I have been working in the computer industry for over 25 years in a variety of roles and I relate to tc's mindset and observations using those concepts.

I have many questions which I imagine the books will answer as I go through them like, "What is the mechanism that maintains and supports the consciousness when it is out of the body?" The information that is the human personality is normally maintained and organized by the physicality of the brain tissue itself. What mechanism maintains the organization of information that constitutes a disembodied consciousness?

One question that won't be answered by the books though is, "How many readers of the Trilogy manage to achieve OBE and what is the time frame associated with success?" Anybody here getting it work and if so how long did it take?

Post subject: Achieving OBE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My Big TOE has definitely been an interesting read. I just finished and I know that I will probably be re-reading them in the near future. I have been interested in this sort of thing almost my entire life and this has clarified a lot of things that were questions. It also reinforced a lot of the ideas I had arrived at through other study and my own intuition. I happened upon them because of an intense interest in the work of Robert Monroe and the Monroe Institute. I knew Tom Campbell was a big contributor in the early days and a google search of him turned up the books. To me, these books make one of the best attempts at finally explaining the why of it all. In other words, I LOVED THEM!

rb: "The information that is the human personality is normally maintained and organized by the physicality of the brain tissue itself. "
I think that as you read the books you will see that this is a very PMR-centric view that isn't quite correct. That's like saying the music is the radio it is coming out of. The music exists independently of the radio but the radio makes it possible to hear the music with your physical hears. The brain and body are merely a type of technology we use to express our music in physical matter reality.
My answer to the other question about OBE is that My Big TOE isn't an OBE primer but could help you break the beliefs and fears that prevent them from happening. It still will take a lot of work. I have had limited OBEs myself but I am still working on it. Just keep at it. Others on this board, I am sure, have had much more success than I have.
Not trying to sound like a know-it-all but just sharing my views. The books will do a good job of answering your questions.

Ramon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rp,
Sorry, I accidentally typed rb instead of rp in my last post. No offense intended.
I bet with a computer background you will really get the books better than I did with my very basic knowledge of them. I am trying to get my brother to read them now because he has a similar background as you. Happy reading!
Ramon

Post subject: Re: Achieving OBE
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:50 am 
Normal User
Normal User

"the brain and body are merely a type of technology we use to express our music in physical matter reality."

I just read the part where tc starts seeing auras around trees, people, and objects. Then he is presented a photograph and seeing auras in it.

Immediately I began to wonder if the rods and cones of the retina were picking up this information to produce these images or not. The information about the aura is being put into the brain and married to the visual data from the eyes at some point either at the 'transducer' of the retina or some other transducer within the brain itself. See what I'm saying? Seeing the aura in the photograph suggests that the information about the aura was recorded by photographic means and could be seen by tc in the photo but not his friend who showed him the picture. Its a simple problem. How does data get from point A to point B? What is the mechanism? That is the question that presents itself to me when considering these things.

I don't mean to ask questions that have been answered here already so forgive me. I just read tc's answer to this elsewhere although how this information gets in the minds eye isn't really gone into in that answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rp,
Tom writes about the mind and brain in chapter 11 Book 2 of My Big TOE and also in the Philosophy/Metaphysics section of this board if you haven't already seen it. Very interesting stuff. You raise good questions. I hope to find the answers to them as well.
Ramon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:50 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is what Tom had to say about seeing this type of phenomena:

"Short note: Your physical eyes/optical nerve are picking the topic/object of interest and giving it an image while your mind’s eye perceives the glowing border and interprets it as part of the image. The glowing border is not producing light energy that is focused by the lens of the physical eyeball. The two images (object and border) are probably combined somewhere in the visual cortex of the brain rather than in the optical nerve. That is why it works as well with a photo as a live object -- and why you can focus on your object and see the border with your eyes closed and your object many miles away. The object image is often just not as detailed. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:35 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

If this physical existence and my awareness of it are only a subset of my total 'consciousness' and there are processes occurring within the portion of my 'consciousness' I am 'unconscious' of marrying this data together and presenting it to my conscious mind ... then ... I get a headache and the whole thing collapses into absurdity. Direct experience would most likely be the only thing that would convince a person of this, however it would seem to be a 'realization' that would be impossible to 'retain' in the PMR brain. Like I said, headache inducing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

rp,

A very short reply from France.
The sub consciousness and super (higher) consciousness are old ideas. There is much that you are not in control of -- much of your function that lies beyond your direct awareness. Your heart beats just fine without your aware direction and without creating any headaches. Likewise, your intuition alerts you and provides information without your direction. You lntellectually excersize partial control over only that small part of your multidimensional being that is aware within this virtual physical reality. Reading MBT should make these concepts much clearer.

Tom C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:23 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

rp,

To an individual, if PMR is the basis for reality, then extra-PMR phenomena would probably be headache-inducing because the phenomena does not causally reduce to the PMR rule-set - hence, it is unfathomable. Part of the process of increasing the quality of one's consciousness is expanding the limits of what is possible. Without doing this, there is no larger reality, no higher-level rule set, and little hope for significant growth. It is possible, however, for the PMR "brain" to grasp these big picture concepts if that brain is not limited by belief traps and little picture logic.

"...there are processes occurring within the portion of my 'consciousness' I am 'unconscious' of marrying this data together and presenting it to my conscious mind..."

It's not that there are two different data streams (one PMR and one NPMR) for you consciousness to join - it is all just incoming data from one source. When auras are seen, it isn't really that the aura just so happens to be in the shape of the physical object. For instance, an aura of a person usually is an outline of the person, but this is because "person" is defined by the see-er as the physical body and the aura applies to that object. This is not to say that an aura can not be a different shape or be visible with nothing but intent focused on the target person. Because this data is not caused by the PMR rule-set, there is no causal relationship between it and PMR - we only tend to see it this way because we correlate a person with their body and PMR with reality. As these boundaries loosen, confusion subsides as the limiting beliefs no longer force the data to fit them. Direct experience won't help much because when one reaches into the concept barrel, there are only PMR concepts in it and so they are used for the incoming experience. Think of dreams; they are assumed to always be "just the action of the brain", but they are only that way, by necessity, if dreams are caused by brains. So, what is in the concept barrel defines the interpretation of the data - expanding the the contents of the barrel removes conceptual limitations and increases potential. Very nice indeed, eh?

-Moji

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:12 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand the autonomic nervous system analogy and can see how that might extend to my consciousness in general. It just makes the necessity of personal experience that much more ...urgent is the word that keeps coming up.

One thing that listening to Tom's Coast to Coast interview and reading what I have read of his work has done, is it has clarified for me the total implausibility or 'little picture' nature of the 'god' concept as humanity understands and promotes it.

I think I have been able to reach that point in meditation where I can observe my thoughts and realize that I am that to which the thoughts are occurring and not the thoughts themselves but that is about as far as my true understanding goes at this point. I desire and intend to 'wake up' fully if at all possible.

At any rate, thanks once again for the time, both of you. I hope you are enjoying your time in Europe Tom.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:25 pm 
Normal User
Normal User

"I think I have been able to reach that point in meditation where I can observe my thoughts and realize that I am that to which the thoughts are occurring and not the thoughts themselves but that is about as far as my true understanding goes at this point. I desire and intend to 'wake up' fully if at all possible."

Ha! What I described in the above paragraph is nothing more than another delusion. It is merely a disassociated state and not a true subject object relationship as I once thought.