Return Home
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 pm

All times are UTC-06:00

Forum rules

Do not ask questions about the model of Reality here. Only discuss principles and practical applications.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:18 pm 
Curator
Curator

Principle 14: Fear as the opposite of love is the basis for ego

Fear as the opposite emotion to love is the basis for ego as the mechanism for protection against fears. Fear and ego should thus both be reduced as a distortion of our true natures. This will not however remove ego as the sense of existence as a being.

Origin:

Tom has actually written about this several times as a direct statement. However as not being fundamental to his model and description of reality, it is stated here as a Secondary Principle. Not readily derived from Primary Principles, but because Tom has stated it clearly, it is not necessary to derive it from Primary Principles.
Quote:
Fear is fundamental -- it is the opposite of love, which is also fundamental. Fear manifests itself in your thoughts, intents, and choices in many ways (all related to each other) -- ego, expectations, needs, wants, and desires are all interrelated, self focused (vector pointing inward), and generated by fear.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2566&p=8829
Quote:
Personality and ego are not the same thing. An evolved being with little ego is not an emotionally blank zombie with no personality. In fact, it is just the opposite. For example, it would be a good guess that Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and Mother Teresa all carried around significantly less ego than most of their fellow PMR residents, yet all had exceptionally strong personalities. Lowering personal entropy leads to raising personal power. Love, rather than fear and ego, makes a strong, solid foundation for personality to form around.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3610&p=9764
Quote:
Fear is the opposite of love, fear is the enemy. Guilt, ego, and arrogance are nothing but fear. Fear creates a handle by which one can be manipulated.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2787&p=3969

Initial Application:

Tom Campbell in the above quotations has actually provided a suitable initial application of this Principle in the statements quoted above which I restate here:
Quote:
For example, it would be a good guess that Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, and Mother Teresa all carried around significantly less ego than most of their fellow PMR residents, yet all had exceptionally strong personalities. Lowering personal entropy leads to raising personal power. Love, rather than fear and ego, makes a strong, solid foundation for personality to form around.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:19 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

So it would be wise to say that we are here to become more organized and productive, by staying calm in the mist of fear storms. So as to diminish, as to have more positive power to effect things? Fred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:02 pm 
Curator
Curator

This is not a prescription for how to deal with or 'meet' fear by as you mention, remaining calm, or some other approach. It is rather the idea that you have fears because of being less developed, having a lower QoC, you cannot meet things with love, openness to experience, but instead your primary approach to 'other' is fear. Most would think of hate as the opposite of love. This is a more expansive version of love than is commonly understood within the English language which orients more towards Eros than Agape and Empathy or Compassion. This is where ego steps in, providing its protective function.

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:33 am 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Let me clarify, when i get fearful as i personally do, and that EGO of pointing towards self becomes present. For me i face that fear knowing that it is now in my awareness, and function through it, so as it always seems to do, diminish. And when it starts fading out of my awareness, my organization and performance, becomes more productive. So for me it seems to be working and moving me slowly towards those LOVE states of being. Fred

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

One of the things I have struggled most in my life is fear.
Fear of rejection
Fear of being less
Fear of being ugly
Fear of being ill
Fear of dying
Fear of not having the time
Fear of dissappearing
Fear of too open spaces
Fear of closed spaces
Fear of being famous
Fear of being unknown
Fear of being fat
Fear of being thin
Fear of not being intelligent enough
Fear of being too intelligent
Fear of being envious
Fear of being envied
Fear of being abandoned
Fear of abandoning
Fear of existing
Fear of not existing
And many other fears,

To overcome fears, only loving has helped me.
Thinking less about myself, and more about others,
Overcoming aggression with love

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:47 pm 
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Dinah, reacting out of caring and LOVE agreed do seem to be the ticket quite often. But for me when i am faced with very high pressure situations, where i must become organized, so as to function in fluid ways. It is not so much about reacting out of this caring, as it is my highly focused intent to remain clam and start to organize the information into a more productive state. There are many ways of facing and diminishing our fears, and i have found staying calm in the mist of them to be the first step.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is true, Fred.

Staying calm is the ideal attitude. Not to react immediately.

Nevertheless, that requires practice, until it becomes a habit.

By the way, keeping calm spares you a lot of illnesses.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:55 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Quote:
Principle 14: Fear as the opposite of love is the basis for ego
I can agree with "Fear creates a handle by which one can be manipulated" But i would had put hate as being the opposite of love.

Too me you cannot have up without down, left without right or even good without bad because both sides need to balance out and cancel just like happens in maths.

Take "Fear" and you have "carm" or maybe relaxed, confident or even a mix like a colour made up of other colours but for each color you must have an oppoisite color (think RGB)

In most cases, given time I can pair almost anything up apart from when it comes to knowladge or data which some people say can never be destroyed, not that I agree but in most cases science and logic would seem to confirlm what I am saying but this seems at odds with much of what I have read on the board.

I am not spiritual in the least, cold heart and very logical (think I might have had ADHD before it was invented) and see being happy as my process gets a bigger time slice or the clock up's the frequency of the CPU or the voltage is increased to 4v if thats the way you make a program feel happy.

what part am i missing do you think we could agree on given we both agree we are inside some type of computer ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:02 pm 
Curator
Curator

In an unpublished comment to me, Tom wrote:
Quote:
In the book, I define love in terms of entropy: "Love is the nature of a low entropy consciousness."

"Consciousness becoming love" and "becoming a low entropy consciousness" are the same thing.

Low entropy interaction between IUOCs is described as other-centered: cooperative, caring, about others rather than self, empathetic, compassionate, etc. -- these are interaction with love based intent, they produce building, constructing, growing, optimization of the entire system, satisfaction, contentment, joy, and happiness in the long term.

High entropy interaction between IUOCs is describes as self-centered, all about me and mine, cooperative only when it is in my best interest, care mostly about myself, empathy and compassion are attributes of weakness, trust no one, manipulate others to my ends, take rather than give, etc. -- these are interactions with a fear based intent, they produce self-destruction, dissolution, tearing apart, turmoil, dissatisfaction, unhappiness, depression, pain, and chaos in the long term.
I have written recently, trying to put this into terms that board members can see based upon their own experience and understanding that this is true. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9002&hilit=love+my ... =15#p83085 See if this and following posts helps understanding how this principle arises. Further, I would point out, that English lacks words with the exact definitions which Tom finds himself needing to state the ideas which he wishes and needs to transmit to others to understand the nature of Reality. Tom has written up a paper putting forwards these definitions for ready reference. Here is the link from which this paper can be downloaded. viewtopic.php?f=257&t=8833#wrapheader There have been updates of this paper but I think that this gets the latest and present version.

You have a lot to cover if you wish to get fully up to speed. The original books suffer the limitation of having to be developed and written for 'beginners' in understanding these concepts. Tom's video presentations, while being immediate and compelling in their own way, suffer from the limitation of videos to present complex subjects deeply. It is intended that the Wiki, once on line again, provides a permanent repository of the most succinct but complete and in depth information and that this board is the place to ask questions at whatever depth you wish or need to take your understanding as far as you are able.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I hope to read the Wiki soon, because I really want to go deeper. Necessarily Tom had to simplify so that people could understand.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 am 
Normal User
Normal User

Ted

I think the way to go is video presentations with maybe visual aids like charts, diagrams and drawings.

This subject is not main stream and having documents at Phd levels is not something most people are going to read or take a degree in.

Like the saying goes a picture says a million words but i know its not always easy