Return Home
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:39 am

All times are UTC-06:00

Post subject: Brain Death
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 pm 

I am a paramedic and have started your My BIG Toe trilogy. My question is how do you explain brain death? so far I am in book two ( half way through) and from what I gather the brain is just a medium of mind that sorts to relay the info to the physical body. Knowing how the endrocrine system works with the brain and understandng the mind brain corolation if the brain is dead how do you explain how the body can live. Does this mean the mind is no longer in contact with the brain? if so how does the body function?

Post subject: Re: Brain Death
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi hubstr,
Welcome to Tom's site, in case you haven't already been. A paramedic, I think that is a wonderful choice of careers, and I know it is a difficult assignment, if you will. It seems you have even more opportunity to make very important choices with immediate feedback, wow, come to think of it that makes you a very brave soul, or Individuated Unit Of Consciousness (IUOC) in My Big TOE (MBT) terminology.

Okay, brain death. The first thing to keep in mind is the Virtual Reality (VR) aspect of this Physical Matter Reality (PMR) in which you are playing the part of a paramedic. When there is another IUOC in front of you hooked to a brain wave measuring device reading "no one home", but the physical (but really virtual) body is kept functioning by mechanizational methods, as if the physical body is just a meat suit, or meat puppet, it is because the physical body is just a meat suit or mean puppet. Consciousness of which you are an IUOC piece of, in a holistic manner, is what is real, what is not virtual or data streaming through your IUOC so that what seems real in whatever frame of conscious awareness you are in seems real. Ted or Tom will have a much better answer, but here are my thoughts on it.
Love to you and yours,
Bette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hubstr,

This subject has scant connection to Tom's interviews, lectures and workshops and should be posted elsewhere. Perhaps in "Wud I Say" which is sort of a catch all. So lets move this thread while it is still short (no more posts until it is relocated) from this particular forum and take it up elsewhere. If the brain were actually dead (equivalent to being removed from the body), the body would, if left on its own, die. "Brain dead" refers to loss of cognitive function and awareness. If your computer processor lost every other 1 or zero, it couldn't communicate or perform any of its functions. It would be brain dead. However the hard drives would still spin, the CD tray would open and shut, and the power light would remain on. The case would not change, it would remain fully functional. You are confusing mental awareness with physical function. Consciousness continues with or without a brain. The body is a machine -- if you can force the heart to beat, the chest to breathe and feed it through a tube, the body can "live" for a long time without a consciousness inhabiting it - as a marginally functioning carcass. The consciousness returns to NPMR and begins planning its next adventure -- it doesn't have to wait for its virtual body to die as long as the probability of that body ever hosting a consciousness again is infinitesimal.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:00 pm 

Hi all, my name is Nathan. I have been reading your posts for a long time and have enjoyed what you've all contributed. I am reading the trilogy now and enjoying it. I plan on asking ya'll some questions once I have finished the trilogy. For now though, I'd like to know why Tom refers to himself in the third person in this thread? Is "twcjr" a different "Tom" than Thomas Campbell? Thanks!
Quote:
hubstr,

This subject has scant connection to Tom's interviews, lectures and workshops and should be posted elsewhere. Perhaps in "Wud I Say" which is sort of a catch all. So lets move this thread while it is still short (no more posts until it is relocated) from this particular forum and take it up elsewhere. If the brain were actually dead (equivalent to being removed from the body), the body would, if left on its own, die. "Brain dead" refers to loss of cognitive function and awareness. If your computer processor lost every other 1 or zero, it couldn't communicate or perform any of its functions. It would be brain dead. However the hard drives would still spin, the CD tray would open and shut, and the power light would remain on. The case would not change, it would remain fully functional. You are confusing mental awareness with physical function. Consciousness continues with or without a brain. The body is a machine -- if you can force the heart to beat, the chest to breathe and feed it through a tube, the body can "live" for a long time without a consciousness inhabiting it - as a marginally functioning carcass. The consciousness returns to NPMR and begins planning its next adventure -- it doesn't have to wait for its virtual body to die as long as the probability of that body ever hosting a consciousness again is infinitesimal.

Tom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:02 pm 
Curator
Curator

I deleted you earlier post as being essentially identical, less one question, than this one.

Tom is not referring to himself in the third person. He is referring to one of the forums on this board known as Tom's interviews, lectures and workshops. He just didn't bother to be formal and put it into bold or otherwise designate it as a forum title.

Regarding your other question, twcjr is just the log in name Tom Campbell selected for himself. His name is Thomas W. Campbell, Jr. so thence, twcjr. As simple as that. Tom usually just refers to himself as Tom as you see. And no, to forestall another question that has been asked, Ted is not Tom but a long time student of Tom.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:10 pm 

Quote:
I deleted you earlier post as being essentially identical, less one question, than this one.

Tom is not referring to himself in the third person. He is referring to one of the forums on this board known as Tom's interviews, lectures and workshops. He just didn't bother to be formal and put it into bold or otherwise designate it as a forum title.

Regarding your other question, twcjr is just the log in name Tom Campbell selected for himself. His name is Thomas W. Campbell, Jr. so thence, twcjr. As simple as that. Tom usually just refers to himself as Tom as you see. And no, to forestall another question that has been asked, Ted is not Tom but a long time student of Tom.

Ted
Thanks for the clarification Ted and my apologies about the double post. I look forward to talking more with you and everyone else here. Cheers!